Messerschmitt Bf 109E-1, 1/48, Legion Condor, Spain FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 85 · 3 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Bf109E-1, Eduard, Emil, halfworks, Legion Condor, Messerschmitt, quarterscale
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Erik @airbum the Emil is looking sharp. This kit is only (bf.109 E) is the only luftwaffe subject from Eduard that I never built or have in the stash. I chose the Airfix and Tamyia in the past, and right now I’m looking forward to see what Modeslvit brings us with their upcoming Emil.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Paint and decals look great, Erik (@airbum). This paint scheme looks really cool, and is a lot different than you usually see.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Business end

As mentioned in the 109 werke topic I’ll be polishing the propeller!

That will have to wait, as I had a go at using a chrome pen to “paint” the propeller, but the result on the propeller for this one was really not useable – the testpropeller went OK, but this one fought me.

Now, I did paint the spinner and stuff

That went well

I discovered that the shaft is way off center, and did some cutting to place it closer to the center.

It would have been great to have had some sort of dummy-engine that could cope with the cowl closed and ease the locating of the prop-shaft.

Now I will be waiting for an opportunity to get some liquid chrome in the airbrush, and get that propeller polished!

Thank you for the comments @fiveten, @holzhamer, @gblair. Does anyone know of a paint that will do just as great a job at the chrome-look, please let me know

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Sorry I cannot think of anything, my friend @airbum.
    Hope the airbrushing willbturn out well!
    Nice small progress here!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 7 months ago:

wonderful build - just FYI I would have voted for Spanish bird! I love the Spanish Civil War aircraft and schemes - have a goal to build several of them.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents.

@fiveten, the pages of Molotow mentions the possibility of airbrushing, but I just tried to use the pen one more time - it has to dry before I see the result and decide if it has to be re-done.

@gkittinger, I have a few of the Legion Condor 109's planned. I do not think there is any way not to build the early Mölders' 109 🙂 - that will be for another day.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I hate it when the kit seems to be fighting back, Erik (@airbum). I'm sure you will get it all sorted. I have seen a Molotow pen with a wide tip used on a prop to good effect.

• Profile Photo
    Jeremy Millan said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I'm liking the colors and markings on this one Erik. It also looks even better with the matte coat on.

• Profile Photo

George, not that much of a fight, just hiccups 🙂
    Thank you Jeremy

Another update coming up in a minute!
    (@gblair), (@jmillan)

• Profile Photo

Polished blades – and exhausts

The propeller gets a polished look, and exhausts finally in place!

The propeller had one round of Molotow that I did not like. I have been wanting to order some for the airbrush, but really wanted to get this one done, and gave it a second try with a pen.

The exhausts had been painted with some polishable paint, and was removed from the sprue.

One side done!

And with the right side exhausts ready, I wanted to take a brake, and get some pictures posted. Here you have it in its present unfinished glory:

I am not at all happy with the rudder, and it will be stripped and re-painted – perhaps making a decal for the black (No, I am not going to show you the left side – that did not go well at all!)

A row of exhausts, some minor details and a repaint of the rudder – getting there!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

The shiny prop is a piece of art, Erik (@airbum). Well done!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Those nasty runners we all hate!
    But your Emil looks great, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you George (@gblair). I have ordered a Molotow re-fill, but it is on backorder. Can’t wait to try that in the airbrush!
    Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), the rudder got re-painted and a decal used instead – works a lot better on that rough rudder surface.

And it is official!

I hereby declare this build finished

I am a bit embarrased that it took 2 months and 2 weeks to get the last bits done, but here it is in all its glory

I had been waiting for some Hamilton decals to arrive as the VDM propellers are licenced Hamilton propellers, and the early ones had the logos on them. Not too soon after the logos were changed, and the triangular logo of VDM started to appear.

A massive thank you to all the positive vibes and comments during this build. I suppose this also means the French Emil is one tiny step closer to begin its journey – there was a sale the other day, and I added a few more Tamiya 109E’s to the stash, just to be sure I do not run out of raw material (I like the Tamiya a lot more than the Eduard kits! and yes, I have ordered the Fine Molds re-packed Tamiya with Japanese marks)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

It looks fantastic, Erik @airbum
    That shiny propeller is superb.
    It is almost distracting you from looking to rest of this beautiful build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Absolutely amazing, my friend @airbum!
    I loved following your thread, 109 man!