Midway 80th anniversary duo - 1:72 ArmaHobby F4F-4 Wildcat & Flyhawk SBD-3 Dauntless

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 84 · 1 year ago · armahobby, Dauntless, flyhawk, Midway, Wildcat
  • Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 2 years ago:

Thank you, Rick!

I am working on a figure as a birthday present to my good friend so the progress on my Midway builds has slowed a bit.

Nevertheless I managed to finish the cockpit. And how tiny it is - 12mm from instrument panel to back wall. I have an expert set version of the kit but I decided not to use the main instrument cluster PE part as I haven't seen I'd gain anything of it. So I used unmodified IP slightly drybrushed and used supplied instrument decals which fit beautifully and instrument glass created with UV resin.

I am also aware that maybe bronze green would be a better choice but since most of the cockpit will disappear in the dark depths of closed cockpit, I just used interior green instead.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

What an amazing job on that tiny cockpit, my friend @inflames!
    Interior green looks great, and might be the "correct" shade as well.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

The instrumentation looks indeed amazing, Sebastijan @inflames
    Very detailed.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 2 years ago:

Thank you, Spiros and John.
    While I just finished a figure build or better said painting, I now continue with the Midway build.

Rear end of the engine mount with oil tank and filters

Engine mount and really nicely detailed firewall with all the chains and sprockets.

A busy front end of the Wildcat full of support struts and rods... and not to mention an entire landing gear assembly is still missing in the photo.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Superb progress, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years ago:

Fantastic work, on what look to be fantastic kits! I may have to try a flyhawk kit soon...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Solid progress, Sebastijan @inflames
    Very nice details indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Thanks guys!

I've made some good progress on the Wildcat and here she is in its current state. I've also invested a couple of hours into riveting the whole model which I think will immensely improve the overall looks later in the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Coming together nicely and the riveting adds a lot, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Great progress, Sebastijan @inflames
    The riveting looks impressive.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 12 months ago:

Thank you, guys!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Long days at work and long daylight cut my modelling time considerably - so I missed the Midway anniversary dates... however, I have I think I am doing a good progress anyway and should have these two done during the summer months nevertheless.

Wildcat

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

This is really great paintwork, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Both models are looking great. That SBD really does look like the designer took a long look at the Accurate Miniatures kits. I have the Arma Wildcat - awaiting the arrival of Squadron vac canopies (Yes! Squadron vac canopies are back at Squadron!)

It's too late to make this correct, and I'm not putting it here as a criticism of the work, which is very nice on this kit, but for those who might be inspired by your good work to get the kit themselves.

The wheel well and engine interior is easier than Sebastijan has done - it's all light grey inside the wheel well and engine cowling (It was actually called "Grumman grey," lighter than the light grey lower camo). Given the time the Wildcat came out, it would seem counterintuitive, but that's the case. Add it in to the Group Knowledge on the Wildcat.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to them, my friend @inflames!