ICM B-26 K Counter Invader

Started by David Butler · 57 · 8 months ago · 1/48, CIA, Counter Invader, ICM
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Eric @eb801, great, another thing to buy for my next Counter Invader. 😉

Still not sure David @dbutlr if it will be an RB-26K. Stay tuned?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Everything is coming along well, David (@dbutlr). Ingenious solution for nose weights, I never would have thought to use coins. And the coins probably cost less than anything you might have bought to use as weights in the nose.

• Profile Photo
    David Butler said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Its been a little while since I've posted any updates. I was distracted with what was supposed to be a "quick" and "fun" side build which was neither and is not temporarily sitting on the shelf of doom awaiting a decision on it's fate.

I added the glass to the B-26 and am in the final stages of sanding and doing some rescribing of lost panel lines.

I am really excited about the aftermarket wheels I ordered that arrived a few days ago from BNA model world in Australia- they look gorgeous and appear to be lightyears ahead of the what is provided in the kit

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, David! Getting close to paint.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @dbutlr!
    Indeed, these aftermarket wheels look awesome!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 1 week ago:

The wheels look perfect, David (@dbutlr). I like to get replacement wheels if the ones in the kit are split into two parts. I have found that the tread seldom survives my sanding to get the two sides blended. I really like BNA ModelWorld in Australia. Their prices seem good, and the stuff gets here pretty fast. I once ordered something from England and something from Australia at the same time, and the stuff from Australia arrived a week before the stuff from England.

• Profile Photo

Agreed @gblair BNA and Sprue Brothers are my go to online shops. I really like the BNA rewards points as well. I had some points stored up on their site from almost 10 years ago and I redeemed them with no problem- it was a nice surprise to be sure

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 1 week ago:

We have the same go-to sites, David (@dbutlr). Great minds think alike. :o)

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

David @dbutlr yes the Aires wheels are far far better than what comes in the kit. Looks like you are about to start painting. Which green for the top color do you plan to use?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Very nice progress, David @dbutlr
    Indeed, those wheels are a huge improvement over the original ones.

• Profile Photo

@kahu I ordered Vallejo emerald green. It looked right on my screen but it looks a little light when it arrived. We will see how it looks over a black primer. Any suggestions on a good color choice?

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

David @dbutlr

I have two sources that agree on the FS numbers for the green over gray scheme. The oldest is The IPMS/USA Quarterly, Vol. 16 No.4 - Summer 1981. Pg 178. Second is the recently released Caracal Models CD48219 B-26K Counter Invader decal sheet from 2022.

Dark Green is FS 14062.
    Light Gray is FS 16492.

Looking at the Cybermodeler FS 595c paint cross reference we get these model paints:

Dark Green/Deep Green - Life Color 040.
    Light Gray/Dawn Gray - Mr. Paint 362 or XtraColour X147.

Hope this helps.