Meng Fokker Dr.I 1/32

Started by Michael Turner · 35 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Fokker Dr.I, Meng
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years ago:

@michaelt - should you decide to do 425/17, the airplane should be painted in the streaky camo, with the red painted over it in a thin coat through which you can see the shadows of the underlying camouflage. The Germans were shorthanded on red paint by then. it also gives the "blood red" that the witnesses and the surviving bits of fabric show.

Here's my review of doing the Roden kit. It should be helpful to you.

100 years ago today – April 21, 1918
    And the full-build review at Modeling Madness: https://modelingmadness.com/review/w1/tc/tmc32dr1.htm Hope they help.
  • Profile Photo

@jaltergott6 - the D.VII is pretty easy - IF you follow the instructions. Be absolutely certain to clean off all sprue nubs from parts, don't paint surfaces that will be glued. Fit is very precise. You don't have to worry about rigging.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 3 years ago:

Thanks, Tom (@tcinla), but no.

I agree with your conclusions, but I'm not doing his plane, but his younger brother's (ok, the cat is out of the bag).

I intend to paint the factory scheme and then paint the yellow tail in a similar manner to your red (no yellow wing, though).

I'm trying to decide on an 'turquois blue' colour - was it a bright(ish) blue, greenish blue or a dullish light blue like the RLM 65 you used?

It is interesting that you painted the undercarriage wing a solid green - it is hard to tell from photos, but I where you can see this surface it generally looks to be similar to the wings in general tone.

Thanks for the info, anyway.

• Profile Photo

@michaelt - the "turquoise blue" was probably RLM65 Hellblau (which is a "turquoise blue"). Most of the German WW2 colors were carry-overs from WW1. The "olive green" that was used for the camouflage was likely what became RLM71. RLM02 has been a German army color since the 18th century. That's likely the color of the fuselage framework.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

G'day all,
    I'm moving this blog to the Imperial German Air Service/Luftwaffe Group Build May 1st 1910 to Present Day group build:

https://imodeler.com/groups/imperial-german-air-service-luftwaffe-group-build-may-1st-1910-to-present-day/forum/topic/meng-fokker-dr-1/