Silver Horse, and Fighting Rooster
I first encountered the Mustang model in the early nineties. It was an Airfix kit from the Aircraft of the aces series. Of course, then the model seemed to be perfect in its performance. I painted it with the usual Humbrol paints and a brush. I return to this construction after more than twenty years with no less nostalgia than then. I thought about what to buy for a long time, but I still feel attracted to models made in natural metal color. So, after analyzing the available markings, the 315th squadron of the Polish Armed Forces in the west fell. The so-called Dębliński Squadron, which upheld the tradition of the pre-war aviation training center in Dęblin and also the pre-war 112th fighter squadron. This unit initially used Spitfires, then in March 1944 it switched to Mustang Mk. III.
Eugeniusz Horbaczewski, an outstanding pilot. He flew in 315 squadron and died in 18 august 1944 after hard battle: 12 Mustangs Mk. III vs 60 Fw 190. He shoot down probably two or Three Fw-190 but was hit by AA fire and crash landed. An ace with 16.5 confirmed planes kills and one unconfirmed and one damage. But the story of this pilot is a topic for a separate project ...
After some reflection, I chose the Kovozavody Prosteiov set as a model, which had quite positive reviews. However, I did not expect that some of the disadvantages mentioned are actually quite significant. In general, the model folded well, had a really well-made cockpit, which, apart from the belts, did not require any accessories. Also, the beautifully made recesses of the main landing gear looked great (a very cleverly made form in the form of a separate element). It was also very good to assemble the main landing gear. Nicely crafted undercarriage wheels with grooves in the tread. So much for the pros. The disadvantage was the practical non-putty of the elements. There was a minimal collapse on the joining of the halves of the cauldron, possibly due to shrinkage of the injection mold. The element was difficult to sand perfectly with sandpaper and even more difficult to putty. Fortunately, in the original, the engine covers are also split. But to be honest the wing-to-fuselage fit was perfect. The biggest disappointment, however, was the cockpit canopy. It was just too wide one time, and two made for simplicity with a piece of the fuselage, which spoiled the effect significantly. Also canopy not fit good at all on fuselage. It was dissapointed for me. Also wing landing lamp was very very poor molded, and didn't fit well. Academy dealt with this problem, so maybe the producer's savings were apparent and the effect was weak? The auxiliary fuel tanks were also made of a different material than the rest of the moldings. (resin casting?). The surface was slightly rough. Good thing these were just tanks. When it comes to marking, I decided to use Polish made Techmod decals. It turned out that despite the fact that they are really nicely printed, they are terribly delicate. Working with decals was very stressful and tiring (I used Micro Set and Micro Sol fluid). Unfortunately, the decal with the registration number was damaged (it was successfully repaired with the spare numbers from the set). The squadron's emblems were also damaged (also one of "K" letters was broken, but fortunetly fit into one piece on fuselage), and I finally decided to take them off, bought a new set and put them on the model. Every cloud has a silver lining! It turned out that the next set of decals I bought has no black borders on the emblem, which is correct! So the former had a bug that I didn't even notice! So the karma prank was on purpose, for which I thank her! Model painted with reliable paints Mr Color Super Fine Silver II (some panels in Super Silver Chrome II). Some details in dull Aluminum Vallejo Metal Color paint. Also Coat of clear X-35 Tamiya. Anti Glare panel was painted by C304 Olive Drab. The interior elements were painted with US Interior Green Mr Hobby paint. Also I build flexible, very thin 7mm long antenna (soaked by CA Glue) from rigging wire from AK. It was hard work! Lieutenant Lis will return with another model in NMF livery 🙂 I would also like to thank the good spirit of this construction, thanks to which the model was created as presented here and at the times indicated 😉
PS. For me to forget! I replaced the original, poorly cast machine guns with barrels from the Fine Molds .50 cal M2 MG set.
10 additional images. Click to enlarge.