Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt, 1/48. Razorback and Bubbletop, Europe and Asia.

Started by Harvey R. · 84 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Harvey R. said 2 years, 1 month ago:

I've definitely ran into what you're describing Eric, and no I haven't come up with a better solution! I think it may just be the sad trade off between the darker more precise but far more time consuming enamel panel line wash and the much more easier clay wash.

That being said, I don't have too much of an issue as I'm only using them for the panel lines, I have tried to use clay to weather the panels themselves but quickly stopped doing that as it does always fade. I wonder if applying the pigment with a slightly stronger medium, like very thinned down PVA glue, could protect it though I haven't ever tried anything like that.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Seems like we modelers are always searching for the perfect medium to use when it comes to weathering. I also switched to using enamel based washes for panel lines and found Tamiya’s accent colors and some of MIG products work very well. Trick is not to let these washes dry too long or they become a real pain to remove all the unwanted traces especially over acrylic clear coats like Future. That’s why I keep handfulls of Q-Tips on my work bench.

So now I use a combo of clay powders and enamel based washes. What sends me up the wall is when I discover I forgot to clean up a smudge or line etc after I sealed it with a flat coat. Always a never ending learning process isn’t it?

• Profile Photo

A Couple of Small Additions

Firstly, some chipping. I tried to keep it quite tame and looked largely at the photos posted way towards the beginning of this thread.

For the RAF bird, I honestly can't see much chipping in photographs but I added a little bit just to make things a little more interesting, keeping it more mild than the razorback.

I also added some exhaust stains, not a lot. I've seen some threads claiming that the Thunderbolt has no exhaust stains which is obviously false. That being said, not a huge amount of photos really highlight the underside of any aircraft clearly which makes this a bit of a guesswork, I decided to go with less and may increase it later. The earlier picture of the underside of the Thunderbolt with asymmetrical markings may have a long trail of staining, or it may just be shadows, naturally on B&W its difficult to see.

Finally, I got those landing legs done. One less thing to worry about.

Tomorrow I'll do some oil weathering. I still have no real idea what I'm doing when it comes to oils, it's normally my least favourite part of the build due to that. That being said a general plan is to add some dirt/dust around the wing roots, maybe do some dot filtering on the wings, and use some streaking to represent oil leakage which is a given with any warbird.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Harvey, looking great as always, and looking forward to seeing the oil work, however restrained.

I think that what you've done with the exhaust stains looks appropriate, with perhaps some blacken soot after final finish coat?

Also, a note on the P-47 exhaust in general... what you see there is the wastegate outlet. What looks like a butterfly valve in that opening is indeed just that, because this is the wastegate exit for the turbo-supercharger. Under normal running conditions this valve could have been opened or closed. However when running the turbo "all-out" (particularly at high altitude) these would open up to limit the amount of hot gases spinning up the turbine to keep from overspinning it when the engine is really pumping out exhaust. So when these valves are closed (and still partially when the are open), most of the exhaust gases exit the fuselage through the turbine housing, which is located in the fuselage, just forward of the tail wheel. That "bulge" that is open aft toward the rear of the fuselage underside is simply a collector hood for the gasses coming out of the large, circular turbine housing. So to my point, some exhaust stains can/should be done there as well. Also, I think the louvers in front of the wastegate port were just additional cowl vents, so I'm not so sure sooty gasses would be emitted from these, though it often looks like some of the wastegate gasses tarnish the rear most of these airways.

I've also read in some locations that many restored P-47's do not functionally use the complex turbo systems, and instead rig the wastegate outlet as the primary exhaust outlet. Be weary of stains seen here in photos of restored P-47's.

If your curious, simply looking up the diagrams for the turbo/exhaust/intake/intercooler system explains some of why the Jug is so jug like. It also explains the poseable intercooler doors on the fuselage, and also what was mentioned above... Sorry if this is tangent or perhaps all something you knew, but I felt obliged to share. 🙂

By the way, I really like the structure and content of your posts, keep the great work coming!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent chipping, Harvey @scalerambush
    Also to me the exhaust stains look alright this way.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Excellent work on the Jugs!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Fantastic job, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo

Thank you all! Andrew, I appreciate the information! I do believe I saw some dirt on that forward intercooler in some photo, but looking back at it it was only 1 photo of a restored example so who knows what shenanigans is going on there. I may tone it down/remove it. I'll definitely add some exhaust to the that turbocharger outlet at the rear, at least on the razorback as I can't imagine the RAF did a huge amount of high altitude flying with their Thunderbolts considering the circumstances. I had heard that the P-47s flying about often lack the turbocharger but I didn't look into it enough to realise the situation with exhaust stains, so I'll give it another check over to see what I can change!

Part of the enjoyable process on models, especially on aircraft you're not accustomed with, is learning the tidbits of information and fact that you otherwise wouldn't have known.

Regardless, here's things are going;

Clear Coats

It was time for that moment, with weathering mostly done at the time I gave them both a clear coat of semi-matt. I always give models two coats to be sure, and at this stage they have a single coat on so I imagine the next photos should look a little different.

I also added some little fiddly bits, the antennas and machine guns are the obvious ones along with the undercarriage and doors. I'm quite surprised with how sturdy the machine guns sit in place and how they actually all point in the right direction, good design there.

Not good design was adding the sprue gate to the end of the barrel, not the side that gets hidden inside the wing. Oh well, nothing that couldn't be touched up. I also added a tiny amount of gunsmoke largely on outboard guns.

One thing not pictured yet is the navigation lights, I've seen people drill a hole into the clear parts and paint the hole to make it look like a coloured bulb. Well this is the first kit I've personally encountered which already has that small indent ready to paint the 'bulb'. Quite handy.

As for the pitot tubes, I spent a few minutes overlooking all the sprues and got quite confused. I then finally brought out the instructions to find the exact part number, only to realise that both pitots had managed to free themselves and are now surely consumed by the carpet monster. No idea when this happened, but I'll fashion some budget sort of spare. I'll either use some parts unused from the seat from the kit, or I'll use some random extra rods I never use with the Corsairs.

• Profile Photo

This is such great progress, my friend @scalerambush! Both are coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo

Indeed great progress, Harvey @scalerambush
    Looking forward to your freshly created pitot tubes.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 1 month ago:

You have definitely hit the "sweet spot" with "Eileen." The airplane was a "war weary" P-47 given to "new boy" Frank Oiler, which was spiffed up with the artwork. Your weathering of the paintwork and the overall finish of the airplane really gets that look.

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much everyone, I appreciate the comment regarding the paintwork especially!

Removing the masks

With a second clear coat done. Time to remove those pesky masks. I can see a definite noticeable difference in the shine since applying the second coat.

No major issues, though a couple of bits pulled up on the razorback's canopy due to the use of the montex mask rather than eduard tape. Nice to see our pilot again.

As you can see I also took off the canopy of the razorback, I didn't take a picture at the time but the first thing I noticed was that it really needed some seatbelts so I'll go ahead and add them. Where the canopy was glued onto the fuselage I obviously didn't paint it, so I sprayed it in the green colour used before and added chipping with a sponge and brush.

The Little Bits

Mostly I focused on ordinance and checking that off the list. Each was given a wash. With the bombs I added the striped decals, and then later went over with a couple shades of green dry brushed across them. This gave them a bit of a cast texture (though honestly a little too much of a texture), but more importantly gave some variation.

Now lets talk about those Xtradecals for the RAF Thunderbolt. I've not had a great time with them, I find that the pinup is quite low detail, the roundels are very weak and ripped, generally not the best I've encountered. What annoys me more is that as far as I'm aware the only photo of this plane that exists is the one posted earlier, the Imperial War Museum lists the serial but Xtradecal puts it down as unknown. More annoyingly they provide a decal for the. 'Jappy Xmas', which is handy, but they don't have the quote marks or the QL54. If you're going through the effort of making part of the writing, why not all? Regardless, I added it with a brush.

And, a kilroy. The bubbletop has one hiding inside the fuselage, so the razorback needed one somewhere. I'll hide it away with his face facing the fuselage to keep him a little incognito.

Propellers were finally given attention. I tried a different approach to weathering than usual by using a black followed by a very dark grey, and then a tiny amount of silver on a sponge to chip the edge. We'll see how much is noticeable once they get a clear coat.

The M8 Rockets are a bit of a pain, painted in flat olive drab they don't take any washes particularly well as they're so dark. I used a little bit of wash to provide a tiny amount of variation on the tubes, and a black was for the lines though I doubt much of it is visible.

Finally the drop tank was just given a simple black wash.

Next up is to clear coat the little bits, sort out the antenna wire and finally make those pitot tubes.

Edit: Hey, what happened to that Eileen decal? I'll see if I can fix that. Hopefully it'd just a paint chip from the cockpit paint masks.

Edit 2: I was hoping it was a bit of paint flaked off of the mask, or at worse a dollop of rogue green as I had to respray to fix the edges of the fuselage that were previously unpainted under the canopy. Turns out that despite receiving a gloss clear over the entire aircraft, and most recently 2 semi-matt clears, this wasn't enough to prevent some tamiya tape lifting up the decal. Oof. Interesting that the names survived fine despite being under the tape too.

Thankfully yellow and red are among the most difficult paints to use by brush! Therefore repainting it shall be fun. Won't hurt to try either way.

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great work, Harvey @scalerambush
    Good to see that mostage back begind the stick.
    All the detailing and weathering looks very nice.

• Profile Photo

Amazing work, including all "little" bits, my friend @scalerambush!

• Profile Photo

The Final Stretch

The last little bit has been a bit of a slog, but I'm happy to say they are finished!*

*Still waiting for those seatbelts on 'Eileen'.

The ordinance was given the clear coats, I used matt on the bombs, semi-matt on the rockets and drop tanks. The bombs fit on the bubbletop just fine without glue, on the razorback the bomb with the kilroy fits fine on the left pylon but not the right. The drop tank fits fine but the rockets need glue. I like to take photos of them clean and with them loaded, so whilst I've taken all the photos I need of the completed Jungle Queen I'll wait until the seatbelts are in for Eileen.

Speaking of Eileen, I very carefully patched up the decal with the airbrush. Despite the risk of using tape, I did very carefully apply tape and was very careful removing it. It needs a clear coat to just seal it in.

The antenna that got knocked off of Eileen was re-added, a pitot tube was made for her too though the little fin got knocked off when photographing. I dropped a bomb on the floor and miraculously found a pitot tube, which is now on Jungle Queen.

Antenna wire was added, as always its Uschi Van Der Rosten's product. I used tape to keep it in place as the superglue dried.

In the previous photos you may notice a bomb rack is missing, no idea where that's gone so I scratchbuilt it quickly.

Finally the formation lights on the underside of the wing were added.

I'll see you hopefully soon when the seatbelts are here!

12 additional images. Click to enlarge.