Tamiya 1/48 Douglas F4D-1 Skyray

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 56 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I second that motion Chuck ! I'd love to see Jeff B @mikegolf
    build up an Abrams... I'm sure that he would do it justice.

Speaking of doing some good work, your pilot's office is starting to really shape up rather well...

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

The Skyray is a good one, Chuck. It certainly IS one of, if not THE prettiest jet the Navy/USMC has used.

Thanks for the nice comments, fellas - about an M1A1. I do plan to do one or 2, but don't hold your breath to see it finished in the near future. I'm so speedy, you can time me with a sundial! Plus, I have to go clean out an area so I can make an assembly area/paint area in the back room. That area was the original attached garage. It's always been storage since WE moved in 23 years ago, but I can clear out some junque to make an assembly area ... but there is a LOT of junque to find room for! (You may notice my spelling of the work "junk." That's because junque represents a higher CLASS of junk than normal.)

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

😉

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Next step is to assemble the seat and attach the nose gear well to the floor of the cockpit.

The nose wheel bay is already painted Tamiya Gloss White. Removed from the sprue and attached to the cockpit floor.

Next 4 parts make up the seat, 3 shown here.

The 4th bit will be attached later in the build. The seat is quite detailed. No need for an aftermarket one really. Only the seat belts is all you need to make a nice seat. The RH PE side console is attached to the RH fuselage side.

The aforementioned seat belts are from an Eduards zoom set. Painted and attached to the seat. Really makes a difference.

Next a lead fishing weight to keep the nose down on its gear when completed, The interior is loose and checking fit before attaching the LH side fuselage half.

Once satisfied the fuselage is assembled around the cockpit. And for now the forward section is completed at this stage of the build.

Next up the main body. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Finally getting back on the Ford that has been idle for awhile. The nose assembled, next a sub assembly in building the horizontal all moving integrated tail.

Simple quick assembly which will allow it to move on the kit. Though in the end, it may be difficult for it to move once it is installed into the hull of the fuselage.

Next is to assemble the interior components within the main fuselage.

The intake and fan are prepainted Tamiya Gloss White and Vallejo Aluminum.

The lower half of the airframe is where most of the work will take place in this session.

The main gear bay sides on this kit are well detailed and consist of 1 part that will box in the bay.

Next is to attach the fan and bulkhead just forward of the wheel bays.

The upper half contains the roof section of the gear bays and the upper intaking. All prepainted Gloss White.

Next the wing fold inserts are installed into the lower section. So far all the parts have fit well into their location on the model. Just not taking for granted still that all will align properly while test fitting the upper half. Next up is completing the main fuselage. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Lookin' REAL good, Chuck! I've never seen how a wing-fold is done on any of the new kits. The last I personally saw - and only one, as I recall - was on the old Monogram Son-of-a-Bi ... , uh BUCK 2nd Class (SB2C) Helldiver made in the early 1960s. Pretty primitive details in comparison, I'd imagine!

• Profile Photo

I remember that old Helldiver kit, built that as well as the Corsair, the Hellcat and Wildcat of that generation of Monogram kits with the folding wings and retractable landing gear. And realized that wd-40 and model paint didn't mix.

• Profile Photo

With lower half of the main fuselage completed, next is to attach the upper half.

1st is to attach the cooling scoop into the upper hull.

Then place the move able stabs into place before attaching the upper hull. Tight fit here so it won't move very well once the upper hull is attached into place.

Next step is to assemble the main fuselage halves and then attach the nose section.

Prior to assembly I painted the rear exhaust area Vallejo Gun Metal. This area will be easier to mask off when time to paint. At this time I assembled the fuselage rear halves.

Then the nose is attached.

Next is to install the intake lip/splitter plates.

Next up is to install the IP coaming, which should've been installed when the cockpit was first assembled and placed into the nose. No worries it all works out.

Next step, the wing tips and tail rudder. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Cockpit looks very nice! Looking forward to the rest of the build. I understand the actual Skyray was a dog to fly, but it sure looks nice as a model. It was one of those planes that just looks fast.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Quick update on the Skyray. Assembled the drop tanks. Rather large ones at that.

Next step to work on the wings and tail. I will configure this with the wings folded. For space. Like the real planes. Hangar space.

Next 2 pieces make up the tail/rudder assy. Quick assembly and attach it to the fuselage.

Next the outer wing panels are removed the from the sprues.

Each side assembled, again well fitting components .

Once completed I went ahead and pre shaded the panels. Since I had some black paint in the airbrush and went ahead and did the outer panels.

Next up some more sub assy work and the exhaust nozzles. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 1 month ago:

This update on the Skyray. Here I painted the exhaust nozzle and tail cone. First spraying Alclad exhaust in the exhaust pipe. Model Master Burnt metal on the outer edge of the tail cone.

Exhaust turbine is Vallejo steel.

Next to install the canopy clear bits.

What Tamiya continues to do so far I have experienced is very nice clear parts. This kit is no exception. Starting with the windshield.

Next up is the rear inner canopy brace. Painted MM Flat Black enamel. Then carefully attached into the canopy.

Not only very clear parts, they also fit very well on the model.

Next to mask of the framing with Tamiya tape. Jets are much easier to do than the multi wing paneled canopies of WWII multi engine aircraft and their turrets and observer windows. Like the Betty.

So I rarely ever get a canopy mask set for most of my jet builds.

At this time some sub assy work. Like the huge drop tanks this plane carries.

Then the early Aim 9 sidewinders as well. Already in Tamiya Gloss White.

Time to go over the airframe before apply the pre-shading. Though this won't have too much weathering as most of the images show the Skyray pretty clean.

Next up start painting. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years ago:

With the airframe prepped and ready for paint. The first step is to airbrush black around the canopy and windshield framing. I use Tamiya Nato Black for this step.

Let that set and then start airbrushing the undersurfaces Tamiya Glossy White.

Painting the undersurfaces, gear doors and gear assy's. Then as this does dry quickly.

Then topside the flying surfaces are airbrushed white as well, which includes the tail rudder and ailerons.

I also paint both drop tanks.

Before setting off to dry overnight, I paint the nose cone Tamiya Flat Black. And will this and the white sections off for the the Gull Grey upper surfaces. That to follow.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

Pre-shading has always been a hit or miss prospect for me. Looking forward to the rest of the paint job.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Thanks George, not too much on this build as these were kept pretty clean even at sea. But I do know about pre shading...it works for the most part but at times as if it doesn't show much especially over the top on multi color schemes. I have much better results on the under surfaces which is more effective.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Coming along well Chuck. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Coming along nicely Chuck, looking forward to seeing her done.