Kitty Hawk 1/48 Super Etendard

Started by Andrew Frill · 7 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew Frill said 6 years, 3 months ago:

All,
    Here is the Kitty hawk 1/48 Super E Modernise. Being built completely OOB with the kit decals and a few from the spares box for the weapons. Finish with Mr. Color called out in the instructions. I think the color call outs are not correct but, i want it done lol. I also drilled out the rear of the GBU's and Magic missile. The kit seat was used witht e PE harness as well.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Another update to the Super E. Getting the fuselage together is a task. I found it best to attach all 3 pieces together for each side as the rear engine part to not fit good at all. Added the wings and got it ready for paint.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finally in the paint stage. Mr. Color C305 and 337 with a little flat base smooth added. I still think the 337 is not gray enough. Anyways on to the pics

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Decal time! after some fading and shading with some white added to the base colors and a few other grays and blacks panels were picked out and faded a bit more. I masked and painted the red intake stripe as the decal was not cooperating and found it easier.

Kitty Hawks decals were used. I found that a nice coat of Mr. color super clear gloss achieved a glossy enough surface. After the decals were applied, I went around and poked holes in the flat decal film as the decal is flat as well as the carrier film. As I did not want any silvering. I then went over the decals with more Mr. Color Super Gloss to seal them in. This worked as I got zero silvering with the kit decals, even on the red warning areas on the flaps.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

While the decals and wash dried, I turned my attention to the weapons. I am using the Democlies pod as the other laser pod did not have the correct pylon and looked funny with out it. I drilled out the rear of the LGB's and Magic missile. I did up a drop tank and started on the pylons, gear doors and other fiddly bits.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Looking excellent! Love the two-tone top scheme on this.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 3 months ago:

Great work! Looking fantastic in this color scheme. I like the detailing on the weapons as well.