1/72 109's (no - this is not Erik!)

Started by Greg Kittinger · 65 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Academy, Airfix, avia, Avis, Bf 109, C, E-3/4, F, Frog, s-199, Tamiya G6
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Greg @gkittinger - here we go;

Having checked a few of my files, first of all, I did remember incorrectly; the Friedrich did not have pressurization. That was from early G-models. You are of course correct in removing the air intakes for cooling the sparkplugs.

As goes for the F-3 some claim 15, others 20 planes were made, and they have been difficult to trace. The F-3 and F-4 did use 87-octane B-4 fuel (the F-4Z with GM-1 nitrous oxide addition), but the main difference is in the Motorkanone! Externally the F-3 and F-4 are very similar, but the F-3 used the MG-FF/M as the engine-gun, and the difference is thus mostly to be seen in the cockpit with the large cover for the bulky drum-fed MG, the F-4 using the MG-151.

As goes for the strengtheners on the aft fuselage, they were often field-mounted on those that did not have them from the factory. The F-4 mostly had them from the factory.
    Many F-4s were completed with the round wheel wells as seen on earlier F’s, and the major difference is the air intake for the supercharger with all F-4 being the “fatter” type, earlier planes usually had the smaller round ones, the square type being typical on WNF built F-1’s (these also had a steel-plate wheel in many cases). Those F-4's with round wheel wells were re-manufactured from repaired early F-2's and F-1's, and no matter how you define them, all surviving early F’s were rebuild to F-4 standard as they returned for major service. So in conclusion, if you choose round ones for a F-4 it is no less correct than squared off ones. The real clear identifier is the fuel-triangle; if it is labeled for 100-octane C3 it is most likely an F-2. (contrary to some claims that high-performance engines need 100octane the DB's were using 87 octane in the DB60E, the DB601N needing 100octane)

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

@airbum - thanks Erik! I'll make sure to scrutinize my decals to match the correct "model!"

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Greg, @gkittinger
    You have made some splendid progress.

It is a lot of fun to watch these kits come together, and looking at the pictures you posted showing the raised rivets on the Airfix kit reminds me of a much simpler time... My very first 109 kit was the ancient 1/48 "scale" Aurora "Me-109"... It was molded in a red / wine colored plastic... It had raised marks where the decals were supposed to be, and it hardly resembled a true to life 109. It did come with a cool looking display stand. I ended up getting the Aurora FW-190, and their P-38 too, both of these were "supposed" to be 1/48 as well... The FW was molded in a sinister looking black plastic. The box art had a black and yellow FW illustration on the cover.

Back when I was a kid, I would slam a kit together in a few hours and then add the decals... When I first started building, I didn't even worry about painting them !

Now times have changed. I can spend hours digging around on the Internet for information.

We are lucky to have good friends here who share their knowledge with us.
    Erik @airbum
    is such a person...

• Profile Photo

Quick update - got the decals on, and should head toward the finish line pretty quickly. The F is almost ready for paint.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great progress, Greg.
    Just a few more steps and you have a nice looking 109 to display.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Mmmmm, looking great Greg, @gkittinger!
    Looking forward to see this beauty done!

• Profile Photo

Molto bene!

• Profile Photo

@airbum - thank goodness for online translation! Thanks...

• Profile Photo

@gkittinger - yes, I had to doublecheck my spelling too. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Come ha detto il nostro amico @airbum, un magnifico modello di un aereo iconico, Greg @gkittinger! 🙂

• Profile Photo

ora sembra essere avvincente @fiveten

Sorry Greg - could not help it. Knowing the dangers of machinetranslations I will stop now - happy modeling @gkittinger (I wrote something along the lines that it seemed to be catching on, but I have no idea what translate really wrote - remember Monty Pythons translation sketch ("I will not buy this record, it is scratched"))!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Alright Abbott & Costello! @airbum, @fiveten Don't you know English is the official language of the modeling community! 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

🙂

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

What? - Why don't nobody tell me anything. . . Thanx for the info @gkittinger 😀

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Greg, great build, great detail and looking forward to seeing the finished aircraft!