F-111F Aardvark Desert Storm USAF 1991

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 69 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This is an excellent update Chuck... Thanks for posting.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Louis will be try to update more frequent now that I have resolved the upload issue I was experiencing earlier this month.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great work, mate! Have one of these in stash which I'll convert to B version. Looking forward to more progress pics!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This is building up into quite a beast, Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Just went through the whole work in progress, a great work for sure! I've Revell's ancient F-111A/B kit, I know it has some issues, but I may have to blow the dust of it and do the B, before it's to brittle to build.

• Profile Photo

Sebastijan, thank you, a very good kit despite it's age. I remember when these kits were first produced by Hasegawa in the late 70's and early 80's. Despite the parts and for this scale quite a bit. But really not difficult to build. Despite being a complicated aircraft. Hasegawa really engineered this kit just right.
    D-L, love the sinister look of the F-111F especially when she is loaded for bear.
    Robert the very first F-111 was that Revell kit of the proposed Navy version.

• Profile Photo

A quick update. This step entails attaching some of the details under the main fuselage of the F-111.

First the tail bumper is removed from the sprue and attached toward the rear lower section between the engines.

Next up the lower LH/RH strakes trimmed and attached at a slight angle, inserted into the slots provided on each lower outer side of the main fuselage.

Checking proper alignment of the strakes looking front to back.

Finally assemble the rear tail cone but will leave it off for now.

So far this kit is coming along quite well. Parts fitting well. Won't take much seam work to prep it for painting. Just a well engineered kit. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Next up is to add some detail bits on the upper fuselage before i get back into completing the wings.

2 filler panels are attached to each side of the rear fuselage section. Just above and a bit forward of the horizontal stabs.

Simple yet effective engineering by Hasegawa. Allows for easier assembly of the fuselage sections. The parts fit perfect. Minor clean up.

Next the vertical tail and rudder already pre shaded after having black left over after a session on another model. Good fit, alignment is good after the tail is inserted in the slot on the top of the fuselage.

While building up some tires on another model. I decided to use the leftover tire black to the tires on the F-111. First using the Cutting Edge masking set to cover the rims.

Applying the masks over the main and nose wheel rims before airbrushing Tamiya Tire Black.

Then airbrushing Tire Black over the tires.

Once the paint is dry then the masks are removed. And that takes care of the wheel assy's for now.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

It's all these little details that will set one particular model above the rest. Looks like you're spending time on these little details.

It looks good now, but it will look great once completed Chuck. I especially like how you have painted the wheels.

The fuselage seams look great too.

Well done my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, Hasegawa really did well with this series of F-111's. Still the best in any scale. The details on the wheels are well done from the kit. The seam work will be rather quick on this one as well.

• Profile Photo

As stated on previous swing wing type aircraft I start with the wings first. Which I have done except to get them painted. This step the wings have already been pre shaded. I have also taped on the slats to make painting them easier to blend into the camo finish.

Then first I will paint the areas that will be SEA Tan FS30219 , using Gunze Aqueous acrylics. This I apply on both wing panels, flaps and the slats.

Next up is SEA Med Green, FS34102, again applied in the areas that are this color.

Finally SEA Euro Green FS34079. I love this paint, no clogging when mixed properly out of the Paasche H airbrush. Free handed the camo, soft edges. No stress or frustration factor when airbrushing. Also leaves a semi glossy finish.

I let these items sit overnight. Gunze at times can peel when masking off hard edges. To minimize this, I let the paint dry and harden overnight.

Next up is to mask off the areas that will be Insignia Red around the flying surfaces under the wings, flaps and slats.

Once the red is applied in these areas. I carefully remove the tape to check out the finish.

Next is to attach the slats to the leading edge of the wings. Nice fit no warps to deal with on this fragile narrow piece.

Now the flaps and the outer bomb pylons are attached.

And the wings are completed and put aside until it's time to attach them once the airframe is completed.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

VERY nice, Chuck.

I like the way you (& others) paint many parts while on the spue. I may give that a try. I'm not an airbrush-er, but I intend to learn.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, I believe it is something I have always been doing since I was a kid even then brush painting the parts on the sprue. Easier to handle without getting paint on my fingers.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This has to be one of the most detailed postings from this build journal ! I mean look at all of the photos and descriptions that go with it... Wow ! This takes some time to do. Time that you could have spent doing something else.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts. Thanks Chuck. Looks good !

• Profile Photo

Just following your lead Louis, thanks. Just have to say that Hasegawa really provided a nice kit to build. These are still very good kits from the mid 80's. And in 72nd scale.