Reggiane 2000 1.ª Serie: Special Hobby

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 50 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Marcus Vinicius Teixeira Borges said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Muito interessante o tema e está indo bem Pedro.Acompanhando!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I have the "export" (Swedish J20) release. Seeing what you're doing is helpful, @holzhamer.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The only thing I was still awaiting arrived this Monday, the SH mask set fir their own kit

Now you probably remember my mumbling about the lack of raised detail or decals for the Instrument dials, so guess what? This set bring some decals “as a bonus”. Well those should be part of the kit from the start, still I wasn’t expecting them so it was a bittersweet flavour upon spotting them inside.

There’s no point in adding more details to the cockpit since I found that once you glue the “bathtub” as a whole not much will be visible even with an open canopy

The resin headrest is almost done, all it needs is the leather pad painted, and the seat is also done and quite good in its forms. Some PE seatbelts follow to complete the part.

Yesterday evening I cut the clear parts from their sprue and proceed to mask and paint the interior color. To my surprise a large nob was visible on the interior of the rear most part of the canopy, so big it didn’t allow the piece to settle down evenly. So I cut it to size, no issue, but only when I began painting became visible a large whole from the outside exactly where the plastic nob was

putty to the rescue 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The detailing/weathering is done very nicely, Pedro.
    Very nice looking interior.
    Pity about that canopy part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice progress, my friend @holzhamer!
    Good that an IP decal arrived, better late than never, even if it was in a masks package!
    Nice transparencies job. That hole is annoying!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

With SpecialHobby increasing their co-op with eduard I really think both companies benefit from it. As far as I have been able to tell so far their masks are just as nice and accurate as the eduard ones - I suspect they are made on the same machine 🙂

Great cockpit by the way - looks so nice!

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys for the feedback.
    @airbum Erik the masks are kabuki type but I don’t think their origin is the same as Eduard. I recommend a sharp blade before pulling the mask because there are always one or two areas where the precut wasn’t sharp. Besides the quality of the paper is slightly different but in no way inferior to that of Eduard.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Shading in the cockpit looks great, Pedro (@holzhamer). I am glad the hole in the canopy was someplace that could be fixed without marring the glass. Lately I have found that masks never tend to fit perfectly and need to be trimmed, but that may be my fault rather than the mask.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Your painting techniques never cease to amaze me. The cockpit shading is just outstanding.

Pre cut masks sure are a life saver and a timer saver these days. They certainly have come a long way ever since Eduard dialed them in thanks to the latest computer software. Remember those early vinyl and what looked like Avery white paper label die cut masks that were a complete waste of time and never close to fitting? If it’s only a few canopy panes, I cut my own.

• Profile Photo

@gblair Thanks George. I’m sure there are occasions where we don’t get them tight, but I’ve came across twice masks that simply were small for the areas where they were suppose to fit and cover.
    @eb801 Thanks Eric. I agree with you, masks have been getting better and better, thou some are still best avoided. Take my latest experience with Montex vinyl in another WIP for instance. One very useful mask set I purchased a few years ago was Maketar Canopy survival set, that offers a lot of angles of kabuki paper to allow us to mask fully or just do small touch ups.

Anyway the cockpit is almost completed as is the engine. Just a few extra details and pieces painted and I can start thinking in joining the fuselage halves.
    The IP decals settled nicely though they are somewhat basic

Added some dials (not supplied in the kit) for a couple of areas, including the ground floor ahead of the joystick and sidewall
    As mentioned earlier, once all four sides are joined, not much remains visible
    The engine
    And the resin wheels done
    All they need now is some weathering and some dry brush on the tire logos.
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great, solid progress, my friend @holzhamer!
    The engine rocks!

• Profile Photo

Thank you my friend @fiveten still needs some wires and a couple more pushrods that are to be added individually, but this engine is pretty good OOB

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 3 years, 1 month ago:

“ As mentioned earlier, once all four sides are joined, not much remains visible”
    At least you build the 1:48 version, my 1:72 is even worse from this point of view.

• Profile Photo

Lol Csaba, the pains of 1/72 scale cockpits have reached the bigger scale on this one 😉

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Your work in the cockpit really brings it alive, Pedro (@holzhamer). People's eyes always seem to gravitate toward the cockpit, so your work there pays off in the long-run, even if only a little of it is visible.