How about Meng’s Fokker?

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 9 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

One of my workbench projects for the last months roams back to the air war above the trenches of Flandres.
    The much anticipated but stillborn WnW Fokker DR.1 got a new breath of life from Meng.
    I won’t bother writing about that whole affair or even how it looks in the box. Much like another thread I have here (checkerboard nose 190) I rather illustrate how it builds and some insights here and there. I have no idea how accurate this kit is but it looks a DR.1 for sure!

1- The engine & propeller

this was where I started building this kit. Composed with just under 20 pieces the whole thing builds effortlessly and after careful painting delivers a beautiful rendition that catches the eye. Painting the propeller with oils I tried my best to simulate the highly varnished compressed wood sections.

2- The cockpit

With a multitude of pieces and a rather disappointing instruction booklet, for a ww1 newbie like me, it was quite a task understanding what went where, especially because I like to paint all I can before actually assembling, which in a cockpit with so many different materials/colors seen it’s much more easy to get it done.
    According to the instructions the interior of the Fokker was linen dope and wood structure halfway. The floor is also bare wood. The remaining colours are an educated guess from information picked elsewhere.
    You can see that on the left side I already added tension cords but not yet on the right side. I’m using Gaspatch metal turnbuckles and EZ line... not my favorite part of the build.
    The fuselage halves with the cockpit section in it fit ok

3- The wings

After getting the upper and the lower wing in hot water to solve a slight warp of the parts, the assembly of the triplane wings went well on a dry run. I tried to achieve a slight translucency of the red where linen is.

4 - Undercarriage

To call this part flimsy is an understatement. I decided to do a dry run and as soon as the “legs” seem in place with the fuselage I went for the fast drying liquid glue to get then in permanent position.

5- The Spandau MGs

The kit comes with full injection plastic MGs and a mixed plastic + PE option.
    This one provides a much more realistic perforated tube than the plastic part but getting that part rolled up nicely just was not cup of tea so I got some from Master, and that is a simple cut and glue to the main body of the plastic MG. Painted with Xtreme Metal Gun Metal it looks nice to me.

Thanks for watching and commenting if you like

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Your DR.1 looks really amazing, Pedro @holzhamer!
    I can see a jewel of a model coming to life.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That is amazing what you have done so far, Pedro.
    Fantastic paintwork on every detail.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, that is awesome! I like it all, and if at all possible to just point out one thing the paintjob on that propeller is spot on! You have come far on this one, and I'll be strapped in for the rest of the tour - bring it on @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Nice rich colors and beautiful detail work! Looks great.

• Profile Photo

Appreciate all your great feedback gents! This kit, much like all WnW kits, gives a lot of scope when it comes to painting. Hardly boring in that department 🙂 it’s a very enjoyable build and any modeller with a few WW1 planes in the belt can really build a stunning Triplane

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Superb progress on this build Pedro. Sad to see WnW go, this kit and your wonderful work of it makes the situation seem so bittersweet.

• Profile Photo

You’re right about WnW demise Andrew, but at least this (and perhaps others) kit got through the situation and reach the market. I have a feeling we will continue to see some moulds popping up under different brand labels. Thanks for the comments!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I just stumbled across this work in progress of your Meng Dr-1... It is an incredible looking model ! I can't believe the details molded into this kit, and how you have painted things so nicely. It looks like a shrunk down version of the real thing. I agree with the choice to use the PE for the gun barrel jackets.

You do some seriously good work ! 🙂

Now I will have to watch this one as well as your Eduard 190. Thanks for starting this build and if you don't mind, I will ask for your input, and possible use of some of these pictures you posted, when I start working on the Meng Dr-1 kit review article I mentioned a month or so ago.