1:72 Scale Curtiss P-6E

Started by Frederick J Seitz III · 8 · 7 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 1 year, 2 months ago:

I was helping a buddy bring back a stash that an older gentleman wanted to cell. We drove up to Ocala, FL in two separate trucks to accomplish this mission of mercy. He had a storage bin FULL of boxes that were loaded with model kits. Literally thousands. We packed as much as we could and left, planning on returning in a couple of weeks to remove more.

Inside one of the boxes, I saw these blue Monogram boxes. There was this kit, the P-6, a Boing F4B-4, and another Curtiss Navy fighter, a F11C-2 "Goshawk". All in boxes that were in very good shape. AND, these are all first run, like when these were released in 1968. I also picked out a Curtiss P-36C.

Upon inspection, none had decals which, is pretty much what I expected after all this time. None had instructions either. Enter Star Fighter Decals and Hannants.

Star Fighter makes resin cockpits for all four kits. Only the F11C was sold out. Hannants saved the day for me, and it's on the way here as I write this. Decals for the P-36 and the F11 are also an issue, but I do have a line on them and will be good to go with them after this weekend.

Star Fighter also makes a PE fret for the rigging on all of these. Reasonably priced to boot. So $50 later. I have pretty much everything I need to get busy.

This is where I am right now. Model is painted, decaled and sealed. I want to get the rigging done, before attaching the main upper wing. I will have to paint the wheels and do a smattering of weathering to the air frame too, before I rig her. I am about to get a lesson on the care and handling of fine PE! Wish me luck, iModelers!

Markings are for a P-6E attached to the 17th Pursuit Squadron, based at Selfredge Field, Michigan. This is supposed to be the aircraft flown by Lt. Schlatter. The 17th, was known as the "Snow Owls", hence, the black and white feathers on the nose and the owl claws on the wheel spats.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

What an entry, my friend @fjs3! Just amazing that you acquired such an elderly kit. Excellent job so far and good luck with the tiny PE, I am sure your excellent skills will produce, as always, a supreme result!

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Ha ha, I guess we're going to find out, Spiros! Thanks for the vote of confidence.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Great entry indeed, Frederick @fjs3
    Your work sofar on this little kit is very nice, looking forward to see it finished.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looks awesome, Frederick (@fjs3). This really brings back the memories. I remember building all of these Monogram biplanes when they were new. You could get really nice looking models even if you didn't add the rigging. Well done. Ebay has a bunch of decals for the P-36 that look reasonably priced.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 1 year, 2 months ago:

These are very nice little kits to build, well designed and they come out very well. The Starfighter set will add a lot of pop to the end result.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Good luck Frederick!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 7 months, 3 weeks ago:

@fjs3. OMG! So tiny! I love it 🙂