Revell 1/32 Heinkel He219 A-0/A-2 ”Uhu” Nachtjäger Dual Build

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 34 · 3 years ago · 1/32, He219, Heinkel, Revell, Uhu
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!

By following Chuck A. Villanueva's @uscusn thread of his 1/48 Tamiya Uhu amazing build (https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/tamiya-heinkel-he-219-uhu-1-48/?topic_page=1&num=15), Louis Gardner @lgardner and yours truly, decided to do a simultaneous build of 1/32 Uhus!

(Thanks wiki!) The Heinkel He 219 Uhu ("Eagle-Owl") is a night fighter that served with the German Luftwaffe in the later stages of World War II. A relatively sophisticated design, the He 219 possessed a variety of innovations, including Lichtenstein SN-2 advanced VHF-band intercept radar, also used on the Ju 88G and Bf 110G night fighters. It was also the first operational military aircraft to be equipped with ejection seats and the first operational German World War II-era aircraft with tricycle landing gear. Had the Uhu been available in quantity, it might have had a significant effect on the strategic night bombing offensive of the Royal Air Force; however, only 294 of all models were built by the end of the war and these saw only limited service.

The Revell kit is simply amazing!

It belongs to the great Revell post 2000 new models generation.

Lots of details, crisp clear parts, a quality decal sheet, nice "modern style" instructions, nice price. What more could someone ask for?

Oh, and did I mention the finished plane will be HUGE?

Louis already had the kit in his stash; I found a sealed one at an offer I couldn't say no (roughly $45)

Lots of modeling projects are currently running, but I believe tomorrow I will cut some sprue!

It is so great that I will build together with Louis, a true friend and a person I fully respect.

I am so honored, Sir!

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

It would appear that your workbench in only just big enough to accomodate this build my friend. Popcorn ready, strapped in to follow these builds - bring them on my friends (@fiveten, @lgardner)!

• Profile Photo

Will do with great pleasure, my friend @airbum!
    Those are lovely kits! (...a tad on the big side...)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten
    What an incredible entry ! Thank you for starting this joint venture, and I am honored to build another model with you. You are a true friend, and you have my full respect too.

The box by itself is fairly large. It covers most of the work space on my assembly bench !

I have started building mine and have done some work on the cockpit. Here are a few pictures that show some of the work I have done so far. The cockpit tub has been built, and some of the smaller parts shown here are ready for the initial painting of RLM 66 at this point in assembly. The seats and the radio / radar have also been built.

These parts have since been painted in an overall coat of 66, but I still have to take pictures, and paint the small detailed areas.

These next two photos show the seats and the radar / radio arrangement temporarily placed in position. I have not glued these parts in place permanently yet. It does look to be very nicely detailed right out of the box.

The only addition I will do to mine is to add an aftermarket seat harness set. I'm sure that if someone wanted to go crazy and super detail this area, the results would be highly visible, since I'm fairly certain the canopy can be posed in the open position. Personally, I'm happy the way it is and will not take any extra steps with mine, other than the seat harnesses.

I also have removed the propellers from the plastic trees, and painted them, using RLM 70. These props are big enough to fly a small helicopter ! 🙂

This is going to be a very impressive model once it's all completed. Thanks for starting this build journal. 🙂

These pictures were taken a little while ago. I have to do something different, or replace the battery in my phone in order to post more current pictures. I have a Plan B in place, so no need to worry.

Erik, @airbum
    You might need some more popcorn ! I have a feeling this venture will be a fun build to watch.

I will also get some pictures taken, and start the build journal for the 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito very soon. I know that I have made comments about this for a while, but I promise you it is in the works.

Thanks for following along with us. 🙂
    Merry Christmas everyone !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Talking about the factory building at above capacity Spiros, Even the Gardner Iron works would have a hard time keeping up with your construction pace. That is one excellent kit to start on. A few I have seen built look very well. Louis also is on this as well. I have 3 48th scale medium size bombers, 2 Lightnings in progress and a 72nd B-24, the work desk is packed. The Uhu will probably still be larger with those kits combined. And a pair of Corsairs about to get started on. Like Erick, make some more room for me to strap in.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friends @lgardner and @uscusn!

Louis, it is great you've done some great progress so far! You are a step ahead, so, all I have to do is follow your steps! Hopefully, I will cut some sprue tonight!

Chuck, there are quite a few modeling projects running on my bench simultaneously, the Noratlas being an unavoidable outsider.

The EoJ Ki-45 has reached the weathering stage, so the finish line is not that far away.

The Hellenic Air Force wheels up Buckeye is in mid painting status. The Otter of our friend's Erik @airbum DH100GB is well underway too. Then, it is your Gulf War GB's Tornado.

The plan to start the Uhu at a relaxed pace, going full throttle after the Ki-45 and Buckeye completion which, hopefully, will take place next week. The Tornado will be reactivated after the Otter completion.

No matter what, this is so enjoying and totally fun: what is better than building together with friends?

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Oh man - I have the Dragon Uhu in 1/72...do I have space on my bench...? (I have been on a German kick recently, with my Ju-188, Hs 129, and Fi 167, and I had been considering either the Uhu or a Ju-86))

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That is a lot of plastic to put together, Spiros @fiveten.
    Over 50cm, that is huge.
    Definitely are going to follow this thread, my friend.

• Profile Photo

Sprue cut! - and onto the cockpit!

The level of provided cockpit detail is really amazing (for a pure styrene kit). The parts are crisply molded, with an udrestandable tiny hint of flashing here and there, requiring minor cleanup before assembly. The styrene quality is good, as well: not too hard, not too soft, nice and workable. A modeler could scrape off the molded-on seat belts and add extras, for a more realistic look.

It is simply miraculous how Revell managed to provide such a big kit with such a quality at THAT price. Ahhhhhhh, those heroic Revell years!

There's still some assembly to be done at the cockpit, before appying the RLM 66 base color, I had to leave basic cockpit construction in the middle, as it was midnight and my younger son decided not to sleep, but to fly "aircraft missions" allover the basement, him being the leader with the in progress 1/72 Noratlas, yours truly the wingman with the also in progress 1/72 Buckeye...!)

Thanks my friends @gkittinger and @johnb for commenting!

Greg, I would love to hear that you made the neccessary bench arrangements, in order to host your Uhu! The Ju-86 is a beloved plane/model also...oh well!

John, this is a huge plane for sure and there's a lot of plastic indeed. It seems to be a "complex but not complicated" kit, meaning a lot of parts, but since I decided to do the radical innovation and follow the instructions ( 🙂 ), it seems to go along nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Given I have this kit, which has been sitting in the stash now for over six years, I am going to follow you two crazy men and watch these projects and look for inspiration to pull mine out some time in the future. Although where I'll put it when completed...

I like the fact you're both going for "Just Do It." When this kit came out, the Professional Nitpickers picked a lot of nits, none of which I could really see in the few completed models that got displayed.

Proceed onward, gentlemen.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom @tcinla!
    Hope you pull your kit out soon!

• Profile Photo

Initial RLM66

With "basic-structural" cockpit elements put together, an initial coating of RLM66 was applied allover, including fuselage halves cockpit walls and seats.
    More to come!

• Profile Photo

Some more progress

I glued the two flaps housings into each lower wing half and attached the wing halves. I then started to build up the main wheel wells and assembled the two engine nacelles. Fit was almost Tamiya. Many critical joints were fortified with liquefied styrene, as I try to avoid nasty parts splitting apart surprises when it is too late...

Instructions want you to trap 50g weight into each nacelle front, before attaching it at the wing. I decided to trap some fishing weights, "wrappped" with my sons modeling clay and formed to fit in the corresponding opening. This is the progress so far:

And this is how the whole kit looks:

Overall kit impression so far is AMAZING!

As you may have noticed, I have really gone nuts and follow the instructions. I believe this radical action may help potential builders in building the specific kit...

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

WHAT - you actually read the instructions? That is some brave decision my friend 🙂
    Keep it comin' Spiros (@fiveten).

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Wow! That's going to be a heck of a impressive build Spiros! Talk about big!
    I am looking forward to following this .
    With all the model production you do, when do you find time for sleep? Do you build models in your dreams? I caught myself doing that once.