Four more P-40s

Started by Michael Turner · 74 · 3 months ago · 1/48, AMT, Armee de l'Air, Eduard, Hobbycraft, P-40F, P-40L, P-40N, RAAF, RNZAF, USAAF
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year ago:

I am nearing the end of my first three P-40s (https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/three-p-40s) so I've decided to start another four.

P-40F-5 of the Armee de l'Air in Tunisia.

P-40L of the USAAF in the Solomon Islands.

P-40N-5 of the RNZAF in the Solomon Islands.

P-40N-20 of the RAAF in Morotai.

The two Hobycraft and the AMT kits are all AMT moulds while the Eduard kit is the Mauve mould.
    The Eduard kit includes resin and photo etch and I have bought some resin for the AMT P-40N.
    I have started on the F and L by modifying the alternative seats for the Airfix P-40 Tomahawk and a second one that I have in the stash because AMT hits provide P-40N seats.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Another superb, now quadruple entry, my friend @michaelt! Looking forward to all four of them!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year ago:

Ah, Spiros (@fiveten), good to hear from you.

Hopefully these will be simpler builds than the Hasegawa kits.

I have another Airfix P-40C and I have two Italeri P-40E/Ks (AMT moulds again) on their way from Italy.

I'm not sure if I will get all of them made by June this year - it would be an all-time record for me, as my best ever effort was 7 builds completed in a year (not started and completed in the one year, though).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

This time a 'fantastic four', Michael @michaelt
    You will have a great collection of Warhawks in the end. Will look amazing on your shelf.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

And, I've finally made a start!

First thing is adding the cowlings to the AMT/Hobbycraft kits.

It is well known that these pieces are a little short and, after some dry fitting, I decided to glue them so as to get the nose right at the front which leaves a gap to be filled at the rear.

I will also have to install the exhausts for these from the inside, where the Eduard (Mauve) kit has individual exhaust stubs that can be added at the end.

I've also changed my mind on the scheme for the L.

The one I had in mind turned out to be an F, so now it will be a 3 Sqn RAAF aircraft based in Italy, 1944.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great start, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Promissing start, Michael @michaelt
    Already interesting to see the different approaches for those kits.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The gaps have been back filled with "sprue goo" (plastic sprue dissolved in liquid glue) and will only require a little putty on the outside surface.
    This is the AMT P-40N.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great use of sprue goo, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice solution, Michael @michaelt
    A much easier way to get rid of those gaps.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

The Hobbycraft (AMT) lower wings come with pre-opened holes for wing mounted bomb sway braces, but these are not appropriate for the P-40F and P-40L as they were developed for the P-40N. So, a bit more sprue-goo and then filler here.

The F and L were powered by Packard Merlin engines and had a different radiator, with the cowling being a bit squarer . Also, the Merlin had a lower carburettor intake as opposed the the Alison engine which had an upper intake. This meant that the F and L didn't have the intake on top of the nose, but had the intake below the radiator and between the twin oil coolers. What is missing is the intake extension, which I suspect was a sand filter because it had a central, circular, rotating cover that can be seen closed in some photos. I added the extension from a hollow lollypop stick and will add the cover plate later.

Also, the lower intake extends past the radiator so that there are radiator exits either side, with two flaps each. The kit provides a strange piece for this area that has flaps etched in it but then fairs into the lower fuselage. Looking at photos, I cut part of this piece to represent this area as best I can.

I will need to add structure to fill the resulting void.

Finally, all four fuselages have their exhausts added (except the Eduard/Mauve kit that has externally mounted exhausts), radiators completed, gaps filled and are awaiting their cockpits before assembling and adding the wings.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great progress and really refined modifications, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Quite the factory here! Interesting work going on and I like the corrections to the F and L models.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice progress, Michael @michaelt
    Becoming a nice set of Hawks.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 11 months, 3 weeks ago:

Michael I trust you make corrections to the lower air scoop of the AMT P-40F/L. The radiator, oil cooler and carburetor intake were combined into one intake. The AMT kits got this wrong.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.