Arado-96 1:72 Special Hobby, Royal Hungarian Air Force

Started by Csaba · 13 · 4 years ago · 1/72, Arado, hungary
  • Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 years ago:

This is planned as a quick build. Soon our first child is coming, and my time for building will be limited. So, as a last build before things are getting busy here…

Special Hobby released this kit a few years ago in 1:72 in different boxings. In this boxing an early Arado trainer with the Argus As10c engine as powerplant. The kit looks better than the previous Special Hobby kits I have seen. The kit is very simple, only a few resin and etched parts are included. Luckily the clear parts are injection molded, and are very clear. 5 markings are included, 2 Germans, 1 Slovakian and 2 Hungarians.

I moved away from Hungary moe than a decade ago, but of course planes from my homeland are still my favourite subjects. As I mentined above, two Hungarian markings are included, G.405 and G.429. The first one, G.405 is an all silver plane with the pre-1942 wedge style insignias, while the other wears a typical 4 tone Hungarian camouflage with the post-1942 crosses. Be aware, that the exact colors of this camouflage is heavily debated among the modellers and researchers. The main question is whether these colors were "standard" German RLM colors, or locally sourced paints, similar, but not identical to the RLM standards. I recommend to read through the available publications, look through the reference photos and make the decision yourself.

First I wanted to build the camouflaged version, but I realized that it breaks the nice lines of this small trainer. I think the silver color fits better the Arado. There are reference photos of both planes. G.405 is shown in silver colors after a belly landing, and a few months later, wearing the above mentioned camouflage as well. A close up shows the camouflaged G.429 with opened canopy and two pilots.

The instructions are clear, only a few things are queastionable. Special Hobby recommends multiple colors for the cockpit: According to them, some parts are RLM02, while others RLM66. I have seen a museum example in these colors, but I would go with overall RLM02 based on the photos I have seen.

Another tricky step is the gear bay assembly. The instructions are a little bit oversimplified, and the exact part location is not clear. I looked up a few reference photos to help me, when I reach that stage of the build.

So, that´s all for the start. I hope I will be able to get started witht the cockpit on this weekend.

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

This will be a great build, especially in a paint scheme that is not normally seen on this plane. Stock up on your free time before the baby comes. Your next free time will be about 12 years from now. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 years ago:

.Yep, I guess my time will be severely limited, but I hope I will be able to finish one or two builds a year. Let’s see... 🙂
    Today I cleaned up the parts, and built the basic cockpit, without the photoetched parts. There might be a small issue with the kit, the rear seat seems to be at the wrong position, it should be a little bit more towards the rear frame.

The overall fit is quite good, but this kit requires attention and precision during assembly. There are no guiding pins, and even a small misalignment can cause wide gaps, just as shown on the photo below. This was the first dry fit, and I was shocked by the huge gap at the wing roots. Luckily, it was my mistake, and I managed to fix it with correctly aligning the parts.

Next step is the fiddly photoetch assembly, harnesses, pedals, instrument panels, multiple handles. Not my favorite job in 1:72 scale...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

I have a few Special Hobby kits in my stash, and what you describe here is also what I guessed by looking at the sprues. Anyway - have fun with the project, and all the best wishes for your new arrival! They say that if you want something done, give the job to a busy man 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 years ago:

Tak Erik, exciting times ahead. 🙂
    Small update, today I built the photoetched parts as well. It will be good enough for closed canopy.

I believe that the film with instrument dials would not make any difference in this small scale with closed canopy, so I did not spend time on it.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 years ago:

The new family member arrived a few weeks before than expected, so I have to put the project in hold for a while. Other priorities... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years ago:

Everything will be dry & cured ... in great shape!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Congrats. Enjoy the new addition!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, and congrats! Maybe when the wife is up for the midnight feedings, you can spend those precious moments at your modeling desk in moral support!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Congratulations! Have fun with the new arrival - all the best from here!

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you guys, we are finally back from the hospital, and started figuring out how to organize our new life. I will try to save some time for my hobbies as well, but time is limited. However, I hope it will be finished in this year.

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I managed to spend some time on the project. Luckily we had a long weekend and I had time to assembly the cockpit.
    It looks good enough for closed canopy and 1:72 scale.
    I managed to assembly the fuselage and wings as well. The fit is reasonably good, but I must spend time on filling and sanding later on.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great - plenty of detail in there for 1/72!