Hobby Craft P-26

Started by Jim Harley · 27 · 4 years ago · Hobby Craft, P-26, Peashooter
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 6 months ago:

More plastic goodness. I've always loved the P-26 and this one is the perfect scale. I was initially thinking this would take a couple weeks to get to the primer stage. I've spent about an hour a day tinkering with it and 4 sessions she is ready for prime. So far the only mod has been detaching the elevators from the horizontal and building the small hinges from Evergreen. Before I glued the wings together the flying wire holes were drilled out to a better angle, hopefully this helps down the line with installation. It'll be finished in the March Field scheme ala the box. Such a great era of aviation.

jim

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Ahhh - the era of aviation when planes had trousers! I'm in line to follow this build!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I'm right there with Erik ! Sign me up as well...

This is such a cool little plane. It is from my favorite era in aviation. It reminds me of the cartoon planes you would see as a kid, which were re runs of re runs, but still entertaining.

The work you have done so far looks wonderful...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 4 years, 6 months ago:

That is a very nice kit and goes together well. Nice start and you will be pleased with the final result. I built it two years ago as a "gift" for my wife...I call it the Fabergé Easter Egg of fighter planes. My build is here on iModeler if you are curious. Cheers, Tom

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

This is really coming along nicely. I have always liked this aircraft and have several kits in my stash, both of this model and the 1/72 Revell version. Now that you are paving the way, maybe I can break the ice and build one.

Tom (@trod348), I also went and found your article in the archives. Very nice. One of the best paint schemes going.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 6 months ago:

So many wires so little time. Hopefully it will make it to the Cleveland show? I'll be looking forward to the final result Jim.

• Profile Photo

You guys rock, I appreciate all your enthusiasm. Tom, I found your build as well, good stuff! I'm going to try and get this done for Cleveland, it's on pace so we shall see. The Corsair is definitely going. I got the engine built and through silver and wash. The paint is going on the airframe with the white tail feathers and turtledeck being first. I decided to try doing a filter to the wing. I mixed Tamiya Flat Earth and Tamiya Gloss yellow and thinned to probably 80-20 alcohol to paint. It went on great, I did pretty wide panel line stripes on the left wing and narrowed it down on the right. When it drys I'll shoot a coat of yellow on and build it up slowly. Fun experiment, hope it works 🙂 more soon!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Not much of an update...got the yellow and white finished. I shot a coat of clear on her and let it dry for a couple days. I taped up the important bits and shot the first mist coat of green on this morning. Real work is getting in the way 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Have I mentioned how much I love Tamiya paint? 🙂 Got the tape peeled off and no issues with it coming up with adhesive. Ok, I'll move on. Just a few places to touch up but overall it's pretty good. I'm going to shoot it with gloss clear and get the decals going. They only supplied the topside scallops on the horizontal so I'm going to attempt to cut the bottom stencil from Frisket. I made a copy of the decals on my printer to use as a pattern. Might work? One thing I forgot to do was spray the wing walks black but that's an easy fix.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Very cool Jim ! That is some great spraying there ... and a very colorful plane to boot.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Well buddy if not Cleveland there's always Columbus in February. Looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 6 months ago:

coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the kind words! I love this paint scheme, it's always been a stand out, that and the P6-E with the 'Snow Owl' scheme. The proverbial nail in the coffin happened last night with the decals. I was thinking if I drank a lot of coffee and burnt some midnight oil I could get it done for Cleveland. But, alas, the decals are really bad...they are more like vinyl stickers. I'm going to have to make some of them work for this scheme, but I can't live with the big white and black stripes. I put the left side on last night and all the detail of the fuselage went away. I ordered some 1/8" flexible masking tape to do the large markings. The meatball stars and U.S. Army will have to do, and actually don't look bad after dousing them with micro sol. February in Columbus it is 🙂

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Nice!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

This paint scheme is really cool! I can't wait to see the finish plane.