Kinetic 1/48 IA-58 Pucara

Started by Tom Cleaver · 41 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Given that everyone thought this airplane looked very cool when they became aware of it 40 years ago in the Falklands War, it's hard to believe that it took until the airplane went out of first line service (some of the 40 left are being extended in service as reconnaissance platforms) to get one in mainstream injection-molded plastic. But this was worth the wait.

This is Kinetic's best kit yet. Beautiful petite surface detail, and great fit so far. I don't think - from assembling the wing and test-fitting other parts - that I will have to use any filler anywhere.

A good idea when taking parts off the sprue, since their attachments are "proud" of the interior of the part, is to cut them off the sprue close to the tree, then take off the nibs and clean up the part when you won't have any pressure to bend/tear the nib and ruin the part - they're that close in tolerances.

I was concerned about nose-sitting, since the majority of the fuselage is aft of the main gear, bit it is possible to put weights into the separate front section of each engine nacelle, and given the gear retracts forward, when down it is aft enough you have a moment arm to make the weights work even that close to the CG. I'll also put some more "squashed cannonball" fish weights under the cockpit aft of the nose gear, and I think that will keep it nose-sitting right.

The big canopy is really clear, so you can close it up and keep the nice lines, while still able to see the cockpit, which has enough detail you won't be getting a resin replacement. However, if you can source a MB-6 ejection seat in resin, get two. The seats are the only bit that aren't super - though they're definitely "good enough."

The kit gives you TER bomb racks but no bombs, just underwing gas tanks, so I will be sourcing Mk. 82s from the Hasegawa weapons set.

Overall: Buy. In. Confidence.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I believe the proper technical term for this kit is "Easy Peasy."

Follow the instructions, take care in taking parts off the sprues, assemble with care and there you are: a nice kit, fits well, looks good.

Without a doubt, Kinetic's best ever. One of the nicest kits I have dealt with in a very long time.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Oh my! Another model put together in excellence and in speed of light from the TC Models production line.
    An amazing result so far, my friend @tcinla! Thanks for the kit info, such a great thing to have a modern, spotless quarter scale Pucara.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom: nice to hear Kinetic has done a good job with this kit. Your build is first I’ve seen of this Pucara. I’ve had my eye on this kit from the get go but it seems like they are only available from across the Pacific sources.

• Profile Photo

Get it from Lucky Model - pay for the air shipment or it will be months.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Starting off nicely as always, Tom.
    Looking forward to the end result.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the info, Tom. I have built the ancient Airfix Pucara a couple of times, but I have been waiting for this one to come out. The research topic for my master's degree concerned the Falkland War, and I wanted to build models of the key aircraft in 1/48, but I was lacking a Pucara. Problem solved. :o)

• Profile Photo

As I finish off the cockpit, I have been thinking what to paint it. Internet research turned up the fact that the first Pucaras to operate on the Malvinas/Falklands (being an American with both British and Argentinian friends, I'll refer to the islands this way) arrived in the overall anodized aluminum finish the production airplanes direct for the Fuerza Aerea Argentina were delivered in (other airplanes produced for foreign contracts that didn't work out were taken on in the paint scheme they received at the factory). Once on the islands, they received an "in the field" rough paint job. Also a photo of the crews with the first one they painted. That's what I am going to do with this. I love the fact that because they didn't have a tall-enough ladder, they couldn't completely paint the tail.

Attached are photos of a model of one of these airplanes by Jose Texeido, and a photo of the Pucara now in the RAF Museum as it looked when first captured. Jose's airplane is one of the airplanes flown by Captain Vila and Lieutenant Giménez as navigator.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Other than knowing what a Pucara is and being able to identify it when I saw it, everything else I knew about the Pucara before starting this kit could be written on the pointed tip of a pin with a dull Sharpie, with space left over. So I have done some research on the net - it turns out there is quite a bit, including an Argentinian site with lots of photos.

So here are some photos of the airplanes that give an idea of how they are painted. The "silver" airplanes are in anodized unpainted aluminum, which was the original delivery scheme. The close up photos are of A-549, one of the "field painted" airplanes from the 1982 conflict.

Also note that the Pucara turns out to be one of the few turboprop airplanes in which the blades do not turn 90 degrees from the operating plane when the engine is shut down. I found this surprising, and am glad to know before I decided to proceed with modifying the props on my model.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And finally, what does the Pucara carry for ordnance? The kit doesn't include any, though it does include TERs for the outer pylons. Here are some photos of Pucaras with ordnance loaded. Fortunately, I have the A and B Hasegawa Weapons Sets, so I think I'll give it a centerline load of 6 Mk. 82s and outer wing loads of Zuni pods, like the last shot.

Also, here is a diagram of the possible load-outs for the Pucara.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here are some shots of the cockpit and particularly the seat. It turns out nobody makes a resin seat of this rare MB Mk. 6 series seat, so the kit one is what you have. It'll look OK with the canopy closed and the airplane looks better in that configuration anyway.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great project Tom and as always your research and historical knowledge is always well received! Watching with interest and look forward to seeing the cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice research, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Really nice work done, Tom.
    Appreciate the pictures you shared.
    Must have been a true workhorse for them during that period.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Tom. This is one of my favourite attack aircraft! I am definitely looking forward to the final reveal. Great to see Kinetic releasing the Pucara in 1/48. Thank you for the great photos. It is definitely on my list of kits to buy in 2021. I remember a Pucara scored an aerial kill against a Gazelle helicopter during the Falklands conflict.