Heinkel He. 111 Revell-Monogram 1/48

Started by Colin Gomez · 25 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Nice save @coling. I don't know MM Acryl lasted as long as it did. I tried one bottle once - worst paint ever!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Good to see you back on it with your He.111, @coling. Glad I never tried MM Acryl. Whatever painting disaster happened, you pulled off a great save.

Changing the subject to another of your builds, have you checked out the Falklands Argentine Scooter on the cover of the current FineScale Modeler magazine yet?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great save indeed, Colin @coling
    Although it took you quite some extra work, it did result in a much better looking camouflage.
    Also the decals do look real nice.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Excellent result, as usual, my friend @coling! You overcame the painting "mishap" your usual meticulous way. Interesting that your extra decal sheet did not contain the underside crosses, makes little sense coming to think of it.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Looks great, Colin! I have one of those that stalled out at the painting stage. Thanks for the inspiration to dig it out soon.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. I bought a bunch of MM Acryl paints nearly 15 years ago. They still spray fine, mostly but it's the colors that do me in. The MM enamel paints had a great reputation for color accuracy back then, especially for Luftwaffe subjects. Apparently, it didn't carry over to the Acryl range. I nearly wrecked a late war Bf-109k scheme some time ago with low contrast "RLM 81" and "82" and I should have known better about the RLM 70 this time. That's a model I will never show. Anyway, I still use the MM Acryl Flat, which I bought only about 5 years ago. I am not sure what I will replace it with when it runs out. Maybe Tamiya or Gunze Flat or Semi-Gloss or even Valejo. Any suggestions?

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Eric. See my comments about MM Acryl to Tom, above. I checked out the preview of the Falklands A-4c you mentioned, since I don't subscribe to the magazine. Thanks for the tip. It looks good. That's the scheme I originally proposed doing but I didn't like the way the turquoise ID panels looked with the camo or red flap bays. Dumb, I know, since it is historically accurate, but the A-4b just looked aesthetically nicer to me as well as being very historically consequential.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I am getting better at handling the Eagle Cal decals. They went down very well with Micro Sol this time.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Yeah, it was a pain that they casually require you to use those. They are huge and maybe too big to survive as conventional Eagle Cal thin decals. They are obviously too fragile as Monogram decals as well. I considered painting the crosses on but it was more work than I wanted to do with all the stencil making, masking and spraying entailed.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Glad to provide the inspiration. The He-111 is a very interesting looking airplane. It is only the fourth Luftwaffe subject of my modelling career but it has gone well so far. Looking forward to seeing yours done as well!