Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 ”14” of Hans Joachim Marseille, eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 45 · 4 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

Now, one for the miss in my life.. - she was born on August 24th, and fond of Hans-Joachim Marseille, so what better plane to build than the one he started flying on that date? (OK - there are quite a bit of years between, but anyway)

The plane is a Bf109 F-4 with Werk Nummer 8673, and it was the last "friedrich" that wore his number "14".

As the building of 109’s never seem to end here, some assemblyline function is present, and the exhaust for this one was painted as a test of a – for me – new way of painting these – as a teaser, here you have the back of it.

Ok – you want the front side as well – here it is! Albeit covered in Tamiya tape to keep it from being worn.

That’s all for a start – more to follow!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Sign me up ! I'll be watching this one for sure ... 🙂 I have a few of "Willy's" planes on the work bench at the moment too. One can never have too many.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

Me, too. The 109 was an eye-catching plane with a ton of different paint schemes. I also have a bunch, but most of mine are sitting in my garage waiting for motivation.

• Profile Photo

And on to the instruments

As has become tradition, the dials received clear gloss for glazing, all very easy to apply. The large hole needs bulged glass, to be applied by micro clear glue

When glueing the panels together great care is needed as the glass is very thin, and reacts to most things, making them look terrible, even the smallest blob of white glue can ruin your day. (or at least the dials)

The blob of white/micro clear went wrong (too large blob) and was removed later on.

• Profile Photo

The cockpit

Yet again, a fairly straightforward office from Eduard. Some extras has been added like the chainbox that Eduard strangely does not include in plastic. Anyway, lots of extras from my ever increasing stack of 109 leftovers are utilized here, like the photoetch instruments shown earlier.

The right hand sidewall only gets some painted details, the red dots being painted by cocktalistick!

The photoetch includes the ever dreaded small red handle.

Now, my hands are fat, but anyway, just look at the size of my finger – eeeh - the handle..

Sadly I missed some photoopportunities, so next up, the assembled fuselage..

Stay tuned – comments welcome

• Profile Photo

Fuselage closed

The fuselage went together nicely, a few places needing mending. Wings likewise.

One issue I find with the eduard kit is the fit of the gunfairing in the nose.

I spent some time fiddeling with the fit of the parts, ending up with a more flush look. Of course that also removes the nicely molded rivets, but you cant have it all y’now!

Next up will be navigation lights and coolers..
    (having great fun with BBCode
    check the page on BBCode here on iModeler)

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Navigation lights

The first drill (..) was to dig out the wingtips to make space for the glass and bulbs.

Then the new glass was added. A bit rough, but at least there is a bulb inside!

And now some lovely filing.. (sorry – could not resist)

Finally a bit of polish, and we are ready to shine!

coolers will have to wait until next time

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Well, I guess you can never get tired of building 109s or seeing them being built 🙂 nice start, I’ll be following along if you don’t mind

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

And me. I’m all in for this build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Sign me up too...no wait a minute, I already did that. 🙂

I especially like what you did with the clear wingtip lights. Well done !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Keep cool!

The coolers were modified to depict them open as this is a plane that operated in a hot climate.

The moveable part were cut from the extra oilcooler that is on the Eduard trees.

And a copperwire added at the front opening to make the support rod that are there.

Dryfitting to check. Next the watercoolers in the wings were up for some TLC.

This rod is actually an actuator that opens the front part of the water cooler.

More dryfitting to check accuracy of the work and proper alignment

Now we are more or less up to speed on this one, and the next installment may be some time away, as it is now in line among other Bf’s – feel free to comment

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

just like the other 109 builds - looking great! Following merrily along...

• Profile Photo

Welcome to the show, @gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Outstanding ! These are great updates on the builds.

• Profile Photo

Last rounds before closing

And with the fuselage / wing assembled it is nearly time to close the cockpit before painting. Just e few peeks of the result before adding windscreen etc.

With the stick just a tiny bit off-center the ailerons needs to be placed correctly.

The modifications to make the tail stronger are suppled as etch parts

Unfortunately I did not get pictures of the windscreen and rear cockpitcover before masking and painting, så the end result will have to wait till the painting is complete.
    That’s it for now – next time painting will commence – feel free to comment