Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 T-2E ”Buckeye”, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Matchbox, Revell, T-2
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Very nice my friend!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks my friends @airbum and @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Great job @fiveten, what also works for glossy transparant glass is nail laquer. For once you can justify buying some in a suitable color as a male. Just tell the shopkeeper you are a modeler and they will surely understand!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @michel-verschuere! I will try nail lacquer for sure!
    I added the windscreen and canopy. Fit was ok, with some gaps, especially at the back of the canopy, all taken care of white glue.:

Upon drying, any required microtouchups will take place; then it will be attached to its base!
    Thanks for stopping by

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

It just amazing what a canopy can do to give it that finished look. This is one of the best looking Buckeyes I’ve ever seen. But it sure looks tiny sitting on the wing of the Su-27 you’re working on.

I gather that lacquer nail polish is just like any lacquer paint and comes in transparent finishes? Do you brush it on or?

• Profile Photo

I have never used nail lacquer, I guess it can be brushed, my friend @eb801.

Maybe Michel @michel-verschuere can tell us some tips!

Meanwhile, I touched up the canopy and the Buckeye model is finished:

All it misses is the base, that I am going to tackle today.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Even without the base, it does look fantastic already, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

@eb801 @fiveten I used nail lacquer before, but only on plastic models. Not on photo models nor on myself, there is NO drag queen version of myself. Just to make things clear 😀

I use nail lacquer because it sets rock hard and had a high surface tension. You can use it in multiple layers to mimic rounded glass covers on lights etc. You can thin it using lacquer thinner or acetone (make sure to use it in ventilated space).

I like the texture of it: It sets absolutely glossy. Also, there is a wide variety of colors in the womans' corner of your local supermarket. So next time you join your other half there, you have an excuse to spend some time looking for the right lacquer!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @johnb and @michel-verschuere!
    Definitely will give nail polish a try!

• Profile Photo

The base

I settled on using a leftover base (only the bottom part) from an 1:100 Collection Armour Metal F-14 (do you remember them? Beloved metal models,taken over from Franklin Mint sometime ago, not sure if they are still produced - most likely not). Here's how the F-14 looked in its box:

And here is the bottom part of the base:

After a light sanding I applied a two coats of Plastikote Silver. I then shaved off the two protrusions of the supporting block and drilled two holes at the bottom of the T-2:

I attached the supporting block under the T-2 with 2 screws (I did not glue it, so as to make the block removeable:

I attached the T/2 on the base. It is a tight fit, so no bolts are necessary. I also applied a "T-2 BUCKEYE" decal onto the base (this was the header decal at the decal sheet). After an application of Future onto the base (to seal the decal AND the silver paint)...

I called the Major General's Buckeye done!

Thanks my friends for keeping me constructive company during this build!

The most joyful part of all was finding out and reading your comments upon my progress!

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 3 months ago:

It looks spectacular on its base Spiros! Stunning build! Two thumbs up from me!

• Profile Photo

Thanks for following my build, my friend @mornem!

• Profile Photo

That thumb up from your son is well deserved my friend, Spiros @fiveten
    You can also count me for a big thumb up.
    It looks fantastic on this base in flying position.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb! Glad you followed along!