1/48 QF-4E Conversion (of sorts)

Started by George Johnson · 6 · 6 years ago · Hasegawa, Phantom, QF-4, Target Drone
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 3 months ago:

My experience with entering social media-driven 'group builds" has never been good, and I guess I haven't learned from my mistakes, but here goes anyway. I started this thing about 2 weeks ago. It started out as a Hasegawa F-4G and it's been sitting on a shelf collecting dust for over 2 decades. I'm converting it to a QF-4E target drone primarily because I really like to model badly weathered aircraft. I started to use and equally old Black Box resin cockpit set, but most of the parts crumbled when I tried to remove them from their pour stubs. I ended up using a couple of parts like the RIO's instrument panel and a map holder. The seats are from an Eduard F-4J set for the new Academy kit (another disaster).The kit is actually not that bad. The detailing is pretty good and the fit is excellent. My models are never that accurate and this one will be no exception. The instruments are really soviet instrument decals. I think these are flown out of Tyndall AFB, but I may be wrong.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I've seen your work, George, and this build can't turn out anyway but good - regardless of its' "authenticity". Just look at that cockpit (I rest my case). 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 3 months ago:

George, I thought I was the only one whose stash gathered dust for decades. I don't see drones very much, great choice of a subject.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, fellas. I thought the choice of subject matter would be pretty cool. I'll have a few pics tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

I like your thinking on an old airframe, with a nice colorful scheme and a canvas for heavy weathering! Looking good so far - at least the cockpit looks stellar!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Greg. I'm thinking about exaggerating the colors a bit, too to try to give it that late afternoon cast.