Airmodel 1/72 Heinkel P.1078C Resin

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 142 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Airmodel, Heinkel, Luft '46, P.1078C, resin
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks my friend @airbum!
    Keeping you updated and receiving your constructive comments and kind words (together with the obligatory constant joking) is a most pleasing process and a constant source of inspiration for me!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Great work on this project, Spiros (@fiveten). I have always been hesitant to use super glue as a filler, although I have seen many people do it, because it becomes too hard if you wait too long. I have also seen people mix things like talcum powder with super glue to make a filler for models, but that also is a little bit out of my wheel house. Your spares must be better arranged than mine...when I am looking for something I can usually only find one of the pair I need.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I was not into superglue fiilling, it just turned out well here! I don't like to use supergIue as filler in styrene parts for sure.

Also, I am not into spares organizing madness, so my spares are kind of being thrown into big model boxes; all transparencies in a big ziplock bag and so on. The only I opt for is try to keep all "relevant" pieces (ie M2000 LG) attached to the sprue. Sometimes I am lucky!

Thanks for all kind words and following along, George@gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

G'day Spiros (@fiveten),
    You are a braver man than me tackling a resin kit.
    It is looking good.
    You could always take a leaf out of the He 162 book with regard to camaouflage - wings solid colours, different each side, with contrasting control surfaces and the fuselage a mix of paint and bare metal.
    Looking forward to see how this progresses.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Michael @michaelt!
    I just chose a "small and simple" resin kit for my first attempt. Being a whatiffer means I will have some structural allowances and camo excuses too!
    Will definitely take a look at the He 162 camos for inspiration!

• Profile Photo

Hi everyone!
    Paintshop time! Base color applied:

Isn't it a beauty?
    PS as a side note: it's interesting to observe how different the same color can look, depending on the lighting (and shadowing) conditions...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros (@fiveten), it is always worth to get the right light for a finished build, as you so nicely show here. It can make all the difference between a good and a great picture, and is worth remembering when we are ready for the final reveal of our hard work.
    Your 1078 is rolling steadly down the line my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @airbum!
    I so agree with your remarks!
    It might also be worth to point out the relativity if colour shade interpretation, based on a pic. ..
    That's why it is more important to focus on looking "right", rather than following " strict book rules" that might prove misleading...
    Well, just a thought...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The primer really shows how well your efforts with the superglue filler worked out. No sign of seams at all. My spares are arranged much like yours. Over the years I have gathered a lot of spare parts, and finding anything is sometimes pure luck.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Spotted a couple of barely visible mini glitches at bottom of the nose. Having forgotten to paint the landing gear doors, I decided as well to repaint the front section after smooth sanding the glitches.
    So here is the sequence:

Of interest is the shade looks under sunlight; it looks different than the two pics above, that looked different with each other! Same color, different lighting, different looks!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

G'day Spiros,
    Very nicely done with the wing roots.
    I'm looking forward to see your choice of camouflage.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi there Spiros. Just to let you know I’m keeping an eye on your build here. This kit looks like a real challenge and you’ve pulled it off superbly so far. I am also looking forward to how you paint this.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michael @michaelt and Eric @eb801!
    I am thinking of hastilly applying a dark green on topsides, leaving the light grey undersides. The dark green will not reach the wing edges, just loosely been applied on top, front antiglare area included.
    Aluminum wheel wells and rlm66 cockpit...

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Looking forward to your choice, Spiros (@fiveten). The good news is that whatever scheme you choose it won't take much paint.