ICM B-26 K Counter Invader

Started by David Butler · 57 · 8 months ago · 1/48, CIA, Counter Invader, ICM
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

updated with new progress and photos

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

@dbutlr Never understood why ICM went with modular pieces on the B-26K specific upper fuselage since no Counter Invader ever mounted the turrets. But it looks like you are handling the fitting well there.

Got on the way a set of Vector propellers along with some 3D printed corrected tip tanks. Still debating to build an RB-26K but that means getting an A/B-26C just for the glass nose plus building the K38 camera that goes in that nose along with bomb bay mounted cameras. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Keep at it, you are doing good.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great-looking model, David (@dbutlr). I always approach kits with one eye closed, as it is possible to really jump down the rabbit hole when you start dealing with inaccuracies. All kits have compromises and inaccuracies, so it is really about what level of accuracy (or inaccuracy) you are willing to accept. This one does seem to have some glaring problems, especially for its price. Hopefully this won't turn into one of those builds where you spend as much money on the add-ons and replacement parts as the kit originally cost.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

You’re making some great progress here. Photos are great and all the conversation about the inaccuracies is quite valuable, David@dbutlr. Here’s a built up ICM B-26K I spied at a recent Santa Rosa, CA model meet. Note that the modeler also used the Vector replacement nose.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking good, David!

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 9 months, 1 week ago:

thanks for the photos @eb801 that is a beautiful build and it will definitely be a helpful reference! That aftermarket nose sure looks good- I am still trying to decide if it is worth the extra $35ish to get the Vector nose. . . I think George @gblair summed up the balancing act between what inaccuracies a modeler is willing to accept especially when you factor in the cost.

Part of me thinks that when the model is collecting dust on the shelf after it is built if I will really care about the shape on the nose while the other part of me is bothered that the nose, the wheels, and apparently the props are not correct!

Decisions decisions! If I had to say right now I am leaning towards replacing the wheels but not the nose at this point, however I am still thinking about it

@kahu thanks for the encouragement and your RB-26K idea sounds amazing! Please go for it and do a WIP thread!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

That is a lot of money, David. I bought that very set over a year ago and I think they were slightly cheaper (exchange rate dif?) but then there’s the shipping. I just looked the other way and went for it. I think it gets down to the “enjoyment factor” in addition to what George said.

Only you will notice what’s wrong with this kit. Obviously judging by the wheels alone, it does appear somebody at ICM didn’t.

Here’s a really good source for Vector Resin Models that I use in the UK:

https://www.neomega-resin.com/allied-aircraft-parts-83-c.asp

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 months, 1 week ago:
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Try Linden Hill Imports here in the good ol' USA. The nose is in stock and the price is $15.

https://www.lindenhillimports.com/store/p1624/VDS48133.html#/

For those who like other Vector stuff, it is all in stock there.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Eric @eb801 - that is a very nice Counter Invader on display. My next build I think I will forgo installing the batteries inside the nacelle main gear wells. Only I know they are there. So that's sound advice.

Thanks to Tom @tcinla I notice the Vector nose is of better detail. Still not sure if I will get one. Though I maybe game for it now that my B-26K has lost another antenna while a QB machine gun barrel in the nose seems to have been swallowed by the carpet monster. Yeesh.

Chuck @uscusn I noticed those wheels also, please let me know how they are.

David @dbutlr please do not encourage me! 😉 Though I think I got a dodge for the nose mounted Fairchild K-38, the Eduard camera set for the F-6D/RF-51D has a resin one that looks close. Before you ask I already have the Brassin set, thought I would use it for the RF-51D but realized once the fuselage is closed up no one will ever see any of the detail. Luckily ICM provides two sets of B-26K doors and both have the molded in spots for the cameras. As for the glass nose, that will be another hurdle to surmount.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for providing that Ebay Hypersonic link Chuck @uscusn. Those wheels look perfect. I also put in an order. We shall see.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Hi, David (@dbutlr). Sometimes it is a tough decision whether to add a bunch of aftermarket parts that could easily cost as much, or more, than the model itself. If you are building the model for a contest, then the expense might be worth it, but if it is for the shelf, then perhaps a different answer. I have bought stuff from both A-Modeler in Australia and Linden Hill. I can tell you I got the stuff from Australia in a couple of weeks and Linden Hill took considerably longer. Whatever you decide, I am sure the model will look great.

• Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looking good chap and on my list of “quirky Vietnam era prop driven bad a*s aeroplanes”😆😎. Some interesting reading there, particularly as this isn’t one we see much of over here for obvious reasons. It makes you wonder. Why when modellers can get it researched, the manufacturers it seems can’t, or are they in league with the after market merchants? When I started back into modelling I was determined to build it out of the box and not get sucked in by all of the resin/PE/printed fandango “costs twice what the kit did” stuff. The trouble is that if you really care you try to get it right. I will never exhibit my models, been there done that and I think it is so subjective (and so many expert judges...aren’t) that it’s grief for the sake of it but if it’s your thing, great. If it’s not though, you still want to get it right so it plays on your tiny little mind🤨😳😆. Ah well, mini rant over, whatever the outcome great job and enjoy it👍😎

• Profile Photo
    Chris Ballard said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Looking good chap and on my list of “quirky Vietnam era prop driven bad a*s aeroplanes”😆😎. Some interesting reading there, particularly as this isn’t one we see much of over here for obvious reasons. It makes you wonder. Why when modellers can get it researched, the manufacturers it seems can’t, or are they in league with the after market merchants? When I started back into modelling I was determined to build it out of the box and not get sucked in by all of the resin/PE/printed fandango “costs twice what the kit did” stuff. The trouble is that if you really care you try to get it right. I will never exhibit my models, been there done that and I think it is so subjective (and so many expert judges...aren’t) that it’s grief for the sake of it but if it’s your thing, great. If it’s not though, you still want to get it right so it plays on your tiny little mind🤨😳😆. Ah well, mini rant over, whatever the outcome great job and enjoy it👍😎

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Chris @chrisballard To paraphrase Khan, "this kit, it tasks me!" 😀

David @dbutlr The following picture is taken from the 1B-26K-4 T.O. Figure 102 dated 15 September 1965. Added annotations to identify the cameras found in the RB-26K. This technical order is a weird beastie as it has dual torpedo mount in the bomb bay which has caused me to have visions of a B-26K settling in for a torpedo run on a sampan.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.