F-111F Aardvark Desert Storm USAF 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 69 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Next up is to assemble the main gear wheel bay. Already painted white, there are 4 parts that make up the whole assy.

RH/LH side gear bay sides, roof and center support bulkhead make up the bits for the gear bay assembly.

1st I will assemble the center support and attach it to the roof panel. I also painted one of the conduits black and two others in tan. A little wash to dirty it up a bit.

Next to attach each side panel of the bay to the roof panel, the center support slips into a notch for correct aligment. Then the other panel is attached and aligned with the roof and RH side bay panel and the assembly is complete and put aside. What is really nice about this piece is that Hasegawa provided some nice detail here and made it deep enough to scale. Not bad for 72nd scale. If you happen to have a 48th scale Academy F-111 any variant, you will see the difference and how shallow their bay is compared to the Hasegawa 72nd F-111. Just wonder why Hasegawa didn't do the F-111 in 48th scale. Imagine if they did. I need to look up the Hobby Boss F-111 and check if their kit has a deeper landing gear bay. Regardless the gear bay in this kit looks busy and nicely detailed for the scale. Next up assemble the main fuselage section.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Soon there will be a set of wheels and landing gear struts connected to these parts. You're right, they did pack a lot of details into this location. I have the 1/48 scale Academy Aardvark in the stash. I'll go check it out to see how much of a difference there is now that you mentioned this. Good stuff to know in advance.

Looks good Chuck... the wash is making the details really pop.

It would be cool if Hasegawa did a 1/48 scale F-111. πŸ™‚ My eyes are just not good enough anymore for anything 1/72 or smaller.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Going well Chuck, you really don't need any weight in it, I am building my third one at the moment, they are plenty stable without !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, Hasegawa went all out on their 72nd scale line in the mid 70's state of the art detail. Then they launch their 48 series with the F-4's followed with the A-7's and soon after the F-18. Even though some say they had a deal with Tamiya, stick to 72nd scale and Tamiya will do 48th scale.

Allen, it has been a long time since my last Hase F-111 build, about 15 years ago. I just don't remember if it needed weight to keep it on the nose. Just to be safe I just dropped a lead fishing weight.

• Profile Photo

Next step is to install the gear bay assy into the lower main fuselage half, the intake trunking, engine faces and the finally assembling the rear section.

First some of the components that will be used for this process. The upper and lower fuselage halves.

LH and RH intake trunks and the engine faces are in white. Then Vallejo Aluminum for the engine turbines.

1st is to install the completed wheel bay. Next the engine face panel is installed using the notches to locate and align properly within the lower half.

Once alignment is set, then each of the intake trunk panels are installed and aligned. Hase makes this simple and easy to follow. Take your time each part aligns as it should, not much fiddling as long as you follow the directions.

Drill out the holes for an electronic pod that will be mounted here for this version.

Finally to seal the fuselage with the upper half. Attaching this is simple, not really difficult to align. Hase again engineered this to attach the upper panel on a natural seam line and will be easy to clean up. Though unusual to not have any locating pins while attaching the part. So again emphasizing to be careful while keeping alignment. The fit is excellent, none of the interior components were a factor checking for alignment before cementing it down.

Next up is attaching the forward nose section. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, Chuck. You seem to be having fun on this one, it shows in the posts and it’s really enjoyable to follow. Funny how you can tell how a build is going without the author necessarily telling.

• Profile Photo

You know Dave, we tout Tamiya with their engineering and ease of assy even with some complicated air frames or armor. Hasegawa does for the most part do go together well on a lot of their kits as well. This one is one that is not labor intensive like their F-14 is. Having a good time so far on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I like building both companies kits. Hasegawa and Tamiya are both of my favorite brands. However, recently ICM and even Airfix have upped their game. I don't have access very easily to any Eduard kits, but they seem to have come a long way with their new tool FW-190's and Bf-109's, judging by what is floating around on the internet.

I like what I'm seeing here Chuck... and just like David said, looks like you're having fun.

and that's what it's all about my friend.

• Profile Photo

Your correct Louis, seeing some of your work and others on the ICM and Airfix modern tooled kits look really fun to build. Though the details are excellent, they may be still a challenge, not difficult but not let say as engineered like Tamiya are. Still not too easy, still have to put them together and if you get complacent you can find yourself in a pickle and unnecessary extra work by not paying attention to detail.

• Profile Photo

Next step is to attached the forward mostly complete nose section to the main body of the airframe.

1st some lead weight is dropped into the nose. It has been at least 15 years since building the "Echo" variant, don't remember if weight was needed. Though Alan is building the Aussie "C: version stated none is needed. I had already dropped it in before I got the note.

Next to slide the nose section into the slots located on each side of main body. What is nice with this process is that Hase has made this simple, that most of the separation line of the two parts is hidden by the natural attachment points under the wing glove. No seam to worry about on either side. Only seam is the top where there is very little if any step. Very good fit here as this also the line that is where the cockpit escape capsule would separate in an emergency.

At the bottom, the only attachement point is right where the forward section will butt up against the forward wall of the landing gear bay. Which is a perfect attachment point where the forward gear/dive brake door will also be attached.

And that completes this portion of the build. Next is the air intake assy.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice to see one of these going together; i built two of them back in the early 1990s and i found it to be a straightforward, un-fussy build (although i know i busted at least one control stick, getting it off the sprue).

The kit still holds up very well. "Navy Bird" Bill Gillman did a Grumman F-111B over on another site and it looked great.

A plane that did not get a lot of love until pretty late in its career. Great ground attack concept, lousy standoff interceptor.

-d-

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks David, funny you mentioned the control sticks, I managed to break one of them also. The second one, was able to remove the first one without breaking it. I built the "E" around the same time you built yours in the early 90's.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great looking F-111, Chuck!

One early morning during Desert Storm - about Oh-Dark-Thirty we called it (anytime from midnite to dawn) which that night was about 02:30 I was watching over my little platoon of M1A1 Heavies, when an F-111 (on a Wild Weasel mission, I'm pretty sure) overflew us at an altitude of less than 500 feet - it seemed like about 10 feet! It was thunderous and VERY impressive! That actually happened again twice more, with 3 different types of aircraft: the F-111, and an F4 Phantom and another type I can't recall precisely, but may have been an F-105. All 3 were VERY early in the morning, and flying VERY low and quite fast. As we were parked less than 500 yards (metres) from the Iraqi/Saudi border, I suspect the pilots were using our tanks as an "aiming point" of sorts to get to where they needed to be. The F4 flew so low that my Gunner, who was asleep on the back deck of our tank, was so startled by the noise and realizing that an aircraft APPEARED to be landing on top of us - or him - that he rolled off the back deck of the tank onto the ground about 7 feet (2 metres) below in fright! He swore that the plane "blasted" him off the back deck, but it didn't - he was simply very startled and awakened quickly. I was awake and saw it all and thought (think) it was hilarious. He didn't exactly appreciate the humour that evening ... but I did ...

Not every memory from war is bad. It (and other humourous instances) kinda balances the awful things done and seen.

• Profile Photo

Hi Jeff, that would be "NAP of the earth flying which has the F-111 on auto pilot with the ground terrain following feature activated. A feature used well on the Aardvark. The F-4G's also used it as well. Flying in low as they head towards their targets. Only when the "Wild Weasels and Iron Hand had taken out the SAM sites along the way then they would pop up to acquire the targets and deliver the ordnance on target. There were no F-105's used during DS they have long since retired from service. You most likely saw either an F-1 Mirages or Jaguars that had a similar profile in shape, but not in size, the Thud was huge.

And yes Jeff despite the fogs of war, you have to find a way to get some relief in finding ways to be human such as humor and moments that will bring a chuckle here and there yet stay focused during dangerous times. War is a messy business.

• Profile Photo

Long delay in updating this Wip. This step I will assemble and attach the intakes to the airframe. Hasegawa has a few parts involved on a complicated part of the F-111 but not difficult to assemble.

Already pre-painted white, are the LH/RH ramps, trimmed and each one installed onto their section in front of the intake opening. Again the fit is excellent. No gaps.

Next are the intake forward trunk sections, the inner half that will be visible when the intake outer covers are installed. Again pre-painted in glossy white. These will fit over the intake ramps.

Next the intake shock cones are installed, with only the rear half in glossy white, masked and attached to each intake trunk. The forward section of the cones will be the airframe color.

Before installing the outer intake panels, I painted the section of the ramps Tamiya Black. Which will be hard to reach with the airbrush when completed. But will touch it up again when it's time to paint the overall lower section.

Finally attaching each outer intake panel again excellent fit just minor clean up with a swipe of sandpaper. Otherwise this part of the build is done. Next up is adding some detail bits under the airframe. More to follow.