MiniArt 1/48 Republic P-47D-30RE

Started by Tom Cleaver · 23 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Since two negative reviews of the MiniArt P-47D series have suddenly popped up from a pair of Muddling Gnus masquerading as something other than the ten-thumbed muddlers they are,I'm going to do a WIP on this kit to demonstrate that with "some modeling skill required" it is entirely possible to build this kit without resorting to half a tube of filler - without any filler at all! - to get what is the best P-47D kit in any scale turned into a great model. As one commenter said in response to these "reviews," "There are ten people who say this kit is great and confirm it with photos, but one or two negative reviews get noticed like they come from the burning bush."

I will be doing this as 362nd Fighter Group CO Colonel Joe Laughlin's P-47D-40 "Five by Five," the last of several P-47Ds he flew with that name, using the IPMS 1998 Nationals decals for the 362nd FG honoring "Dad" Rarey's nose artistry.

For starters, I paint the detail parts before proceeding with assembly. I used Mr. Color #352 "Chromate Yellow for the wheel wells and cowling interior, and Mr,. Color #120 RLM80 for the cockpit interior.

I will be using the Eduard Look instrument panel, and a resin seat I was going to use on another P-47 model.

I am going to do the NMF scheme using Mr. Color Super Metallic #208 "Super Duralumin" for the base coat, with different shades of aluminum created using this paint and Mr. Color black and grey colors. This is an experiment to see how this compares with Vallejo metallizer paints. So far, I have used it on the gear doors, and it looks very realistic to my eye.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Another awesome entry, my friend @tcinla! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 1 week ago:

Great entry, Tom @tcinla
    I'm sure you will get an amazing Thunderbolt out of this kit with your skills.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months ago:

Got some work in the past few days.

Here are photos of the construction area that has all the Muddle Gnus confused, saying the difficulty here makes the model "a putty monster" as one put it.

What is needed with this model is to remember that you are dealing with a "high end limited-run" kit. So be sure to clean things up, get rid of flash, be sure mating surfaces are clear. The basics of modeling.

To here we have shots of the cockpit - I used a resin seat I already had and Eduard Look instrument panel and photo etch seat belts.

Following that is the engine. Rather than assemble it separately and then attach it, I attach the first part and build out from that, which makes sure I am getting the parts in the right alignment. Then the cowling panels (sand the mating edges so they are straight and flat), You start with the bottom, then each side, then the top. Rubber band it to get all together, then attach the cowling flaps (you have the choice of open or closed, I always choose open.

I began painting it today, I'll have photos tomorrow. I am now a huge fan of Mr Color metalics and the Tamiya lacquer-base metallitcs. They cure rapidly and are hard, and they "look like metal."

Here are the shots. Notice there is no putty. Take care in assembly and you have what you want.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Some superb progress, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo

Here is the model with the basic coat of Mr Color Super Metallic "Super Duralumin."

THIS PAINT IS FANTASTIC! I am a convert!

It's a lacquer-base enamel like the other Mr Color paints, and it dries to the touch in about 20 minutes and is cured to where it can be masked on (I never use anything stickier than Tamiya Tape) in a couple hours. The paint gives a hard surface that other metallics don't. It won't eat your model like some Alclad paint will. Thin it about 60-40 paint/Mr Colo Leveling Thinner, and you can tighten down the airbrush to the point you can apply other colors without masking and not "paint outside the lines".

Look at the reflectivity. That's like actual Duralumin.

More pix soon of the final 'multi-hue" paint using Super Metallic "super fine aluminum" and Tamiya lacquer "Gloss Aluminum".

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And here is the final result of painting. Panels done in Super-Matallics "Extra Fine Silver" and Tamiya lacquer "Gloss Aluminum" - give it 50% Leveling Thinner and shoot such a fine line I could freehand panels and not go "out of the lines."

I'm really sold on this paint.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 months ago:

Gorgeous NMF color Tom. I purchased a few of those Super Metallic colors when the range was on sale at an online vendor recently, but havent leaned too hard into running them through the paces. Looks like im missing out... also seems that I may need to get this kit too...

• Profile Photo

The way this paint "pops" the surface detail is amazing.

• Profile Photo

Here it is with decals to do Joe Laughlin's "Five by Five," circa February 1945. Yes, he did sink a German light cruiser with two 1,000-lb bombs that struck just right.. (Actually, a little research from an "original source" last night reveals there wre no larger German warships in Brest harbor. He gave the "final blow" to the unfinished and damaged French battleship Clemenceau, which sank - a good thing since the Germans were going to move it to the mouth of the harbor that night and sink it in the channel)

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Excellent nob so far and I love the NMF, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

The painting looks really perfect, Tom @tcinla
    Same is valid for the decals.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

I really like the results on the NMF, Tom (@tcinla). I need to try some of the Super Metallic.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 months ago:

Yep. Those two shots settles the quality question, no doubt about it, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 2 months ago:

Beautiful build Tom @tcinla. Bare metal still makes me nervous.

You and Louis @lgardner have talked me into it. My newly arrived P-47D-30-RE just went on the bench. With a twist.