Messerschmitt Bf109G-4 ”Don Pedro”, Eduard 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 142 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Bf109, Bf109G4, Eduard, Romania
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik, been more than 1 year since I last visited this WIP. That’s a sweet build my friend. Regarding the free hand mottling I must say the left side looks more realistic than the right side, that’s a personal opinion obviously 😉
    What caused the orange peel of the paint? Some light buffing might be enough to get the paint surface smooth again

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice that you revisited "Don Pedro" again, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Nice work, Erik (@airbum). I have never tried mottling, but I will need to break the ice sometime. I also always add the landing gear before I paint. It is something I have always done and have never had a problem breaking the gear off. The paint looks a little grainy in the photo, which could just be from the magnification in the photo. You might try Solvaset from Walthers for decals that won't settle in. Solvaset is a very strong setting fluid. Try it on a spare decal first. Most decals are fine with it, but I have had one or two dissolve. :o) Glad to see you are working on this one again.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Wow, Erik @airbum, a year gone by already?. “Pedro” continues to age beautifully bit by bit, year by year, I must say. I hope we see the next installment within the next 6 months if not sooner. What about next week?

I also noticed the grainy paint. I have had decent results toning the grain down by “sanding” the paint with a paper towel or Kim Wipe. However, if you already put a clear coat over it, that may not work.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Thank you all for comments on this build.
    @johnb, the decals did get a few more layers of Micro Sol, and that did them good together with running a cocktailstick along panel lines.
    @holzhamer, I agree on the mottling – this was one of my first mottles, and might have benefitted from a re-mottle. The orange peel was caused by too thick paint at wrong pressure and distance I think. My impatience really, so thinner paint and more layers will most likely help a lot.
    @fiveten, actually feels good to be back with this one.
    @gblair, the Micro Sol repeated did nice work, though a cocktailstick was needed in places. I may see if I can get solvaset in a LHS near me (read within the EU).
    @eb801, managed a small update within the same week – new record? I will add a few layers of gloss when decaling is finished, and have bought a few micro pads (1500 and 3000) to polish the surfaces, and will make sure to let the layers dry before sanding/polishing.

Stencils

Having a huge supply of Eduard stencils helps

sadly some of the more “popular” stencils have been used on other builds.

I managed to find the correct fuel-triangle on a 109F sheet, the rest from various 109G sheets.

It is now near where I want on stencils, just a few remaining to be added.

and then back into the box for a week or two (needs to fit my work-schedule)

I now have to work 12 days, perhaps an evening or two can be found for modeling, but the paintshop will wait till I get a full day off again. Tune in again in a few weeks time!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Stencils look great, my friend airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great progress on the stencils, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@airbum
    Erik, I echo Spiros and John - nice stencil work. Btw, that G-4 really is looking sweet, can’t wait to see the finished model

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

The decals and stencils look great, Erik (@airbum). It really sucks that you have to fit your modeling into your work schedule. I remember those days...it is nice to be retired, but I still have to work around my wife's "to-do" list. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Those Romanian markings look terrific, Erik @airbum. Don’t forget “to whistle while you work”. Hi ho, hi ho.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Erik @airbum
    These stencils are like icing on the cake. Your 109's are always wonderful, and it's good to see one in Hungarian markings.

I hate it when work interferes with our hobby. I can remember many years, when I had little to no time at all left after working all day (and sometimes all night too) for for building anything. But working did allow me to build up my stash considerably. Now I'm retired and I'm steadily chipping away at the hoard of plastic model boxes.

It's funny how this works... work and you have no time, but money to spend. Retire and you now have time, but no money left over to spend on "extras". Keep this in mind while you are away from the bench. 😉

I'll be looking forward to your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen. Another small update for you @fiveten, @johnb, @holzhamer, @gblair, @eb801 and @lgardner.

wheels!

I decided to tackle a pair of resin wheels for this one

I actually had them reserved for this build, and went ahead and started sawing the resin

Having sawn along the block, there is still a lot to be removed.

I went ahead with a knife and a sprue-cutter to remove the material

Now, that is more like it. I use tape to clean the knife and table – works very well, and no resin gets to become dust.

as mentioned elsewhere, I also “chromed” a lot of legs, this G-4 being one of them.

Lots of masking to get 7 sets of legs painted, but better use of the expensive drops of chrome!

Could it be that masks are coming off? – some more clear first though, but definitely getting there.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Nice wheels, my friend @airbum!
    Looking forward to the legs chrome-ing!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Wheels came out really well, Erik (@airbum). The resin inserts really make a big difference.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Very nice wheels, Erik @airbum
    Simple but practicle trick with the tape, good idea.