Hawker Typhoon Mk1B 1/24

Started by Rob Pollock · 43 · 8 years ago · Airfix, Humbrol, RB Productions
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Al,

Yes, all in the kit. I think it may be the first time I haven't had to scratch-detail the wells, as the parts provided are more than sufficient.

• Profile Photo
    cesare p said 9 years, 8 months ago:

hi rob! n unusual question how much you paid for this model! thanks ! ah by the way what a terrific work on it! ciao!

• Profile Photo

Hi Cesare,

I bought the kit on a special pre-order deal, a few days before the kit was released last month, for £80 + postage, which was £20 cheaper than most other offers.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Great build so far, Rob ! Looks like another stunner from you.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good Rob, any for seeable problems?
    Mine is still in the stash until I can really clear the bench for this beauty.

• Profile Photo

I think I've built through the critical stages. Hopefully, a straight run now.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 8 months ago:

It's looking really impressive, Rob, like many others, I can't wait to see the finished article. Eighty quid for an Airfix kit, that's a long way from the one and six I used to pay for the 1/72 kits that came in a polythene bag when I was a kid! Mind you, I'm sure this kit is a long way from those kits as well!

• Profile Photo
    William Alvin Hillocks said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Rob, I am following your article about the Typhoon build with great interest as I am now working on it,although not as far on as you.I note your comments about cowling fit problems if the complete engine is being built. I see Airfix have coloured the part numbers green in their instructions which should be avoided if you want to add the 3 upper cowling covers which I want to leave off. This gave me the impression that the lower panels would be OK to fit but it looks like they were giving you a problem. Also could you let me know what colours you have used for the undercarriage area and the gun bays.

Many Thanks

Alvin

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 11 months ago:

That's some amazing work, Rob...the rockets themselves are a work of art IMO. This one's gonna be a show-stopper for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Alvin, the cowling fits according to the amount of engine detail you want to show, if that makes sense. The lower panels will fit ok, it's the lower side panels I think were a problem (that said, this was done in August 2014, so some of the details are less clear now in memory). Certainly the top panels wouldn't fit with all the engine detail on view. As a rule of thumb, the images supplied by Airfix accurately show which panels can be removed (or not), to view engine detail. As you can see, I removed fuselage sections and the port wing top, so a few engine panels were just background work really, because of the design I wanted to follow with the scratchbuilt exposed detailing.

I think the wells were either flat aluminium or a combination of flat alii and a wash of pale green. I'm actually at a club show at the moment so don't have the model to hand. If it's a big deal with the colour let me know and I'll have a look later and get back to you.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Craig. I've had it at a couple of shows since last year and it attracts a lot of interest.

• Profile Photo
    John Francis Smith said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Fantastic work, Rob.

I have started this kit, but found it to be a lot more difficult than I expected. I'm sure it must just be me, but I found that the "new format" Airfix instructions were a bit difficult to follow and unclear in places about part location. So, I have set it aside for the moment and will resume when I am more ready to devote the time to it that it deserves.

Your build is very inspirational and I'm sure will be the "go to" reference for me when I resume work on mine.

John

• Profile Photo
    William Alvin Hillocks said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Rob many thanks for your reply re the Typhoon, i think to do it justice it is best to leave the detailed engine completely uncovered especially after some of the twists and turns necessary to get some of the pipework fitted

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. The instructions are good, but it can be confusing the way they colour-highlight certain parts to indicate the part location in what in fact is the following step. You almost need to read ahead and then back again to the current step to ensure the correct sequence. Also, I had an early version with some errors in the printed detail and a couple of missing/damaged parts, but I think these were sorted out in later production runs.

The kit is definitely worth the attention required. They're starting to appear at shows now on a regular basis, so must be popular, although the scale isn't to everyone's liking.

Good luck with the build.

• Profile Photo

Hi Alvin. A sensible call. I checked the wells by the way - they're in ali with a weak dark wash to pop the the detail.

By the way the original Headline article is at http://imodeler.com/2014/09/under-the-skin-hawker-typhoon-mk-1b/

Good luck.