Revell (Matchbox) 1/72 T-2E ”Buckeye”, Hellenic Air Force

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 161 · 3 years ago · 1/72, Hellenic Air Force, Matchbox, Revell, T-2
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Along time ago - probably in the late 90's (although it seems like yesterday), i asked the owner of our last remaining hobby shop within 75 miles of me, now long gone, why no one under 20 builds models anymore? His reply, "The writing was on the wall when kids could afford to buy video games with their allowances."

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I cannot agree more, my friend @eb801...
    It' s a pity that many (most) of the younger generation will not acquire the skills and resulting benefits of actually using their hands and mind to build something...

• Profile Photo

Navilights

This is how the tank integrated wingtip lights look:

You can see a transparent glass, attached to an aluminum rim.
    To replicate them, I first painted the tip of the tank silver with my Pilot extrafine silver pen and, upon drying, I affixed a red/green microdab of clear paint at each silver tip. Here is how the port one looks:

Should be ok after some surrounding touchup.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very detailed, Spiros.
    Looks great already before the touchup.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @johnb!
    And the final coating:

Thanks for stopping by.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Spiros those Nav lights on the tip tanks are going to make a world of difference. You did a great job and it's the small details that stands out! Well done. Can't wait to see this one fresh off the assembly line!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, my friend @mornem!
    Well, let me truthfully say that, seing excellent craftmanship and skills, like yours, together with the encouragement I get from here, are the main motivators for me to attempt such "improvisations"

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Likewise my friend. That's what makes this site so great. A great community of modelers that are supportive!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Nice job on the lights, Spiros (@fiveten). They really look the part in the photo.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair!
    Clear paint on top of silver creates some interesting effects!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Spiros, @fiveten

Wow ! This is an incredible build my friend. Unfortunately for me, I have not been following this project. It has slipped under my radar...I will go back later on tonight and read this journal from the very beginning, as I am sure that I missed some very important steps along the way. I always pick up one or two neat tricks from reading your journals. They are very informative and you do a fantastic job with explaining the steps as you go.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lgardner!
    Makes me proud that you find some of my techniques interesting!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice finish, Spiros @fiveten.
    Is this a satin coat?
    A pitty about those pebbles, I'm wondering how you approach that micropolishing.

• Profile Photo

It is gloss/matt at about 70/30, my friend @johnb.
    I will see how it looks after curing and locally and very carefully sand it with 3200 grit. Then spot apply some coating (hoping to work!... 🙂 )

• Profile Photo

Looks like the final finish is not that bad after curing, so no remedial action on the pebbling!
    I affixed two gunsight glasses on the top of each dashboard with white glue. I know, the gunsights look much more complicated in reality, with their busy boxy looks...oh well!
    Anyway, here it is:

Upon white glue drying, the canopy will be attached.
    Thanks for stopping by!