1/48 Tamiya P-38 (Yes I got One!)

Started by Darren Dickerson · 32 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Darren Dickerson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Everyone

A good friend in Tokyo managed to get me one and delivered it within days. I have spent the last 3 weeks working on it between other projects (Tamiya Marder III and Airfix Hunter). Suffice to say it is a great kit and I expect the final production version when available later this year will be even better. I only say this as the pre-production kits use a softer plastic and some of the details are not as sharp as you would normally expect in recent Tamiya kits.

Assembly is straightforward and the use of locking tabs, spars and thoughtful engineering is first rate. The cockpit detail is excellent and would save your $$ for maybe an ultracast seat and wheels. I will be adding UC seat and wheels, and Master P-38 barrels, as the kits barrel parts are probably one of the weaker aspects of this new kit, though final production versions may be better. The only other minor issue is that you must assemble some of the UC parts as part of the UC assembly (when you get one you know what I mean) and these are prone to accidental damage...I have made a temporary stand for my P-38 to minimise the chance of such damage. The UC doors themselves are superbly engineered with keyed tabs that probably wouldn't even require glue to set in position perfectly. I will be onto major painting soon, more updates to follow.

Happy Modelling

Darren

34 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to the end result(s) on this one - thanks for the update.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Coming together really well. Looking forward to seeing it complete. I got a chance to look at a sample of the kit that was sent to my local hobby store. It looks really awesome.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Lucky you showing off to the rest of us, mere mortals, who have to wait another 2 months or so to get this beauty 😉 Darren, it does look fantastic, au pair with their latest releases. The wheel wells look gorgeous with that weathering. Can’t wait to see the complete model. What decal scheme are you going to do?

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Yeah, what a " Golden Nugget"...other folks would have placed this kit on Evil-bay and would tried to score a few dollars. This happened with the Eduard P-51D with someone wanting over a hundred dollars . This is very charitable of you Darren. I like how you have painted the cockpit and have taken the time to show some of the parts break down and some of the design features. Looking forward to seeing you completing this model .

• Profile Photo

I have a scheme planned that was made possible by a good friend who has the Eduard Early Lightning boxing and gave me the kit decals which has some really cool markings, I chose the following P-38F -
    P-38F-15-LO, s/n 43-2166 , 1st FG, 27th FS, Tunisia, 1943.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks like a good choice!

• Profile Photo

Update to the P-38 Build - have moved on to painting - NG undersides mottled with a few different greys over a random rubber black pre-shade. Trying to make it random as possible, only tonight added the nose (hence the black pres-shade) and fitted the smaller Master barrels ( the longer ones will get in the way methinks). Wingtips are painted red and now masked off. The canopy will take time to mask up so will take my time and ensure all good before the topsides are started, bar some preliminary pre-shade mottle/streaks/squiggles. Drop tanks, wheels and UC doors in the paint shop as well - props are done waiting for some decals. I can see myself building a few of these - great kit and 5 stars from me!

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Definitely no dearth of detail from what I can see! Looking great.

• Profile Photo

Sweet build so far

• Profile Photo

Greg

The detail is there, though I have accentuated most of the rivets and panels lines a little deeper. A few hours spent doing this...

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 7 months ago:

WoW! I think I may have to get one of these when they become available. It looks great! I can only compare it to the old Monogram version ... which I like a lot ... and have made two of, years (decades) ago - when it was a fairly new release. The P-38 is one of my all-time favourite aircraft ... actually, number 1 or 2, depending on how I feel that day! Not to mention that it's an earlier version than the old MonoG offering.

I look forward to seeing this finished, Darren! Thanks for a great report.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 7 months ago:

PS – I really like the markings set you’ve decided to use, too!

Bravo!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Wow, that’s some great detail. And nice job on the painting/weathering. The big choice now is do I get this, the AMK F-14D, or both? I think I know the answer.

At any rate, this is looking great and I’m looking forward to seeing the finished model. Nice job Darren!

• Profile Photo

any serious modeller would buy both...whether you build them is another matter 🙂