Re-thinking an old Hangar Queen

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 10 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Reading today thread about stash size and stuff got me thinking also about old projects I have that languish gathering dust in the shelf. One of these is Hasegawa Fw190 A-5 which is a good kit that got stuck due to my poor skills around decals. Originally started to depict Herman Graf A-5 using Lifelike decals, those darn petals and an unforseen gap around the lower engine stalled this project early last year.

Some of might have seen my homemade review of the recent Exito decals, about their Fock Wulf sheet. Now of the 3 planes in it is for a A-5 armed only with the cowl MGs and the wing root 20mm Mauser... Just like Graf plane. So instead of having it for another year(s), I decided to use the model, getting a completely different camouflage camouflage, while retaining the most of the lower 76 paint and also keeping the upper wing crosses, that like the genuine plane, kept the 74/75 factory applied colours. Let's see how it goes, I've never refurbished a kit at this level. My idea is just remove the old decals (minus the aforementioned upper wing and lower wing insignias) and repaint the upper surfaces in thin paint layers.

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Uh, not sure what happened when posting this topic, but we received multiple copies of it in the database. Cleaned now. Happy posting.

• Profile Photo

Ufff, thank you very much! Had a wifi speed issue that mislead me thinking the problem was in my phone since every time I pressed the upload button nothing happened. My apologies for the inconvenience

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 3 months ago:

"we received multiple copies of it in the database."

At least 37 copies of it on my Inbox + the original Rocha's post, it makes it 38. For the same post!

"Had a wifi speed issue that mislead me thinking the problem was in my phone since every time I pressed the upload button nothing happened."

Good that, as I understand it, someone was able to delete the extra 37 clones posted 😉

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I'd try using tape to lift the old decals off. The ones you don't want to use over again. It seems to work great for me.

I have a solid RLM 79 upper color desert Bf-109 tropical that I want to repaint in a few places. I want to make it look like a JG 3 machine from Barbarossa and add some RLM 02 and some shade of darker green paint on top of the Sand Gelb. The sand color would still remain visible in some places.

My thoughts were to simply spray right over the original fuselage numbers in a slightly different color and change the number of the plane by applying a new decal over the freshly sprayed color. If you really wanted to, you could do this in a series of very light coats of paint. This would allow the original number to show up ever so slightly... just a thought.

It would really be a duplicate of how the original planes were often done. My Bf-109 would end up looking something like this:

Just my thoughts. You could do the same thing to your 190. The background areas behind the National Insignia crosses were often times completely masked off during the repainting. The original colors would show then up behind the crosses.

Looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Louis, the decal remove should be easy, the hard part will be masking the upper wing crosses without damage. Other than that it will be pretty much a work as you also describe. Thanks mate!
    Adolfo, not my finest post here, but I’m sure I didn’t press the button 38 times, something went wrong causing such delay that it replicated the 5 or 6 attempts I made. Terrible sorry for the mess it caused

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Sounds like a great project! I've never tackled a "re-do" before either. Good luck - I look forward to seeing how you handle it, and how it comes out.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

It might be possible to use the small "post it" self adhesive notes as a masking material. They are very low tack and hopefully will not adhere too well on the upper wing crosses. You can lay them on top of the crosses at a right angle to each other to act as an improvised mask.

If by chance they do cause damage to the upper wing cross decals, the upper crosses should be fairly easy to replace, or possibly even spray back on if they become damaged. I have also seen various pictures where the real life 1 to 1 scale crosses had overspray on them as if they were not masked off at all during the repaint in the field.

Look at the fuselage cross on this Fw-190. Part of it is actually appears to be missing ! It was a repaint in the field... as evidenced by the over spray on the cross at the 10 O' clock position, just next to the vertical bar behind the chevron. The center part of the cross was sprayed over using a darker camouflage color. Typically this would have been a black color, but you can tell that it is not since it looks to be a different color from the chevron and vertical bar... which are presumably black.

This could be an option too. Try to free hand spray the new colors on and paint as close to the edge of the cross as you can. If a little over spray gets on them so be it. Who can prove otherwise unless they come up with a picture ?

It's yours so re-do it in the manner that makes you the happiest. That's all that matters in the end.

Please keep us posted, on the use of the post it notes (and I hope this helps)
    Thanks 🙂

• Profile Photo

That’s a good idea Louis, been some time since I use post-it brand stuff. I have several post-it that are not the genuine stuff and their glue is of less quality,albeit satisfactory for white collar work 😉 gonna try it as let you know. Anyway the fun challenge this remaking of an almost completed build is what drives me to go forward.

About the overspray, yes that happend especially in winter field applied camo, though far less in my opinion when it came to western front planes, where topical German efficiency was the rule. The center of Herr Burath FW190 Cross was never intended to be painted black I reckon. Sometime during the mid-war Germany began simplifying the paint time used during construction, as to increase the output of numbers produced. So using the 74 or 75 Camo was a lot quicker. Thanks for the input my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years ago:

The “rebirth” of this hangar queen is almost done. I ended up removing 95% of the original 74/75/76 paint due to the irregular surface finish, all too obvious with the new colours applied. Varnish, oils and some dirt/dust aren’t a good foundation for a smooth finish, so a steady alcohol rubbing removed the paint and some tape removed the Graf version decals. Here are some poor quality photos, but the complete model and some better photos will be coming around in a day or so.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.