F-82 Twin Mustang Mojo Build

Started by Carl Smoot · 88 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

While working on my USS San Francisco Project and my Foiled covered P-47 Thunderbolt project (both of which I consider longer term builds), I am working on this side project for two reasons. One is because it was a gift from my son and I would like to build it so he feels like he gave me something and secondly, as a means to keep my mojo going when the other two projects feel like they are bogging down.

This is the old Hobbycraft 1/72 scale F-82 Twin Mustang. This kit was originally molded by Idea in 1985 and has raised panel lines and mediocre internal detail, but it will be fairly easy to build as it has few parts. I plan to mount it in flight so I won't have to deal with the landing gear other than getting the doors to fit. This also allows me to display the model with pilot figures and the canopy closed, so I can keep the internal detail improvements minimized.

It does have a cockpit floor with seat, a control stick, an instrument panel (no detail on this however), and pilot figures.I am going to add a bit of sidewall detail to busy it up, but not too much. I haven't decided which of the two schemes I have decals for that I am going to use yet, but I think it may be the night fighter version in black mainly because the decals are more colorful. Decals are from Starfighter decals and are a definite improvement over the kit decals.

I am going to keep this relatively simple. I won't be rescribing the raised panel lines, rather I will simply rescribe the cross seam panel lines and try my best to not damage the other raised detail. Decals only, no painted on markings.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Alright! I have this kit, so I'm going to ride along with you to figure out how to get the best of my build! I may need to pick up some aftermarket decals also...

• Profile Photo

Glad you can follow along Greg (@gkittinger), although I do want to be clear in that this is one of several projects I have going, so entries here may not be consistent.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

A wonderful gift from your son, Carl @clipper
    I can imagine you want to go ahead with this kit just because of that.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Glad you can follow along John (@johnb).

I'm treating it in a similar manner to what I might work an old Airfix or Frog kit, namely as a raw canvas to do some improvements on. Not as extensive as I did on the Hudson, but a few things in the cockpit and sharpen up some of the external details.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, my friend @clipper! Yes, the Hobbycraft kit is a mixed bag, but with your skills an excellent result will emerge! Great idea to use the pilots and, indeed, the Starfighter decals are miles ahead the kit ones.
    Excellent progress so far. Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for following along Spiros (@fiveten). Like most older kits, with some elbow grease and care, a decent result can be had. Oftentimes, this is the only option for lesser known kits or in scales that may not be as popular. Yes, the ModelSvit kit in 1/48 would be impressive, but I have this one and don't have to spend extra money on it. I'm struggling to keep my stash from growing much bigger so I have to keep preventing myself from making purchases unless I just can't live without something. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks like you have all your ducks in order and are ready to begin so I will be following along too, Carl @clipper. I know what you mean about keeping one’s stash from growing. Self control is easier said than done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for following along Eric (@eb801). It's always good to have input during a build because there's always the chance that someone will say that one little tidbit of information that strikes a cord and gives you that "A Ha" moment. And having other people following makes for a club like atmosphere which is something that I like about Imodeler.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

An F-82 mojo-restorer, Carl (@clipper)? I totally understand why you might need a boost. I also have this kit in the stash, so I am looking forward to you paving the way for me.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for following along, George (@gblair). My mojo isn't really having any problems. It's more that I find myself wanting occasionally to go back to things I am familiar with. The Twin Mustang kit, in many ways, is along the same lines as my Hudson build, a kit that needs a bit of extra love, and that extra love is in my comfort zone.

I will be continuing with the USS San Francisco and the foil covered Thunderbolt as well. I have so many things going on in my life right now, including some things that I've invented for myself, that each day is like, "What do I want to do today?". These three modeling projects are part of that collection of things I have to choose from, and depending upon my mood, I can elect to work them or skip them for something non modeling related. SO it goes.

• Profile Photo

I have similar days, Carl (@clipper), when I climb the stairs to my hobby room and decide what I want to work on. I have models, a radio control ship, HO and N Scale trains, and I dabble in watercolor painting. I think I have too many hobbies. Now, if I could just get good in one of them. :o)

• Profile Photo

The cockpit detailing and painting is completed. I didn't concern myself with accuracy here, only busyness. Except for the instrument panels, both cockpits are identical. I am not sure if it is that way on the real aircraft, but with the pilots and radar operator in there and the canopy closed, it will look okay.

Painting and installing the pilots is next. I'll also be adding seat belts and harnesses at that time.

• Profile Photo

Additions really will make the cockpit look good, Carl (@clipper), although you probably won't see much in a black cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Cockpits are excellent, my friend @clipper!