Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

George - those handles are really small - but really looks great if you are able to install them without a chaos of glue. As I wrote, place this particular one in the panel, AFTER putting some cyano there, and when dry it can be filed flat on the backside to make a perfect flat surface for next assembly.

• Profile Photo

Testfitting the fuselage and making some holes!

The panel on these eduard 109’s need to be glued to the left hand fuselage, and so some test-fitting and a bit of glueing has taken place

Seems OK

Having learned something from another eduard 109 build, This time around I tried just to scrape the vents with a needle in a knifehandle

Now that went well – some cleanup needed and we are ready for the next step

I still do not know whats up next – stay tuned, and as usual comments etc welcome

• Profile Photo

Fuselage assembly commences

With the instrumentpanel set, it was time to get on with the interior. The “tub” was detail-painted. I tried a acrylic colourpen for the red, pushing some out and using a cocktailstick to pant details. The yellows were testors acrylic “RLM04”, and for the black, Tamiya X-18 semi gloss.

Some cleaning up needed. Seatbelts are eduard photoetch items that came with the profipak.

The easy way to stay out of trouble with the exhaust during painting seems to be adding a resin well, and then leave the exhausts off until the very end. It adds to the cost, but I had some laying around anyway.

I think some assembly of major parts are up next – stay tuned, and as usual comments etc welcome

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Erik, a word of caution, make sure to put a good portion of super glue on the fixation points of the IP. On my fourth 109 F/G from Eduard, the IP fell after all was closed, despite the fact I had use some generous amount of Revell contacta glue. It’s a pain to get it back in its place under that situation, trust me. Your approach to the exhaust stack is the correct way, it will allow them to be installed at the very end of the build. This is the worst detail of these kits, even more so considering how well thought and engineered the kit is. Funny thing that their first 109 G (the badly measured one) had the exhaust made to be assembled exactly like you are doing now

• Profile Photo

Thanx Pedro. I has the wall in the radiocompartment loose during assembly - happily before closing the fuselage! I use Zap-a-Gap CA for resin, and even though they claim to work on oily surfaces they need flat surfaces to bond properly. I will consider some extra something to ensure they stay put.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Really enjoying the thread, Erik. Appreciate you taking the time to share all this work.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Looking excellent!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Thank you folks - I do enjoy posting and getting feedback and info from you all!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 5 months ago:

What – 4 months since last update

Now, isn’t it amazing how time flies. . – just a small update this time as the dark evenings warrants more indoor activity

NOTHING has happened on this build for those months – but today I carefully opened the storage box, as the pile of 109’s are a bit grumpy. . .

First off, I think you should see one more picture of the glass!

I like the way the dials reflects the light!

Last time I wrote it needed filler – so filler it is

While work on the wing recommenced I took the opportunity to installe some AM resin wheelwells. While the “tunnel” is great, it is really not worth it to buy the full well. It needs work anyway, and the detail is not that noticeable compared to the plastic ones.

That was how far I got this time – need to carefully open some of the other grumpy 109’s – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great to see you back, Erik. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Likewise here ... No one cares for some grumpy 109's ! We don't need that now do we ? I have some kits sitting back in the corner that are extremely grumpy too.

That glass looks amazing ! Very realistic for sure.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Huge mistake!

Well – if you do not think, you may get in trouble!

Having assembled a few of these, one should think that the sequence is well rehearsed. But no, I decided to glue the lower wing in place first as I have had a few of the upper skins creating a gap during assembly, and I thought that I could avoid that by installing the lower, then fit the upper before glueing that in. .

When it was dry, I realized that it is near impossible to slide the upper wing in place. There simply is not room for the holes for the undercarriage!

Lots of fiddeling later I got them in (and just to brag, the wingroot fit like a glove).

However the leading edge is another matter! So lesson learned; DO NOT do this again.
    And so, the kit got back in the box to dry properly before pressing on with more fun on this one.

Next up I think some details will be added – it is after all started as a highdetail build with some AM items

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Erik, we all learn “new” lessons with every new kit we build, even those that are familiar from past builds, like your own 109. Don’t be put off and keep it going. Eduard 109 is the best plastic out there if you want have a Messerschmitt collection, only Tamiya kit rivals it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a shake ‘n bake. Happy New Year!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for the info, Erik, and the reminder that sometimes we get too comfortable in what we are doing and re-learn lessons we learned a long time ago but forgot. I still remember building an older, fairly simple kit I had built before and decided I didn't need to use the instructions. I ended up gluing two wing tops together, which is tough to do on a modern kit but was pretty easy on this 60s era kit I was building. As you may guess this is darn near catastrophic. By comparison, yours is infinitely better.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

@holzhamer - indeed - the fun is the learning I think - and the sharing here on iModeler is great.

@gblair - yes, I do remember your post on that, but I am always willing to repeat other peoples mistakes 🙂

More glue in a few minutes folks!