Ilyushin Il-102 - the last Sturmovik

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 15 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 4 years, 2 months ago:

New year, new project.

A&A released a 1:72 model of this very unique looking aircraft last year. Having its roots basically in WW2 era Il-2 Sturmovik attack aircraft, it is so much more bizzare, that this aircraft of archaic looking design was still marketed in early 1990s. Only one flying prototype was made, which made around 250 flights in period between 1982 and 1984 when engines livese expired. The aircraft can now be seen as one of the gate guards at Gromov Research Center at Zhukovski, Russia.

The aircraft being of quite a modular design, I've decided to skip the usual assembly flow of starting with the cockpit and tackled the engine nacelles first. The engines are designed to include the full length intakes and exhausts.

While the turbine blades look convincing enough, I was less impressed by the intake itself. Composed of two halves, the plastic was too wide to fit around the curvature of the turbine. I ended up shaving away around 1mm of plastic on each mating surface to achieve a fit. However this worsens the seam itself which will have to be carefully puttied and sanded from the inside. A job I am not really looking forward.

While turbine blades are normally of a darker metallic colour, I normally paint them in a much brighter aluminum and put on a black wash to accentuate the shadows. The reason is, that these parts are sitting deep in the intakes where little light reaches them and are thus more visible.

The whole engine assembly dryfitted to the interior of the engine nacelle half. While the intake parts itself had a more serious fitting issue, the middle connecting tube and the exhaust itself were much better fit. Especially the latter with a single piece outside part helps to hide any seams on the inside.

Il-102 main landing gear was stowed in such gondolas. Multipiece affair but it goes together rather well and fits perfectly into the wings. Also nicely detailed with combination of raised rivets, engraved lines and delicate interior frame work.

So, if you wish to pose open bomb bays, you have to cut the doors out of the lower wing half; Just carefully follow the engraved line with a scriber and you'll be fine.

The result of the cut bomb bay doors. Pretty neat result with the help of that engraved line on the inner side.

You have an option to either build the aircraft with closed or open bomb bays. If you choose the later, you have to install the bomb bay sidewalls onto the inner side of upper wing half. Again like MLG gondola, nice interior detail and perfect fit.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 2 months ago:

The ‘102’ is one crazy looking bird. Don’t think I’ve seen one around here, a rare beast. Looking forward to seeing her develop, especially as the colour schemes for this baby are pretty cool.

Bring it on, Aleks!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I'm with David. This is a really interesting looking airplane. Looking forward to seeing how this kit builds.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 4 years, 1 month ago:

With some time off, being on home readiness every second week, but parenting still taking a considerable chunk of it, I managed to move forward with my Il-102 build.

K-36s painted up and ready for installation.

Il-102s heavy wings and tail design scream of a tailseater. Combination of lead fishing weights and Uschi van der Rosten Three Green in the nose will hopefully do the trick.

Instead of adding engine pods after the fuselage is closed, I'd rather install them before that, thus easily pressing them together against the fuselage surface and minimize the possible gaps.

The fuselage is together and cleaned, and I am now working on smoothing out the tail connection to the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years ago:

That is one radical looking airplane! Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years ago:

I just about died the first time I saw a picture of one of these. (Would the NATO codename have been Fugly?) It makes the Fisher XP-75 look like a Spitfire! The VVS was probably wise to pass it up because they got a heck of a plane with the Frogfoot. (Still not gorgeous, but I here tell it's a hoot to fly! In reality the test pilots gave the 102 high marks and it could heft 15,000lbs into the air so it was no slouch. Just odd.)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

I am looking forward to seeing this model completed. It is so unusual that it will be cool just sitting there on the shelf. The seats look really good. Are they the ones that came with the kit or are they aftermarket?

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 4 years ago:

Thank you guys!

Yeah 102 was certainly one of a kind and such an oddity that I simply have to have in my model collection.

Anyhow, model is now primed and almost ready for painting. Why almost? Because during the photo shoot, I noticed a small crack appeared in the nose, which I have to fix first!

The aircraft is a real behemoth. Compared to the MiG-21, it looks like it's a bigger scale. I imagine its size wouldn't be an advantage over the battlefield either.

Armament to be mounted on the aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Here she is. Took a while but I am satisfied with the result.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years ago:

Fantastic camouflage Sebastian, looking at the plane one can see its ancestor details in certain areas

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years ago:

Really nice camo, Sebastijan @inflames. Did you mask it or is it freehand? What brand of paints did you use?

• Profile Photo

It's a freehand job. I use Harder&Steenback Evolution airbrush with 0.15 nozzle and Mr.Paint acrylic lacquers.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years ago:

Nicely painted Sebastijan, looking good.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 years ago:

I have to admit that I love odd looking aircraft, Sebastijan. To me this aviation oddity is beauty, especially when I see well built representations, like yours. You work is excellent and it evolves nicely. Cannot wait to see it finished!
    All the best @inflames!

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys!

@fiveten I also love these odd looking aircraft. Having built a few, I also have quite some in the stash and even more in the wish list 😀