F-84F. 6a Aerobrigata, 154° Gruppo. Italian Air Force. 1956. Italeri (rebox Kinetik) 1/48 .

Started by Roberto Colaianni · 14 · 4 years ago · 154 Gr, Diavoli Rossi, F-84F
  • Profile Photo
    Roberto Colaianni said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I’m building this kit for my cousin, to honor and to remember his father and my uncle Renato, whom serve as a technician in the Italian Air Force from the early 50es to the middle 80es. In his early years of service, he was station in Ghedi A.F. base, working on F-84G, F-84F, F-104G. Ghedi was one of the major Italian base, some of the units there operating, were trained to use and equipped with nuclear weapons, under the control of Americans, since Italy is not allowed to own nukes. He spend the second part of his career in Rivolto, home of the 313 Acrobatic Training Squadron, Better known as “ Frecce Tricolori”, Before equipped with FIAT G-91 light tactical fighter an then with Aermacchi MB 339 jet trainer. In one of the picture, date late 70, you can see myself (the taller boy), with my cousins and my uncle, in Rivolto, in front of a G-91T twin seater and the flight line of G-91 PAN, dressing the color of “Frecce Tricolori” . The kit is an Italeri F-84F, a rebox of the KinetiK, with a large decal sheet. I will use Italeri’s decal, since my uncle was part of the 154 Group, “Diavoli Rossi” (Red Devils), one of the option offer by the sheet. It’s a very good kit for beginners, simple, good fit. Reasonably detailed cockpit. I will add only some Airscale decals on the front panel. Cockpit has been painted with Valleio acrylics. After some very complicated works, it seems to me a miracle, to have fuselage halves and wing glued in less than 5 hours.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Apologize for repeating the post about my F-84F, I realize the group build WIP AIRCRAFT, is the proper place where to post the article.

• Profile Photo

Today I made a few progress. Instrument pannel has been painted, and instrument have been addded (Airscale decals). Since I will use the old Testor Model Master for the natural maetal finish, and these color need to be applyied direcly on the nude model, i will paint first all the other detail, last the natural metal overall.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Comin' along rather nicely - welcome to the group! I'm tuned in on this one now 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Great looking model, Roberto. The cockpit looks awesome. Thanks for the picture in front of the G.91s, I always appreciate family history in a build.

• Profile Photo

Since my stock of Model Master Metalizeris running low, and no alluminum available, I change the plan about painting. A light sanding of the main surfacese, with sand paper 1000, in order to rduce the rugositity of the plastic, two layers of MRP primer, two layers of Humbrol metal cote 27002, shade of stainless steel and magnesium Model Master to highlight the pannel and and finally, Tamiya gloss, in preparation for the dacals. Italeri decal sheet do not report any information about the producer, but they are excellent, robust, with a minimal transparent edge, and perfectly adering on the gloss surface. Next day a final layer of Tamiya gloss, seal them in preparation of the washing. Since this model will end on the desk of my cousin, not really an aviation expert, i prefer to keep the subject clean, with a high color contrast, therefore I avoid oil or other enamel product, and with a thin brush, I applyied some Valleio dark gray, directly into the pannel line. Few detail are missing: the pitot end, and the smal front landing gear door, broken during the building process, and the canopy. Hope you like it.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Natural metal looks awesome, Roberto. Did you use the Humbrol in the rattle can or did you use the paint in the tinlet? I have a rattle can of the aluminum but I haven't tried it yet.

• Profile Photo

George, since I' m not familiar with the terms "rattle can" and "tinlet", better you see the pics below. As far as I know, Humbrol prduced 3 of these metallizer, code 27001, 2 and 3. For the F-84 I used the 27002.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Roberto. I call these tinlets. Not sure what they are really called. A rattle can is paint in a self-contained spray can. I believe Humbrol has started to release colors in spray cans. Thanks for the info.

• Profile Photo
    Roberto Colaianni said 4 years ago:

Few month ago, canopt replacement, wooden base and plexiglas display case arived, and then I complete the project and deliver the model to my cousin, he was very happy about the final result.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Well done! The natural metal finish is very convincing.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years ago:

Turned out beautifully!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Wow, this turned out great! I'm sure your cousin was quite pleased.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years ago:

That really is pretty...I wish I could paint silver. I love how you are able to differentiate the panels and even within the panels offer variety of shade. You did and excellent job and a nice presentation.