Messerschmitt Bf 109 F-4, Spanish AF, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 2 years ago · 1/48, airbum, Bf109, Friedrich, halfworks, Messerschmitt, Morón, quarterscale, Spain, Spanish AF, WWII
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Mmmmmm, Xtracolor enamel!
    A joy to apply (?), my friend @airbum...
    Looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Xtracolour, excellent enamels, hard to get now in the U.S. Only one shop carries and it takes forever to get it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Gents, thank you for the comments. Xtracolor has indeed become my preferred paint, but with the no-deal looming it may become difficult to get next year.

• Profile Photo

Spiros (@fiveten) and Chuck (@uscusn), the Xtracolor brown is de-masked;

And now without masks

- well, without most of them anyway

I still have some details to paint on the engine, but they will keep till last I think.

The brown are more or less kept to the central area on this one. But I think it looks good with this mix of colors. Some touchups are needed before gloss clear and decals.

next up – I do not know. Stay tuned

• Profile Photo

Mmmmmm, what a lovely camo, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That's a great looking scheme, Erik.
    It suites the 109 very well.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, looking good mate. The paint finish is perfect for decals and washes

• Profile Photo

Just did a touchup on the RLM63 tonight, and will check if it might be sufficiently dry for either decals or details - or both - tomorrow. Even though the finish is OK, I think I may have to give it a once-over of clear to even out the small ridges from the tape between the colors. Stay tuned Gentlemen.

(@fiveten, @johnb, @holzhamer)

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That is indeed a good looking scheme as John commented. I like that RLM64 brown with the two greens.

• Profile Photo

Waiting for your decals, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Me too!

• Profile Photo

No decals just yet

Sorry to disappoint you, but I decided a quick round of gloss clear was needed

Even though this is one of my better paintjobs in term of thickness (thinness?) and minimal edges from the tape, I decided to give it a layer just to avoid too obvious edges under the decals.

The cowlings got a shot too.

I think it is possible to see that the edges along the fuselage has been smoothened a bit

And with that it is off to dry properly before decals are added.

next up it WILL be decal time – stay tuned

• Profile Photo

Better safe than sorry, my friend @airbum!
    Looks smoother now for sure!

• Profile Photo

An update with the decals added coming right up. Spiros (@fiveten) and Eric (@eb801)

• Profile Photo

Decals on

It is only the serial and cocardes that has been added as of now

The sheet does not include stencils, and the ones in the kit are not at all great. On top of that I have not found any pictures where I can see what stencils – if any – were added to this plane.

However it is most likely that the liquids are marked, and a few decal-sheets from the spares-box will provide what I may need.

The SBSmodel Decals are generally nice to work with but just like the new eduard ones they stay put when they are added!

The parts with one layer of color printed falls into the various holes easily, the ones with two layers need just a gentle pursuation with the cocktailstick.

That is it for now.

next up some stencils have been added, and hopefully a matt clear coat added