Eduard F4F-3 Wildcat, 1/48. 'The New Cat On The Block'

Started by Harvey R. · 75 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Eduard, F4F, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This is some really stunning result, Harvey @scalerambush

• Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Uh-Oh

After putting the decals on one of the instrument panels I wrote up that previous post and headed off. This morning I noticed something...

They don't line up. The instructions label the decals incorrectly, if you do go the decal route I must say it can come out quite well and I somewhat prefer it in a few ways, but just make sure to switch round and use decals K1, K2, K3 for the build if going for any Wildcat that isn't that silver scheme.

Assembling the Cockpit

With that in mind I don't really want to remove the decals, repaint, reapply the correct ones, so I'll just roll with the PE option which works out decently.

The side detailing in the cockpit was painted up, a bit of black, silver and red was used where appropriate and in details like this the plastic far exceeds the PE replacements. It's a really nice cockpit to play around with.

It's been given a gloss coat as there is just a couple more decals to be added before the pit can get closed up.
    As soon as this is done the fuselage can be put together, it does seem like a very quick build with the majority of the time going into the wheel well and painting up cockpit switches.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the clarification, my friend @scalerambush! Cockpit looks great!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Detail on this plane looks spectacular, Harvey (@scalerambush). Good catch on the instrument panels. I just finished an Accurate Miniatures model, and you really had to pay attention to instructions or you would end up in the wrong place. I think some of the newer instructions that are just diagrams lead us down this path.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot for warning us, Harvey @scalerambush
    The interior looks great.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all! Eduard definitely have a thing with cockpit decals, I think perhaps part of it is due to the initial releases of kits always being a profipack or limited edition boxing with PE and as such the instructions tend to get it wrong with these decals. Their Spitfire Story had the same issue I remember, also regarding some more instruments outside of the instrument panel I believe these were also incorrectly labeled so I just put the ones that seemed to line up with references.

Bringing the Fuselage Together

With the cockpit all painted up and a few decals added, it was time to put the two fuselage halbes together.

Generally no fit issues here and the cockpit tub along with the wheel well fit nicely. A lot of paint to scrape off of the side as there's quite a lot of connection points. With regards to wheels up modifications I'm fairly sure you can eliminate everything in the wheel well except the firewall, that block of metal that the undercarriage will hinge on to, and that silver painted part that will form the rear of the engine.

I also tried to add a pilot, he fits nicely but its a snug fit. So snug that the rudder pedals popped off after I removed him. This is no issue, I simply cut off the pedals and it will fit fine.

When introducing the two fuselage halves together the initial test fitting proved to be without issue.

When actually putting it together we can see a couple of gaps largely focused on the underside. There's so much going on in this tiny little model that it's not a surprise that one or two pieces could push it out of alignment, but it's nothing that can't be fixed by your filler of choice.

I do want to just quickly assemble and test fit the landing gear and see how that works out, it does seem very fragile when I look at it.

Also, Eduard again demonstrates their hatred for all things that spin and the propeller is required to be glued onto the engine. I've already said how much I don't like this, but by introducing a 2mm brass rod and (if I can find one) a spare tamiya poly cap this should be fixed. Its not a perfect method but it'll do.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Harvey @scalerambush
    Very effective approach on applying the filler by first masking the region of interest. For sure I'm going to ttry this as well.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Really starting to look like a Wildcat, Harvey (@scalerambush). I will be interested to see how the landing gear works out.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks for mapping the minefield Harvey. I think I'll start mine after I finish the Vengeance.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Just found this. Really enjoy following the build. Regarding the sprue cutter mishap on the seat; I rarely use sprue cutters on parts that will be visible. I use Tamiya saws. Takes a little longer to release the part. Often there is no attachment point to clean up which is great for clear parts. They also work for re-scribing panel lines though the lines they replace are finer than the originals

• Profile Photo

Interesting, I'll keep it mind. Typically sprue cutters have never been an issue and haven't been for the rest of build, it might just have been the angle of the sprue join.

I'm half tempted to get another cat and make it a Martlet, but it'll be best to wait for the F4F-4 wing which was more common with the FAA.

Taking Shape

With the fuselage together I first gave a little test run of the undercarriage. It has 4 pieces for each leg, but goes together decently.

Naturally it doesn't hold in place so some blue tack was used, one important thing is to either use super-glue or simply make sure the joining points are free of paint which will be easier to do before the fuselage halves are closed up. With that all being said I don't reckon this is a step that can come at any point other than right at the end unless you want to risk snapping them.

With that out of the way I added the wheel doors to closed, there's a couple of gaps but generally it fits well. I didn't take a photo but test fitting of the wheels shows they will stick out too far so they'll get sanded down to be more flush with the fuselage.

Next it was time for the Wildcat fuselage to take shape, and that shape is a guppy. Part of the engine was added along with the cowling, but since I'm still playing around with the propeller and rod I'll simply add this later at the end once the propeller and plane are all painted. This also aids in masking the internals.

The wings generally had no issues with fit though they did need to be held firm in place for a few seconds to ensure that fit. I was tempted to paint them seperate but decided against it. With the horizontal stabilisers these did unfortunately have quite a bit of a gap. I'm sure test fitting and sanding would solve this, but I simply tried my best and put a few thinned layers of Mr. Dissolved Putty in the gaps to fill it in.

I've left of the control surfaces as I'll paint these slightly different due to being fabric covered, the rudder will also be far easier to paint seperately as it will have the bright stripy red and white patriotic tail.

Finally for the Wildcat a few bits were rescribed, a couple of small bits riveted, and the small windows added and masked off. The canopy is currently drying from being dipped in clear and that will then get added along with the gunsight.

Ive also painted up a classic tamiya happy chappy taken from one of many Corsair kits. He certainly isn't a looker but he may be the pilot, I do have the P-47 pilot to paint up too.

All in all this little stubby cat is nearly ready for primer pending the pilot and canopy being finished.

2 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Both are progressing real nice, Harvey @scalerambush
    The landing gear does look very nice but also very fragile.
    Very nice looks on the pilot.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 8 months ago:

You are moving right along with this cat, Harvey @scaleambush. Great job on the "happy chappy". As TC mentioned, it's good you are wading through the mine field ahead of us. Now I know what to look out for when I start mine. Even Eduard makes mistakes regarding those decal instructions.

• Profile Photo

Superb progress, my friend @scalerambush!