Kinetic 1/48 IA-58 Pucara

Started by Tom Cleaver · 41 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I think you should start that new group immediately, so I can put this in it first. šŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Tom - does your Argentine friend have references for mainland Pucara pant jobs? While Iā€™m waiting for my kit arrive I may as well spend the time figuring out a sane approach to the color scheme.

Maybe a general Pucara build would be better for some of us may not do Falkland camo.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey Tom. I created the Falklands War Group Build. I could only invite my "friends" and we haven't done one of those "friend request" things yet. I am not much good at social media procedures generally. Anyway, I hope you join in and contribute your Pucara.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - I'm going to publish a table I was sent listing each airplane used in the Falklands, with the colors they were painted. That should help.

• Profile Photo

For those who want paint information for their model, here are the relevant pages from the Pucara book. The airplanes are listed by serial number, where they were painted, and best estimates of the colors used. There is also a page of notes for modelers about the paint used. The airplanes listed with a lower color of "anodized" are the airplanes painted in the Falklands/Malvinas, while the others are the ones with a more standard paint job done on the mainland before they flew to the islands.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Wow, what a nice color info, @tcinla!
    I love this "field" (hastilly?) painted camo!

• Profile Photo

Landing gear attached

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very nice progress, Tom.
    That landing gear looks sufficient sturdy to carry her.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Tom your 'anodized' finish looks very convincing indeed. Your build has sealed the deal on me getting this kit in 2021.

• Profile Photo

The model in its anodized finish, on its feet, with decals done. Now to overpaint the camo. I am using Tamiya XF-78 "Wooden Deck Tan" for the tan color and XF-21 "sky" lightened with White to get the shade of green used.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Painted.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.