Frog 1/72 Me-262 finished as an Avia S-92 Turbina

Started by Bob Torres · 35 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Frog, Me-262, S-92, Turbina
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Jay, Avia built them after the war but only a few. They also made the two seater version too. They put in very few hours in flight, stayed on the ground mainly used for ground training. The S-199 and CS-199 were flown more. Both 92 and 199 were replaced with MiG-15’s.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Jon and George, so far this is coming along nicely, today I will start painting the outside coats.

• Profile Photo

These shots shows the completion of making the nose wheel well.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here I added the armor plate for the pilot's head, and filled in the open gap with putty in front or should I say behind the instrument panel.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Glued on the canopy, then masked it with Microscale's Micro Mask. Later I primed the model and its gear doors, then airbrushed Tamiya's flat aluminum. At the end of the day I gave it a few light coats of future for the gloss. Tomorrow I will start the decal process and high lights.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Really nice progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Looks great so far, cannot wait to see this very interesting project done!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great steps, Bob @v1pro
    Nicely uniform aluminum paintwork.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Great combination of scratch-building and prepping the kit parts for painting, Bob (@v1pro). The NMF looks great.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, John and George, thanks. I am enjoying this build, lets see how much I can get done for today.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The decal set I'll be using is from Xtradecal, a sheet filled with Me-262's and the Avia S-92 markings for my build.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Future gloss coats applied, then the decals. The Xtradecal set went on with no issues. I used a pencil to high light all of the raised details and the hinged area of the flight controls. Tamiya Panel high lighter was also used on the flight controls hinge area to fill in what the pencil was not able to reach. I also had to add a bit more weight because it needed it.

Another gloss coats were applied, worked on the gear doors and wheels. And pretty soon I will be done after a flat coat is applied, remove the mask from the canopy and then paint the navigational lights...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here are the I call it done shots! The final shot is both Frog's S-92 and KP's CS-199 in Czech markings.

This was an enjoyable build by simply suing a different set of decals I got to make a Me-262 become an Avia S-92. It is an old kit that was released in the early 70's so it is not a perfect build but for me this is the stuff I really like to build.

Note, the Czech planes that are silver are not metal finished but painted with dope aluminum.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks fantastic, @v1pro ! Both of them.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Jay!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Awesome result, Bob @v1pro
    Saw it just on the headlines.