1/72 Twin-Tail Beaufighter

Started by George R Blair Jr · 70 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Alley Cat Models, Beaufighter TF.X, twin-tails
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Louis (@lgardner). If the part was flat rather than curved I would probably give scratchbuilding a try. I also thought about casting it, but the cost of getting some new resin (mine was so old it was solid) would start to rival the price of a new kit. I know there are other things you can use as a casting agent, but I have never had much success with anything else. My long range plan is to steal the part from the other Airfix Mk X I have, then see if I can find a resin engine, and build the next kit with the cowling off. As a side note, I went back to the Airfix website and found a forum where people can go to talk about missing parts. I think I was lucky. There were people who had no engines, one had one wheel missing, one was missing an elevator assembly...you get the idea. All were bemoaning the fact that Airfix doesn't replace missing parts. Another side note: I completely cleaned and straightened my building area for a radius of 6 or 7 feet. So, unless the cat carried it off to her treasure trove of shiny objects, then I am positive the part was never in my zip code. Stay safe!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Hi George @gblair and Louis @lgardner!

Such a pity that Airfix do not replace missing parts.

The last decade, when Airfix were "cousins" with Heller and Revell sported the "blue boxes", you could ask "anything" missing from a kit and they would send it to you, ASAP, free of charge. This included deformed or broken clear parts, decal sheets, practically everything. Even if the nature of the cause could be the builder, they just send everything you asked from them, free of charge, no questions asked, provided they had it as spare, which was usually the case.

They might even take the part from one of the other editions of the kit. always free of charge, no questions asked.

I loved that approach, it was so modeler friendly and relieving and it was a plus to my brand preferences.

Seems that things have changed...

Since kit costs are not exactly low, I believe there's room for a manufacturer to easily take care of that. It is very relieving for a modeler to know that the integrity of his kit will be reassured by the manufacturer, no matter what.

Modeling community is comprised by noble people and a movement form the kit manufacturers towards the direction of free "after sales" providing missing/deformed parts will be utmostly appreciated, win-win for everybody.

I know that a number of companies, like Special Hobby, take care of that and it is a BIG plus for me!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Sad story with Airfix and the missing service. Could be down to most production being in another country than their headoffice, I do not know.

In the past I have experienced faulty parts in Eduard and Special Hobby kits. Eduard sent me cutoffs from a sprue, great service! On another occasion I had damaged a PE part and asked if I might buy a replacement - a new PE arrived without charge!

A while back I inspected a Special Hobby kit and found a part was not fully cast, asked for a replacement but told them that there was no rush. I forgot all about it, and the other day a parcel arrived with some new kits I had ordered - and in that parcel was a new sprue with the part I had asked for (and forgotten about)

Great service.

Sorry, it got a bit long - hope you are able to replace your missing part somehow, but at least you got the build area cleaned in the process 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

A sad moment when you notice a missing part.
    But even more sad if you discover that, in this case Airfix, notes that they will not sent a replacement.
    Would be a small action for them to cheer up a modeller.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

It would also speak volumes for customer support. Things like this can influence my decision on if I am going to purchase a model or not. Sadly customer service is a thing of the past with most companies... It sounds like both Special Hobby and Eduard are doing the right thing with this, and that should earn them a larger fan base, and increase their sales.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Man - such a bummer! I hate having to consider making a perfectly good kit into a "spares box" because I need to rob a part. I'm trying to figure out how to secure a Navy F-4B pylon to make an early USAF F-4C (straight pylons) without doing the same thing. Although it is a more angular part, I'm not sure I want to attempt shaping a piece of styrene...but I hate to have a Navy Phantom left over with no pylon!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Erik (@airbum), John (@JohnB), and Louis (@lgardner). You are right. I suspect Airfix doesn't offer parts because their offices and the model factory are in two different places. I know the Airfix offices are in England, and I think the models are manufactured in China. You would think that having offices and manufacturing in two different places is not an insurmountable problem that would prevent supplying missing parts. Atlantis Models (the guys that release many of the old Revell kits) also replace parts. I got one of the old B-25s that sit on the old pylon with a "globe" base, and the main canopy was missing. I contacted their customer service and had a replacement in a couple of weeks.

I am with you, Greg (@gkittinger). I had to think long and hard about stealing one part from a brand new kit. As for the F-4 pylons, it seems like you could get the Navy F-4 pylons in resin in the 1970s. Have you looked around for any from the online stores and companies? I have also found some reasonable parts and conversions on Ebay, which I have only recently started using. I was worried about the payment part on Ebay, but I use Paypal and it all goes fine. I also didn't want to bid on something, but there are many sellers who allow you to buy immediately. I did a quick search on Ebay for "1/48 resin F-4b weapons pylons" and found several different sets of pylons. I don't know if they are the right one, but it might be worth a check. The Hasegawa weapons sets also had pylons in them, but I don't know if they are the correct ones for your F-4B.

• Profile Photo

The build is moving again. I decided to pull the trigger on stealing the part from the 2nd Airfix Mk X kit that I had. My plan is to "borrow" the part to get this current model finished, and then look for a solution that doesn't involve tossing the whole kit in the spares box. I may move forward with trying to cast one, but I also have a friend who told me he might be able to make a copy using his 3D printer. I am starting to think I might be able to save the 2nd kit from the parts box.

The first task was to assemble the engine nacelles. They were a little awkward to build. You first had to assemble the 3 parts of the nacelle to the engine ring. There is a raised line inside each part of the nacelle to aid in positioning the nacelle sides, but the instructions didn't seem very clear about which side of the raised line the engine ring was supposed to go. Hopefully my coin toss was correct, since everything seems to fit.

Once the sides were together, the engine front (which consists of two parts) had to be added to the nacelle sides. It took a while to get everything lined up, but I found that copious amounts of foul language aided in positioning all of the parts in their respective places. For this conversion, the front of the nacelle was replaced with a resin piece. There is also a resin replacement for engine exhausts, which will be added later. Once everything was solid, I added the engines/nacelles to the wings, along with an intake on the top of the nacelle.

I assembled the propeller, which consists of 3 kits parts. The conversion also includes a rather large spinner, which I also cleaned up in preparation for addition. It all seems over-engineered, but it was easy enough to build.

I spent the rest of my time cleaning up the rest of the resin parts in preparation for their addition. It is starting to look like a Beaufighter, so I am starting to look forward to the paint and decals

Everyone stay safe.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good George !

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Allan (@kalamazoo).

• Profile Photo

Looking great indeed, George @gblair!
    I love the resin exhausts!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten). I can't say enough about the Alley Cat resin conversion set. Really nice castings that fit perfectly.

• Profile Photo

Things seem to be rolling now.

The first thing I did today was to get all of the intakes on the wings in place, and then finished my work on the nacelles. From there, it was on to the main landing gear. When I first looked at the gear, it seemed they were overly complex. Each landing gear was made up of 4 plastic pieces. Although they looked like an accident ready to happen when I first checked out the instructions, they actually went together very smoothly. After both main landing gears were assembled, I let them sit and solidify for 12 hours or so.

Also did a little work on the tires and the props. The tires are made up of the kit tires and a more detailed resin hub. They went together well and look pretty good. The props were painted yellow, and then the tips were masked. The blades were painted black. This plane had large spinners over over the prop hubs. I wasn't sure what color they should be, but all of the photos I found on google were black, so that is good enough for me.

The last thing I wanted to tackle today was the tail section. There were three parts to add to the tail: the two vertical stabilizers and a new tail cone. The tail cone fit perfectly on to the existing fuselage plastic. I was surprised by the fit of the vertical stabilizers. The vertical stabilizers were easily added to the horizontal stabilizers with a firm fit that held everything in place while the super glue dried.

Not much left to do before we go to the paint shop. I am starting to see the end of the road here (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself).

Cheers.

• Profile Photo

What a good, solid progress, George @gblair!
    Everything converges so as you can head to the paint shop!
    I love details as the separate wheel hubs: they make life easier, the result sharper and can easily substituted by resins!
    Nice work at the landing gear and the tail!
    Anticipation starts to build up ...
    Eagerly waiting!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Well done George. Looking like an old friend one haven't seen in a while. Everything looks familiar. . . but hey . . . wait a minute . . . something HAS changed . . .

Very nice conversion, and great progress after the minor setback with the nacelle. Hope your friend will be able to 3D a spare for you!