Tamiya P-51B Mustang 1/48 - Mojo Restoration

Started by Carl Smoot · 41 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months ago:

I'm pushing through to the next phase of the build, namely the weathering. I'll probably switch back to the Constellation before doing that however, because there is quite a bit more work to do on that build and I would like to move it further along.

After painting, I applied a few coats of Tamiya X-22 Clear for the decals. I have been starting to switch over to painting my markings, but as this is a mojo restoration build, it is entirely decals this time. I am using LifeLike decals for the markings. These are not too bad for the larger decals, but the small stenciling is hit or miss with some text represented by small dots and rectangles instead of text. There are text stencils as well and I am not sure why they are mixed resolution since the text is essentially the same size. I did use the Tamiya fuel filler decals instead because they had more detail and I liked the look of them better. Even though the LifeLike decals were printed by Cartograf, they were as stubborn as the Tamiya decals when it came to getting them to lay into the detail. Interestingly, the start and bars (also LifeLike) were printed by MicroScale and they went down beautifully.

Then it was onto adding the remaining parts. In the past I left these off until after weathering for fear of breaking them off, but I always had trouble touching up any glue marks that might occur from the installation. This time, I decided to add everything except the open canopy and rearview mirror. I'll be applying another gloss coat so I can add a panel line wash and protect the decals, then I'll move on to the actual weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

Superb decal job, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

Looks really good, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

Your decals really make this plane shine, Carl (@clipper). I have had similar problems with Life Like decals, but repeated application of MicroSol eventually forced them to lay down. I have also used stronger decal solutions, such as Solvaset, to get things to lay down, but they are very strong and need to be tested on a spare decal to be sure it isn't too strong. I have done some painting of markings, but found that the additional steps in masking and painting can get tedious, so I still mainly use decals.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and George (@gblair). I'm pretty happy with this one so far.

George, What has helped me with masking was to get a Silhouette Portrait vinyl cutter and take the time to design up some masks for things like the national insignia. Lettering is hit or miss depending upon the font used. If the font is available, it's easy, if not, you have to trace around a scan of the decals and then clean that up. That can get tedious.

Painting with masks is different, but it sure does make a big difference in the appearance, especially now that I have figured out how to spray and not leave edges at the masking edges. Two downsides of vinyl cutter masking are its inability to do small lettering and limited applicability to personal markings (unless they are relatively simple) .

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

Hi Carl: I have "borrowed" my wife's Brother Scan and Cut to make stencils. It does a good job, especially when I can scan the markings I need into the machine, tidy them up, then cut them. It also has trouble with small lettering. I do like the way they look painted on the model, but the extra steps sometimes kills my momentum on a kit. I have also found that the vinyl masking material has trouble when used over an irregularly shaped surface. I tried using a sheet of Tamiya masking tape the last time I made stencils, and the tape cut very well but is expensive to use. Currently I only cut my own masks when there are no decals for the markings I need. I suspect that making masks would be quicker and easier if I made more of them, but decals are fine for now.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 9 months ago:

Well, after a few weeks, I finally got around to finishing my two builds (Constellation and the Tamiya P-51B Mustang). They both turned out okay, but I've been distracted by life events quite a bit lately and I don't think I put as much effort into them as I should have. However, here is the Mustang.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Your Mustang looks way better than just okay, Carl @clipper
    Great work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

As is the case with your Constellation, the final result is superb, a real joy to the eye, my friend @clipper!
    Well done!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months ago:

Came out great, Carl (@clipper). Paint and weathering are perfect.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 9 months ago:

Very nice looking Mustang, Carl @clipper. Same goes with your vintage Constellation and diorama. You got your mojo working for sure.