Franz Stigler and Charlie Brown; a story for the generations. For Bernie.

Started by david leigh-smith · 385 · 5 years ago · 1/48, diorama, Luftwaffe, USAF, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David, you just like to destroy and burn things don't you. Ripping the B-17 apart, and now desiring to burn the ironclad. 🙁
    Looking forward to viewing your show and tell article.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Louis. Far from taking it the wrong way, this is what I live for in terms of iModeler; some learning, couple of great photos, and a little bit of crazy thrown in. I will get onto the prop ASAP - and jeeze, with your knowledge of aircraft, if THAT is all you can find to comment on then I’ll take it I’m doing something right.

Thanks, Louis!

• Profile Photo

It’s the homo sapien way, Peter. We have an instinct to build that is inexorably overtaken by the need to burn and destroy.

• Profile Photo

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter Sellers, what an actor!
    David, that Fortress is looking awesome, great work modulating and weathering that OD!
    I’ve sent you a pm regarding a replacement for that spinner

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi David! @dirtylittlefokker

Only recently got aware of this topic. Have read most of the posts last night, as a matter fact, which took me most of the evening, so I'm up to date I guess 🙂

What an amazing "monster" project you are in! Bravo!

The Messerschmitt (any one of them, but a particular attraction for the 109E) being my favorite WWII fighter, and the B-17, together with the B-25, two of my favorite WWII bombers, your project is indeed one I'll be following with interest from now on.

Keep up the great work! And please keep us updated!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Hi Dolf @dolfdylan - Glad to have you on board. The Emil has always been a favourite of mine - I think from a love affair I had as a kid with the Airfix 1/24 version. Nearly at the end with this one and I wish I had more time to post consistently (Hell, I also wish I had more hair, less work, and be able to sleep through a whole night) but it is what it is.

Thanks for the comments!

• Profile Photo

Pedro @holzhamer - I so appreciate the offer! I'd love to have your spinner and sent you my address. You are a Knight of the skies, sir. Thank you!

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David! @dirtylittlefokker

"Nearly at the end with this one and I wish I had more time to post consistently (Hell, I also wish I had more hair,less work, and be able to sleep through a whole night) but it is what it is."

Ha!Ha!Ha!...

Yeah, guess at some point we all wish something we don't have... but as you rightly say ""it is what it is", so we end up doing the best we can with what we have I guess.

I really don't know where my "love" for the Bf 109E comes from (I only started building models around my mid-twenties I believe). But I've also been pretty much interested in WWII History (my main focus of interest is the Eastern Front, and a very special interest in the Battle of Stalingrad, but as a "boardgamer" I've played lots of different games on all WWII theatres, so I'm also familiar with other fronts), and obviously being an aircraft "lover" I've read/watched as much as I could on that time period, and I believe the Bf 109 was like a "love at first sight".
    I like other military aircraft from the same time period (and of course I know some others were better warcraft, faster, performing better, etc), like the Hurricane and the Spitfire, or the P51, but none as much as the Me 109... 🙂

I do have a few different Messerschmitt for building, all different variations of the 109, but all these are on 1/72 scale.
    The only 1/32 scale I have (mentioned somewhere else on this Forum) I want to make a particular aircraft (started it a few decades ago, but it's been aside for all this time), that Werner Schroer red 8 that he flew when in Northern Africa with the JG/27, and it's not been easy to find and acquire all those little special details I need to move on with this kit.
    As I believe everything happens when the time is right, sooner or later I'll resume that project 😉
    I'm sure you'll also find that time and everything else you may need to move forward with this outstanding project!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

After reading today's installments, I realized something... I remember watching that episode when Gomez smashed the train set... I think he did that on occasional episodes, and each time it was something to watch !

Maybe the Gremlins took your Gustav spinner to fit on my missing F4F Wildcat Propeller...

Seems like the hair thing could be a side effect of plastic glue fumes... My hair has become a lot more lighter than it used to be... but I still have a lot of it. Mostly on my back now... 🙂 🙂

I don't have a receding hair line, it's just an extremely long forehead.

OK I'm no comedian...

The 109 is one of my "top ten", but I personally prefer the 190 to it... and Dolf is correct, this is an outstanding project, but it's the journey that makes it so special.

I'm happy that you were not upset with the suggestion on the feathered prop. I sincerely meant no harm by it.

This is a fantastic build my friend, and yes, you've got it right ! 🙂

Looking forward to seeing the next updates...

• Profile Photo

Not upset at all, Louis, as you say - it’s all about the journey. I think my first crush was Morticia Addams. This may explain a lot.

As Gomez said, “with you, darling, every day is Halloween”

Anyway, this evening I learned that Squadron Vacu form canopies are hard work when it comes to old monogram kits...

I’m having to make a hybrid of the vacu form material and the kit canopy frame. This has meant thinning down the kit canopy frame with the Dremmel to a ridiculous extent, and some of it has broken off as a result; meaning I’ll have to scratch build some new frame. It’ll be ok.

So much for finishing this weekend; but, as you say... it’s about the journey, Louis.

Oh, and one properly ‘feathered’ propellor- thanks for the lesson, my friend...

• Profile Photo

Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Speaking of school boy crushes, Diana Rigg broke my heart when she left The Avengers.

• Profile Photo

Oh, boy.

And at 80 years old she was still going strong on Game of Thrones. Well, until they killed her off.

• Profile Photo

So, following in the rich supply of modelers outing themselves as September’s children thanks to @robbo - my birthday on Saturday. My (self supplied) gifts so far are;

Eduard Royal class FW 190 kits - including a beautiful Luftwaffe bier glass.

Tamnavulin single malt whisky

A Spitfire whisky glass

And a lovely book to read.

And lastly, this Hornet with 36 PARTS! Now, surely even I can build this quickly...

Doesn’t get any better...

Unless all you guys want to come over on Saturday...