Monogram/Revell 1/48th Bf-110G2 ”Skeletal Hand” Build

  • 49 posts
  • Last reply 6 hours, 3 minutes ago
  • 1/48, Bf-110, Luftwaffe, Monogram, Q1+VB, Revell, skeletal, skeleton
Viewing 1 - 15 of 49 posts
  • Walt B said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    I am finishing up my Swoose B-17G Build https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/b-17-the-swoose-1944-model-monogram-1-48-b-17g-build-1/ and before doing the weathering I decided to start on my next project.
    This is the Monogram/Revell Bf-110G2 ZG1 kit, with resin nose and guns. I have built the G4 version of this kit and overall it is a really decent kits. I know about the issues with the nacelle size and some fit issues, especially with the wing bottom, but still in the end, it won’t be mistaken for anything but a Bf-110.

    I started with the cockpit and I can tell you the molded in details are pretty damn impressive for a kit that was initially released in 1994. Except for seat belts the cockpit is straight out of the box, as will the rest of the build. This also explains the great deal of progress made in a relatively short period of time for me.

    The wing join on this kit is a bit unusual in that it is asymmetrical and if you build the two wing have separately and join them to the fuselage it is extremely difficult to get a clean join. I chose to glue the two bottoms together so that my wing join will be more conventional.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Great choice, @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Love those internal details, hoping to be visible, once everything is closed.
    Nice use of liquefied styrene!
    Got the same kit too (the Revell edition), so, motivation is being built-up!

  • Erik Gjørup said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Great progress on this one Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). Sign me up for the journey!

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Great, I will step in to this journey as well.
    Started to build a 110 (Eduard) as well, so will follow your build to get some inspiration.

  • Walt B said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Glad to have you aboard @johnb, I have two of the Eduard kits myself and would love to see how it goes together for you. Please feel free to post along with me here, as I would love to see how it goes together for you. I really want to build that kit also.

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    @luftwaffe-birdman, current finished parts are the pilot seat and the gauge panel.
    The provided PE is excellent.
    I noticed afterwards that the seatbelts should have gone through the center opening of the seat.
    Maybe I can still achieve that.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Walt @luftwaffe-birdman,
    The way you painted the cabling is something I really like.
    What approach did you use to get this done if I may ask?

  • George Henderson said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

    Very nice looking innards. Looking forward to the rest

  • Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Thanks for doing this, @luftwaffe-birdman. I have the kit myself, thinking about doing the Wespe nose. I’ve done this kit when it was new, and it was good. I also did one using the “corrected” resin cowlings from Cutting Edge, and I have to say when I got done with it and sat it next to the OOB models, the difference wasn’t $30 worth of resin (the price then) different. It is a good, honest kit without surprises (which you cannot say about the Eduard 1/48 110s – products of the Ultra-Fiddly Years)

  • Walt B said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    I made a little bit more progress, but it adds up to some big steps. I glued the Nacelles together as well as the tail assembly and have also glued the fuselage halves together. I will clean up all the seams before I start putting all the subassemblies together. The fit is pretty good but I have discovered my wings are pretty warped. I think careful gluing will take care of that when the time comes. This kit came with a resin nose, and I must say the fit of it is very good.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    Coming along nicely, Walt.
    The resin nose looks great!

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

    That’s some nice progress, Walt.
    The interior is very nice.

  • Walt B said 1 month ago:

    I have all the major sub assemblies put together. Back in the day a remember reading about warping in the plastic of this kit, and true to form there was plenty of it in this kit for me. The port wing had a big wave in the trailing edge….big enough wave to scare a surfer! When you placed the already assemble tail assembly on the fuselage and then the wings. Instead of being parallel they were more like an “X”. Well I put my tea kettle on and went to work. I was able to remove most of the wave in the trailing edge and with the hot water twist the fuselage and I am pretty happy with the parallelism of the tail and wing.
    The tail assembly fits well except on top, where the gap was quite large, about 0.030″ (0.076mm). I used some tape to protect the plastic and used some liquid styrene to fill the gap. I think a little sanding tomorrow and I should be good.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

    Great progress, Walt.
    You did very nice on this correction, looks perfect parallel to me.
    After some sanding that tail should look great as well.

  • Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

    Looking great @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Liquefied styrene will do the trick!

Viewing 1 - 15 of 49 posts