DHC6-300 OY-POF, Grønlandsfly, Revell 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 44 · 10 months ago · 1/72, airgreenland, DH100GB, DHC6, greenland, grønlandsfly, lndecals, Revell, twin otter
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Eric @airbum, I noticed that there are several new decal set for airliners that fly out of Denmark, Iceland, and Greenland, including some for the de Havilland.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks gents - @fiveten awesome kite the 'boat! I'll let you know how I get this windshield done.

@gblair, the shopvac may be the solution - I will re-check some online stuff. And some new decals - LN and Arctic has been busy the last few months, and I have all the LN-decals and some of the Arctic as well - just need time. . . .

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Hi George @gblair. There's a strong possibility for the Shin Meiwa decals to have been unsealed for long...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Look out!

Have a look out the window that is

I did some more rough-shaping on the mold for the windscreen

A lot of dust as there had been some serious sanding and polishing taking place

And then I lit a candle, heated a piece of old plastic, and squeezed it over the mold

I rough-cut it to see how far I have to go, and there is still a lot to be done.

The solution with a single-point heat source works reasonably well for a one-off windscreen, but in the long run I will have to learn to vac-form properly. I will have a lot more work on this one before it is ready, but initial test looked OK for me.

And then it will be another few weeks before a post on this one will appear – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

What a process, @airbum!
    I still have no answer from the Hasegawa representative here, regarding my half canopy, so, I think, I might construct a mold to vacform a canopy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I think the windscreen will work out fine. Whenever I venture into scratchbuilding, I figure out how long I think it will take to make the changes, and then triple it. Everything I do usually takes three times longer than I think. It will be worth it in the end. Watching for the next post.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 11 months, 1 week ago:

@gblair, @fiveten, @stephen-w-towle, @gkittinger and those that may have followed in silence, the TWOTTER is now back in action!

And back to WiP

Many moons ago this one was moved to the DH GB – sadly no progress since then.

But now a re-shuffle og projects has brought this one forward, and work has re-commenced, and that involves a lot of sanding! first off, I made a new candle-stretched windscreen

Looks a bit better after the form has been finetuned.

The mains have been sanded a lot, and still a lot needs to be done.

As mentioned earlier I may also have to fill the rims a bit?

Earlier work on the intake and outlets

and the engines has been installed, sanding and paintfiller in progress.

having re-boosted my mojo on the Twin-Otter, more may come of these. I recently got a few aftermarket items, but not being satisfied with these they needs sorting into probables and rejects. Perhaps the next update will follow in a matter of months instead of years – tune in and check!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Glad the mojo eventually kicked back in!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Glad you are back, Eric (@airbum). I think you are right about the wheel rims. One side looks particularly deep.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Great to see this one tackled again, my friend @airbum! Super job paying dividends! Looking forward to this superb build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 1 week ago:

Seems like I have missed all previous progress on this one, Eric @airbum
    Definitely strapped in to follow your re-start.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 10 months ago:

Windscreen

I had a go at the windscreen today – not my finest work…

But I think it still looks a bit better than the original kit-supplied one

I mounted it in generious amounts of Micro Klear, leaving a bit of a mess. Once it is cured it may look nicer?

I really need to get going on the props and fix the undercarriage. Tune in and check if it is another month away!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

Great job on the windscreen, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

Progressing nicely despite the challenges, Erik @airbum