Messerschmitt Bf109 F-4 V-12, Royal Hungarian Air Force, eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 30 · 4 years ago · 1/48, Bf109, Eduard, hungary
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Headed for the paintshop

Well – just a small peek at the guns first

The kit-items are quite nice, and as they are barely visible, they will do for this build.

And into the paintshop for some white primer to the areas that need to be painted yellow.

(Humbrol Gloss white)

The assembly line with a mix of deliveries being prepared

Not quite ironworks, but close..

Bf 109 G-6 Swiss, Bf 109 F-4 Hungary, Bf 109 G-5 (that one has been posted in headlines section as it commenced long before I started posting work in progress)

next up more painting – comments welcome

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Wow, Erik. You really have a bunch of 109s. Looking forward to the rest of the painting process.

• Profile Photo

As far as I recall 7or 8 in the works.. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Looking good, Erik. Really looking forward to the paint and decals.

• Profile Photo

Painting, masking, painting etc..

And so the painting/masking fun is in full swing

Masked for RLM 74

RLM 75 has been painted, but alas – a bit thin, and had to be re-visited.

With the RLM 74 on -

Masks came off

RLM 74 OK, but the 75..

Now, there had to be some areas that would have RLM 75 where the balkenkreuz had been, and these were added along with touch up of the fuselage.

And now some more masking – the RLM 75 needs touch-up, and the white on the tail will have to be re-visited in preparation for the national colours.

as always, comments are welcome

• Profile Photo

Hungarian paint schemes are cool. Looking forward to this one.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

more painting and masking etc..

Having touched up the RLM 75, national colours are painted on

Now, there are decals with the kit, making it easy to finish. Of course I choose the longer road..

The fuselage was masked first for a touch-up of the white – also preventing the red and green from seeping under the tape.

And that concludes the national colours on the tail!

Masks can come off the plane to take a look at the progress so far;

And now I have to mask again to touch-up the yellow parts – I am actually having fun with the spraybooth, no less than 5 different 109’s being in line yesterday, to be painted 7 different colors.

Not entirely sure if more posts on this one will come along before the model is finished – as always, comments are welcome (let me know if the posts are too many with the 109aholicism going over the edge)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I love the colors on this plane! Really a pleasant change from the normal luftwaffe colors. The finish work and decals will also add a lot of variety to the paint also.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

End of year update

With decals added it gets closer to being done

Just a pair of pictures to let you see the progress

Now, having had time for decals and a few brush-strokes, I think we are getting close to the finish-line on this one. Sorry that there were none of the 109’s finished here at the end of 2019, but time has been against modeling in 2019. I hope that 2020 will free up a bit more time for the workbench and spraybooth.

Happy new year to you all!

I think one more post will come on this build – hopefully with the finished plane before going to the headlines-section

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This one's a real beauty also! Finally catching up with the 109-mania!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Another 109 gets some sun!

With the unusual weather (+7c and no clouds – we usually have snow by now) this one also managed to get an airing

And so, a few snaps to show that some progress has been made on this one too;

A few doors and hatches and the antenna – oh yes some seatbelts (now, why did I not install them before assembling the fuselage?) and then it is ready for the headlines. I have not yet decided if it needs a second coat and some superfine sanding.

Thank you for the kind words @gkittinger – but I fear the mania may continue – there are loads of unbuilt 109’s lurking in the background. . . .

With the winter absent it is almost time for gardening! – hope to get a few more hours before that!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Last details

Just discovered the sun is out, and so the clock gets ticking to get this one out for the last shots

Clearly, with rush comes accidents, and the tailwheel snapped off – again. Time for a drill!

Inserted a piece of a chromed needle – only it was a tiny bit too thin I think. (Will have to invent that guard I wrote about in another post)

The antenna needs a porcelain insulator where the antenna goes through the fuselage, and some white tube was stretched and cut off.

With that in place it is out for a place in the sun!

And thus this one is finished – will be off to the headlines. (I did think of the “Aviation – Propeller Era", but that one states “up to World War II era”)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

This is one very fine "one oh nine" ! I'm a poet, but didn't know it. But I must be, because my feet are Long fellows...

It really looks great out in the sun, and even better in the headlines section. Your "Iron Werks" production style would make any avid 109 fan happy. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your builds as they progress.

This is a great update. Thank you for taking the time to do this for us. When the time comes and I start up another batch of 109's, I might ask you a few technical questions about the type. You are very knowledgeable on the subject.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Another awesome 109, Erik. I think the paint scheme on this one is particularly attractive. No winter there, either? In central Texas it hasn't been cold enough to wear a coat yet.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 2 months ago:

@lgardner thank you for the poetic input - appreciated! I actually call my assembly line "half works" - I live near a village called Hald, and that can be pronounced more or less as "Halv" wich is the same as Half. The works comes from werke, and to my ears that makes a nice little play with words - (in danish, "HaldVærk" is used but pronounced as Halvværk) Hope you might accept this leaning on your "Iron Werks" 🙂

@gblair - thank you, indeed it is a nice paint scheme. There are loads of different markings and paint schemes for 109's, so I think there might be a few more being started up - has to reach the 109 mark. . . (and eduard just launched yet another one - a Erla 109 G-10 that has a different fairing on the left side. . )