Scratch build 1/24 scale Aerotek Ace prototype – Part 1

Started by Adrian Starling · 194 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Beautiful work Adrian! Me thinks you may be a little OCD like me...such attention to detail and so clean and organized.

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Many thanks Greg, I appreciate your kind words and you are right! I find that calculated decisions in the build process makes for less finishing and a cleaner final product borne from many mishaps in the learning curve!

• Profile Photo
    Adrian Starling said 3 years, 1 month ago:

The Ace is moving again - the tail wing/elevator and tail were the main areas for construction. The fuselage moved to the paint shop for priming and smoothing and the spinner/ engine cowl also got its first coat. I then started doing some fitment/ alignment and things have turned out fairly well. The wings fit well and the next step will be to get the tail wing fitted and filled with a removable elevator as I am not sure how I will present the aircraft at the end! The landing flaps will be cut out of the wing as these may be dropped later and wings secured in place. Finally the wheel wells will be built on both wing undersides and the two wingtips completed. Onto the next job and hope you enjoy the update!

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

great progress Adrian, the fuselage looks brilliant.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is magic scratchbuilding, Adrian!
    Keep the updates coming, my friend!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Erik, lots of refinement still to do but I am happy with the first visit to the paint shop! Appreciate your continued support!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks Spiros, will do! Exciting when the all the work starts looking like an aircraft!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is building to perfection, Adrian.
    Absolute great looking.

• Profile Photo

Thank you so much John, appreciate your kind words. You are also creating a spectacular Walrus!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Good morning Adrian. Your build is progressing very well. I like the overall shape of this aircraft. This is masterclass work from a true master!

• Profile Photo

Good morning Morne, many thanks for your kind words as always! I agree, the shape is beautiful but it sadly never made full time production and only 2 were constructed. A costly exercise!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I am just jumping into this amazing build, Adrian (@adrianstarling). I can't even guess at the number of hours it takes to get a scratchbuild to this point. Looking forward to the rest.

• Profile Photo

Hi George, yes the project was started in late December and there have been a few hours put in but I must say that I really like the aircraft so it has been exciting! The Mirage F1 AZ, also in this iM Group has taken 3 years + but it is a beast with lots of detail! Thanks for dropping in and thanks for your interest!

• Profile Photo

It’s been a slow couple of weeks but structurally important! I have set both brass wing connector lugs to hold the wings in the correct position and built the wing tips, gear bays and refined the rear cockpit fuselage section. The flaps have been cut and tail/ elevator sanded to the correct dimensions and all primed in dark grey until all elements are finely sanded before priming in Tamiya fine grey primer and ready for scribing. A slow process but the Ace is starting to look like an aircraft! The next phase is to complete the forward cockpit /fuselage to accept the canopy frame before fitting the canopy.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This is such amazing job, my friend @adrianstarling.
    It looks more and more like the real thing. Grey primed already looks nice and fine.
    Looking forward to this fantastic project!