ICM B-26 K Counter Invader

Started by David Butler · 57 · 8 months ago · 1/48, CIA, Counter Invader, ICM
  • Profile Photo
    David Butler said 9 months, 1 week ago:

thanks for sharing @kahu - I think that this might lead to a very interesting build in the near future!

• Profile Photo

Continued to work on assembly over the last few days:

the directions called for 40g of weight in the nose to keep it from being a tail sitter. After a quick Google search of "things that weigh 40g" I discovered that a nickel weighs 5g so 8 nickels totals to 40g. I glued them in stacks of 4 and secured them in the nose along with a single 2.5g penny just in case. Looks like I just added 41 cents to the cost of the build!
    I added the nose (yes I decided against the Vector nose) and drilled out the nose guns with a #11 blade
    you can see the progress so far along with the engines in the foreground starting to take shape
    when I added the nacelles one side fit perfectly, the other side had such a large gap I had to use a styrene shim to close it!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @dbutlr! And 41 cents added price!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Well that is certainly adding more than your two cents worth. You did a better job with the nacelle to wing join than I did.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months, 1 week ago:

You certainly got your 41¢ worth that's for sure. This is coming along right nicely, David @dbutlr

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Perfect solution, David @dbutlr
    I don't think any thief will ever search there to get his money.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 1 week ago:

David @dbutlr got in today the Vector propellers and I can see what Tom @tcinla is talking about. The kit blades you can sand to make them look better but without replacement the hubs are the Achilles heel. Compared to the ones from Vector, the ICM hubs are very soft on details and the boss tip is crude and over-sized. Did I mention another ICM B-26K kit came with the props? Beware eBay. Do another straight B-26K after the possible RB-26K or maybe the YB-26K? I'll think about it. Back to the TBD-1 and RF-51D.

• Profile Photo

@kahu- sounds like you are really upping the game with the aftermarket parts, looking forward to seeing the finished results when they come in. I passed on the nose and props but I did get the Aires wheel set to address the inaccuracies in the wheel. I did do some comparing of the kit props and the Vector ones and was left scratching my head as to what the team at ICM was thinking when they did theirs- they specifically had to make new tool parts for the B-26k and still wound up getting it wrong when it came to the props. For me being on a tight budget I will just deal with it this time but if I build this kit a 2nd time around I will get the props and nose

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 months, 1 week ago:

This is really progressing well, David. I’m glad you’re doing the Congolese version. My uncle was in charge of maintaining them for a period of time I think in ‘64 and ‘65. He was the Maintenance officer for the training squadron at Hurlburt Field at the time. He was sent to the Congo to supervise the care of these rebuilds and the T-28s in theater. The Cuban mercenaries didn’t want to fly the B-26s in the Congo because of the wing shedding incidents the older models had earlier during the Bay of Pigs run up.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Neat idea using the coins. The kit nose isnt so bad once is all together, I myself could've lived with it. Any other plane I would just enhance the cockpit, wheels, and decals. The B-26K is one of my favorite air frames which has me stepping up and gettting some extras. The first example built back in the 90's was base on what was known at the time no clue on the wheels until, the Paragon set was easy to use to modify the Monogram B-26C kit, (black plastic glass nose) it was easy to convert with minor surgery. It was a few years later more information became available about the details that made the K so much more different than just some cosmetic add ons. Such as the wheels, avionics, scoops. Meteor Productions, AKA Cutting Edge produced a B-26K conversion with a bit more details and the correct wheels. Expensive and much harder to convert. And now extremely rare and more expensive. But it is designed for the Monogram kit. The only thing useful now for the ICM would be the wheels if you can find them. But Hypersonic finally has produced the ultimate correct wheels. Now for the Congolese version, the wheels from Aries will work as they were used on the earlier produced "K's". I also suffered the same fate with the wide gap on the LH side nacelle. The RH side fit was perfect. Same issue on the earlier variant kits offered by ICM. I was hoping it was my booboo on the B-26C I built earlier, but no it is a common issue so far on all their B-26's

• Profile Photo

Completed work on the beautifully detailed and complex engines today.

I took some pictures before adding the cowlings to appreciate the amazing detail that for the most part will be hidden forever. ICM really knocked this part of the kit out of the build

. Although comprising of many different parts each engine assembles easily- they even include a jig to help you get everything lined up nicely at the end of the multi-step build.

The detail is more than sufficient for me although adding wires would take them to a even higher level

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

These engines look wonderful, my friend @dbutlr!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

They do look very nice, David @dbutlr

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months ago:

The R-2800s are one of the solid good things in the kit, too bad once the cowlings are on most of the detail will be hidden.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Engine looks terrific with nice kit detail. That's good news those R-2800s are one of the things ICM got right. Seems like there is always an issue with every kit ever made regardless of how good it is, David @dbutlr.

By the way, I just received a set of 3D printed resin B-26K Counter Invader wheels made by Hypersonic that Chuck @uscusn was referring to in your build thread. They look perfectly correct to me although the printed logos on the tyre sidewalls are rather soft, but that's a very minor issue once they are painted. I can't figure out why ICM botched the wheels when they got so much of the other details right. This would have saved me $20 had ICM paid attention as the kit wheels are totally wrong. These Hypersonic wheels are more accurate than what ResKit offers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.