Frog 1/72 Me-262 finished as an Avia S-92 Turbina

Started by Bob Torres · 35 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Frog, Me-262, S-92, Turbina
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Since my return back to this hobby, I've been wanting to build a big collection of Frog kits. Since April last year I have built five and restored one. The Me-262 caught my eyes the other day and decided to make one and complete it in Czech markings as an Avia S-92 Turbina.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This will be a great 262, Bob @v1pro
    Will follow this thread closely.
    Having no experience with Frog, I would like to know what your thoughts are.

• Profile Photo

Some shots before I begin the build.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

John from building a few, they will vary from which decade they came from. For me I really like building these kits. Anyone who likes only the more modern kits will probably hate them. This kit was released in 1972, I find the kits from the 70's are a bit thicker and have some bigger gaps to fill compared to the older thinner less gaps kits. The older are a little less accurate in their outlines while the latter are more accurate.

• Profile Photo

Here I start with the cockpit, it comes with a floor, a seat and control stick. I removed the glare shield and head armor that were molded to the fuselage's halves.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

While scratch building the cockpit I did a bit more work to complete it.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Added weights to make sure it does not become a tail dragger, dry fitted the cockpit assembly into the fuselage and in the last shot all glued together.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I had some big gaps, filled them with Tamiya putty, the wing roots to fuselage was filled in with a piece of stretched sprue. Later I smoothed out this area and the engines to the bottom of the wings by using Vallejo Plastic Putty. After applying it I used my finger to swipe off any extra and to make sure it was even to the whole area applied.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I decided to start boxing in the nose gear wheel well, while sanding my second round of putty to smooth seams and gapped areas. Also adding some smaller details behind the pilots seat and behind the instrument panel.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

You really bring out the best in these classic kits, Bob… you make it seem easy, but I’ve tried and it and it’s not. takes the touch of a styrene whisper.

• Profile Photo

Jay, so far this kit is not too bad. I am using more putty than usual but since it is a small kit still not too bad. The overall shape looks pretty accurate in my eyes, I’ve seen this kit made in the past and they do look nice. So I am hoping it comes close to what I have in my mind when done. This will have a silver finish. These planes were painted silver so no metal finishes are needed on this build. The photo attached is the one I plan on making with the PL-01 markings and arrow.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Amazing entry, my friend @v1pro!
    And what a great progress already! Love your improvements.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

You performed already a lot of work, Bob @v1pro
    Amazing work on the scratch build cockpit.
    She surely starts to look smooth after your filling and grinding sessions.
    Looking forward to see it being build as the PL-01

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Cockpit looks great, Bob (@v1pro), as well as the completed wings and fuselage. Looking forward to seeing this one complete. My grandparents on my mother's side were from Czechoslovakia, and left just before Hitler got there. Lucky for me! I have some old Frog, Airfix, and Matchbox in my stash. I really like building old Monogram and Revell kits, but I will get to the others someday.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Bob @v1pro, These aircraft were originally German built, or did Czechoslovakia construct them after the war as they did with their version of the 109?