Farewell comfort zone…Revell 1/32 P 38 'Droop Snoot'

Started by david leigh-smith · 44 · 6 years ago · 1/32, old kits., WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years ago:

Looks good ! It's getting closer...

Wow Jeff ! 14 in the turret of an M-60 ? That's CRAZY tight. It's bad enough with the usual 3 in the turret... especially when you have the ready rack full with main gun ammo...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 7 years ago:

Yeah, getting there little by little. Would love (as everyone here would) to have more time in the seat building and painting. One day...

Very best, Louis.

• Profile Photo

Well, the Lightning certainly isn't living up to its name at the moment. Today, made masks for the 'stars and bars' and put down a first spray of insignia blue. Put on the upper and lower mass balances (you know it's slow going when you see fit to mention that!), resprayed the invasion stripes (in all honesty I completely cocked them up during a rushed weathering session), and did some general blending with alclad white aluminium.

For a week I really thought I'd lost this one. Two or three things just didn't go well and it's amazing how disheartened you can get over a few bits of plastic. I blame the fumes. And Tom, if you are still looking you can just see your book in the background!

Anyway, the painting below is generally what I'm after. Going to have to be creative with decals and markings as such a bird didn't actually exist. I'll get some proper photos taken when she's finished...

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 7 years ago:

James Hunt and a Ford Capri? Random, but the old president of our local sports car club used to run a Capri just like this one! (Green and everything. I still want one just like it!)

• Profile Photo

Hi Josh.

I was really just trying to set some context for just how long ago this kit came out. People queuing around the block to watch Jaws, and Star Wars was just a twinkle in Lucas's over imaginative eye.
    The Capri is a classic; what I've give to have the time and talent to track one down and stick a V8 in her. We can all dream.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Almost there -

Took some liberties with the colour scheme, but I feel that given the raw material I'm happy it looks like a Lightning. Hopefully next week I can post some finished photos.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 12 months ago:

Well now I would say it was worth the effort. Looks good from here, nice job on an old kit David.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom.

It has been a real struggle with this kit, there's hardly a straight line on it and I used a year's worth of milliput to boot. Anyway she is almost done, and really got me out of a bit of a modeling slump - I think sometimes you need either a really easy kit or something that fights you all the way to get back into the groove.

Love your quarter scale Lightning, she's a real beauty.

David

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 6 years, 12 months ago:

David, you are nearly there! Great perseverance with the droop snoot! You'll deserve some more of Scotland Finest when it's done.
    Cheers

• Profile Photo

Hi David.
    Yes, it's been a trial of patience and delayed gratification all round. But I've definitely come out the other end a better modeller.

And you are right about the wee dram as a reward come the weekend!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 11 months ago:

David, as my brother-in-law says when we visit him & my little Sis-in-law at their flat in Glasgow, "Have a wee swalley!"
    Have more than one - you deserve them!
    Your Droop Snoot turned out VERY well. I wish I had room for the big scale models. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out where to put the quarter scale planes & 1/35 armor models I have yet to build!
    Yes - we were in like sardines in that M60A1 turret. And several of us STILL got wet (on the head & neck, primarily) since the seals around the hatches are never as good as hoped!

I really have enjoyed watching this build and greatly admire your finished model. Your work is excellent, as is your sense of humour & your narrative.
    Here's a suggestion for future builds. I've used lead shotgun shot to make tail-sitters sit on their gear as the engineers designed. I use #8 shot which is quite small. You can really get a lot of weight into smallish spaces with it. It's not much larger than large grains of sand, so you can get it into oddly shaped spaces. The problem I see is that you might have to buy a 25 pound bag of it like around here, but I don't know how they sell the stuff in the UK. I load 12 ga. Black Powder shotgun shells, so I have some need for the shot, but perhaps 3 or 4 of you & your modeler friends could split a bag. I used the shot many times with clay to hold it all in. White glue will also work to hold it in place, but glue can take a while to cure fully. Of course, model glue & CA might work but it could also disfigure the plastic if it seeps in the wrong places. I used modeling clay & I think it would work best.

Anyway, great job, David. I look forward to more posts you may do! Thanks for sharing.
    Regards, Jeff

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for the post. I'll drink a toast to you when the final touches are done and I can sign her off at the weekend.

Thanks for the tip about the #8 shot and tail-sitters; I have a Heinkel He 219 (Uhu) in 1/32 that'll need some creative thinking around front ballast!

And hey, if you don't have a sense of humour as a modeler then I don't know how it's possible to stay sane. Really. No, really really.

Thanks again, Jeff!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Your Lightning looks great David. It won't be long and soon it will be finished. Fantastic job my friend.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Hi again, Louis.

Thank you, appreciate your comments; a real motivation.
    Hope you are happy and healthy,

David