Hobbycraft Avro CF-100 Canuck 1/48

Started by Morne Meyer · 225 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

With your fabulous work you do not need to throw any money after the AM products - ever! Very well made seat Morne.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks Erik. Unfortunately I have done so in the past at great expense but once the scratchbuilding bug has got hold of you, you don't go back.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Another WOW, Morne.
    You keep on surprising us each time.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Morne, this is incredible work and very informative to a newbie! I will be following your build to improve my knowledge on the real small detail. Many thanks and very inspiring!

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys for the kind comments. Your support on this build is very encouraging. Scratchbuilding can be a tedious process that tests your patience to the limit as it often is progress through trial and error. Happy to have you all onboard for this one!

• Profile Photo

Next up on the agenda for detailing is the sparse cockpit. Most details won't be seen once the cockpit is enclosed in the fuselage. Moreover, the cockpit is mostly black so most details will disappear. Needless to say I know it's there. Lol.

The RIO's cockpit received a new radar scope from Evergreen styrene, drilled out and clear plastic inserted to simulate the radar screen. The throttle controls were made from thin plasticard and rod. A resin instrument panel was sourced from the spares box. I added solder wire to the back of the instrument panel to replicate all the wiring for the various instruments. Lastly the ADF loop aerial was replaced with clear sprue sanded to shape. Details were added to the ADF loop aerial attachment point made from Evergreen styrene and solder wire.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Compliments again, Morne.
    A nicely detailed interior.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

You're really knocking this one out of the park, Morne.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Your spectacular work goes on, my friend @mornem!
    I loved the wiring rendition.
    Your duperdetailing is an inspiration to me.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

John, Tom and Spiros thanks for the nice compliments. Coming from such accomplished modelers as yourselves it definitely inspires me!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Wow - I was straining my noggin trying to figure out what the seat cushion was, and when you said BandAid I was amazed! Way to repurpose! Continuing to amaze...

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg. The cushion that the pilot is sitting on is made from modeling clay whilst the BandAid replicates the back cushion. It adds a bit of 'realism' to the ejection seat. Thanks for the comment!

• Profile Photo

Today I had little bench time due to work. I added some small details to the cockpit and ejection seat. The sidewalls of the cockpit were simulated with plasticard. Some small details will be added to the sidewalls as per the I know it's there excuse. Some additional details from Pewter foil and plasticard were added to the area in front of the instrument panel. Guide rails for the ejection seats were installed. A small pouch made from Pewter foil was added to the side of the ejection seat. A small piece of Evergreen rod and plasticard simulate a flight instrument that attached to the inside of the windscreen framing. I added thin solder wire to the back of the instrument that will be attached to the inside of the windscreen frame leading down to the instrument panel.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Details details. . . . - and I absolutely love them!

• Profile Photo

Very nice work done again, Morne.